Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-11-2004, 05:20 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Flywheel end play. ?

First, you should have no end play in the flywheel/clutch assemble. The flywheel is bolted to the crankshaft, it has a few thou. end float only.

Second, it makes the noise when the clutch is let out, so it won't be the pilot bearing, or the clutch plate in backwards.

I would think it may be the throwout bearing not held in the throwout fork, just sitting on the input shaft. When the clutch is pressed the bearing centers itself on the clutch fingers, but when the clutch is released the bearing drops down, to rattle on the input shaft.

But it is the end play, that I would worry about.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:55 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
hes right, you should not be able to shift the flywheel or pressure plate at all. It should be very firm. I do not believe the bearing should move front to back either. Check to make sure it is the right clutch kit for the car. if it is it could be something else. Also, put the bearing over the input shaft and then install. do not install the tranny onto the bearing.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
I have everything back on again... Im still getting a noise when the clutch is let out. I have the clutch fork in the ears of the TOB, however i don't know if its in all the way or not...Anyone know if there is a way to tell???Also i can't get any clutch pressure now, if i try to pump the clutch it just goes straight to the floor...Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated...
Old 10-13-2004, 02:26 PM

I was able to get a littel clutch pressure but still as soon as the clutch is let out there is a scratching/wooring sound that is directly related to the rpms of the engine....Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated...
Old 10-13-2004, 05:23 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Derek,

It sounds like you are going to have to drop the tranny again. But before you do that, can you get under the car while the engine is running to pinpoint the location of the noise?

After you drop the tranny, I think there are a couple things you could check:

1) With the transmission in neutral, rotate the input shaft on the transmission to see that it rotates smoothly with no screeching/scraping sounds. I'm a little worried that the shop did not correctly assemble the gearbox and/or test the gearbox.

2) If the noises are due to the clutch assembly, then there should be some scratches visible somewhere.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:42 PM

Ok mychailo here are the results... I listened while running and its definitley coming from right around the TOB and clutch/flywheel area...Again this is only when the clutch is let out, so the TOB shouldn't even be coming into play from what i've been reading on nasioc...Upon spinning the input shaft of the tranny, it spins freely and makes no noises. When the tranny came off it left the TOB on the pressure plate, which means that it was snapped into place like it should of. However the TOB has aprox. 3/4in. in/out freeplay and also wobbles side to side...Does this sound like a faulty TOB or just faulty install???
As far as marks and scratches go, there are none...???The tranny is filled with 3.7 quarts of royal purple..I am truly at a loss here everyone...Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated...
Old 10-13-2004, 06:24 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by want-a-fast-svx
Ok mychailo here are the results... I listened while running and its definitley coming from right around the TOB and clutch/flywheel area...Again this is only when the clutch is let out, so the TOB shouldn't even be coming into play from what i've been reading on nasioc...Upon spinning the input shaft of the tranny, it spins freely and makes no noises. When the tranny came off it left the TOB on the pressure plate, which means that it was snapped into place like it should of. However the TOB has aprox. 3/4in. in/out freeplay and also wobbles side to side...Does this sound like a faulty TOB or just faulty install???
As far as marks and scratches go, there are none...???The tranny is filled with 3.7 quarts of royal purple..I am truly at a loss here everyone...Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated...
Yeah, the TOB is supposed to stay with the pressure plate. When you say the TOB has the freeplay and wobble, do you mean wobble and freeplay against the pressure plate? Its very odd that it only happens when the clutch is released. It would be a bunch of work, but have you thought about dropping the tranny, and reinstalling it without the TOB and clutch fork to see if the noise stops?

Not related to your problem, but I'd suggest switching from Royal Purple to the Redline Shock Proof Lightweight oil. Royal Purple has been getting some bad press on NASIOC lately. Shock Proof Lightweight is good stuff.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:07 PM
Maniac modifier

get a new TOB. try this, make sure it is for your trans. There shouldn't be any play like you describing. it should just rotate and that it.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:18 PM

alright then a new TOB is what i will get then b/c this one moves and wiggles all over the place, and yes this is all while it is attached the pressure plate.From where it is held in place on the inside of the pressure plate it has play like i described earlier, all while being held in place by the snap ring. Thanks for the replies and help this far and i will definitely look into it over there on nasioc about the oil....Thanks again and ill let you know how it works out for me...

Last edited by want-a-fast-svx; 10-13-2004 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:39 AM

Alright...Well i got a new $150 TOB and when it is in the pressure plate it has just the same amount of play in it as the other one.. When im saying play i mean that the metal ring that holds the snap ring in place, moves in and out about 1/2-3/4 in. and once the bearing is on it, its able to wobble once you pull out on the bearing. Im going to try and install it with the new bearing anyways and if it doesn't work im gonna be at a loss.. I guess ill try the install without TOB or clutch fork if this doesn't work....

Last edited by want-a-fast-svx; 10-15-2004 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:47 AM

Also the only place that had any type of wear marks was the the flywheel where the clutch was spinning on it. (im assuming this is whats supposed to happen correct) OTher than that, there are no scratches or abnormal wear patterns anywhere...
Old 10-15-2004, 11:35 AM
maroon menace

have you checked for the correct insatallation of the pilot bearing. The Pilot bearing centers the input shaft in relation to the crankshaft/flywheel. If the bearing is defective or missing it could cause the input shaft to wobble or be off center. When the cluthch pedal is depressed it frees the driven plate from the pressure plate and might allow it to rattle around. When the pedal is released the plate is clamped down.
Just a thought.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:28 PM

The pilot bearing is new and came with the flywheel...I just got done isntalling and starting the engine with the new TOB and the sound is still there only when the clutch is released...I guess ill pull all the #($**# back off and install it with the TOB out and no clutch fork...This still doesn't make sense, its like something is wrong inside the tranny or something...Its a high pitch whine/werr noise...any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated..Im beyond pissed at this point....
Old 10-15-2004, 11:21 PM
Maniac modifier

that still doesn't sound right. Are you positive that the tob is for that trans? Are all the parts right like the fork? The tob should only spin around and not move move front to back or up and down. Just when you pull it down, check to make sure that the fork is not bent or broken and allowing the bearing to move. you should not have to do this, but is your clutch cable operated? if so, try tightening the cable to keep the tob pressed against the pressure plate. Not too much that it will engage the clutch, but just enough to keep pressure on it. This will also allow for a more responsive clutch pedal.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:42 AM

i guess its not the actual TOB that is moving but the metal slide that it rest in and has the snap ring on that is moving in and out...As far as the parts being correct, as far as i know everything is for an 02 wrx tranny straight from the subaru dealer...Everything looks like it should go where it does, however when its there the sound it makes is rediculous to say the least...
Well its almost 5am and im just getting home from work, looks like tomorrow i will get to pull all the stuff and install without the TOB and clutch fork and see if the noise still persist..