SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-14-2004, 10:18 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
P.S. Plus 0-60 in 4.7s ain't bad at all for a 35K car.
$35,000?!

You would seriously pay that for a Mitsubishi Lancer? $35k puts it damn near Firehawk and 2005 GTO territory. At that price there are better choices. Geez I wouldn't even pay $30k for that thing. Maybe $25k. Now I would pay $30k for an STI but that's TOPS. Regardless of how fast the thing is or how it handles, it's still a little ricemobile. I couldn't live with myself after paying that much for a silly little car like that.

Better yet, put the 35k towards a 1 year old vette. Now your cruisin in style. Actually, there's a 2002 ZO6 for sale at a local lot for $38k. No comparison there.

I can see why Mitsubishi is in so much financial trouble. They should be pushing the $15k lancer, not building super limited edition 200 a year cars.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
Now I would pay $30k for an STI but that's TOPS. Regardless of how fast the thing is or how it handles, it's still a little ricemobile. I couldn't live with myself after paying that much for a silly little car like that.
How nice for you. I couldn't live with myself after spending that much on your Firehawk or GTO.

The 'vette's another story...always had a soft spot for 'vette's...

Two of my coworkers have Evos and one has an STI. They're hardly 'silly,' in my opinion.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Hater

Quote:
$35,000?!

You would seriously pay that for a Mitsubishi Lancer? $35k puts it damn near Firehawk and 2005 GTO territory. At that price there are better choices. Geez I wouldn't even pay $30k for that thing. Maybe $25k. Now I would pay $30k for an STI but that's TOPS. Regardless of how fast the thing is or how it handles, it's still a little ricemobile. I couldn't live with myself after paying that much for a silly little car like that.

Better yet, put the 35k towards a 1 year old vette. Now your cruisin in style. Actually, there's a 2002 ZO6 for sale at a local lot for $38k. No comparison there.

I can see why Mitsubishi is in so much financial trouble. They should be pushing the $15k lancer, not building super limited edition 200 a year cars.
i wouldn't buy an EVO, but i'd pay $30k or so for the ricemobile STi.

you could buy a Firehawk/GTO/Vette, but then you'd need another car for winter time, or for hauling more than two grown adults..........but you'd be cruising with your mullet in style! crank that Def Leppard!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-14-2004, 10:41 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
crank that Def Leppard!
Skynyrd.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-14-2004, 10:48 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Skynyrd.
Krokus.

Old 09-15-2004, 06:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
LOL too funny

GTO another screwed up pontiac.
i think any one for the same price would pick a sti, there is nothing special abought a GTO bland styling and bland performance, and handling IMHO

u cant compare a z06 to a evo or sti. z06 are bad to the bone

Last edited by solarsvx; 09-15-2004 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by people who talk about cars like they've actually driven them
How nice for you. I couldn't live with myself after spending that much on your Firehawk or GTO

GTO another screwed up pontiac.
i think any one for the same price would pick a sti, there is nothing special abought a GTO bland styling and bland performance, and handling IMHO
All I have to say is this...drive it...you'll eat your words so fast you'll think you just had a steak dinner.

I just laugh everytime I hear comments like that, because I agree the GTO lacks alot in styling and concept. It's not bad, but not inspiring in anyway. The driving experience, however is a whole different story. I've heard several people speak words just as you did about the car right before they drive it. When they return from their first drive, the only thing they have to say is "WHOA".

Quote:
i wouldn't buy an EVO, but i'd pay $30k or so for the ricemobile STi.
I was referring to the EVO when i said "ricemobile". Like i've said before, I have no problem with the STI...it's just not real high on my list of cars that I would by if....etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by solarsvx
u cant compare a z06 to a evo or sti. z06 are bad to the bone
Yeah that's pretty much what I said. My point was why pay $35k for an EVO of any kind when that puts you into a 1 or 2 year old vette and in some cases will even get you damn near a Z06?

Quote:
Originally posted by Landsharkp
you could buy a Firehawk/GTO/Vette, but then you'd need another car for winter time, or for hauling more than two grown adults..........but you'd be cruising with your mullet in style! crank that Def Leppard!
At my age, if I were to pay $35k for a CAR, i'd never drive it in the winter anyway. Doesn't matter if it's front-wheel, rear-wheel, all-wheel or 10-wheel drive.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:47 AM
Hater

Quote:
At my age, if I were to pay $35k for a CAR, i'd never drive it in the winter anyway. Doesn't matter if it's front-wheel, rear-wheel, all-wheel or 10-wheel drive.
so you'd spend $35k for a car to spend half its life in a garage? if you want a museum-piece GTO, that's great, but don't dog people that want a car that can be driven all year 'round and not take up space. i felt stupid leaving a car less than half that price in the garage all the time. if i lived in a warm weather state, i'd get one of those domestic cookie-cutter straight line rockets, grow me a mullet, and go all out Joe Dirt. unfortunately, i have to deal with snow and hills, so i like cars that can handle that crap as well as dry flat asphalt. if i was rich, i'd have a car for each month of the year, but that's just not the case.

Old 09-15-2004, 12:20 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Some stuff
Hey, the GTO is fine. It's a little uninspired styling-wise, but it's better than if Pontiac had done it themselves.

It's actually a pretty cool car. I don't want one, but I can understand why others might.

You take it too personally and state your opinions like they're fact. Different people like different things, man. There's no accounting for taste, so give it a rest.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-15-2004, 01:02 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Honestly...

...after owning a high powered RWD '00 SVT Lightning, I seriously doubt I'll ever own another rwd car in the near future. Year round driveability is important to me, and VA gets at least 3-4 heavy snow falls each year.

35K for an EVO isn't bad with all things considered. The braking and handling performance are on par with a Z06 and the straight line performance is only a tick behind. And since the car is turbo'd, mods are inexpensive.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 09-15-2004, 01:03 PM
Certified Porschephile

The next GTO is going to have the 6.0 LS2 400hp Vette motor. I'd take a STi over a GTO because of the AWD and 4 doors. I hope the next GTO looks better then this one. The HATED rustang is coming out all-new and will trash pontiacs sales numbers. Of course most of them will be V-6's for under $22k.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:31 PM

Quote:
so you'd spend $35k for a car to spend half its life in a garage? if you want a museum-piece GTO, that's great, but don't dog people that want a car that can be driven all year 'round and not take up space. i felt stupid leaving a car less than half that price in the garage all the time. if i lived in a warm weather state, i'd get one of those domestic cookie-cutter straight line rockets, grow me a mullet, and go all out Joe Dirt. unfortunately, i have to deal with snow and hills, so i like cars that can handle that crap as well as dry flat asphalt. if i was rich, i'd have a car for each month of the year, but that's just not the case.
Emily (my WS6) spends five days a week in the garage. Putting it into perspective, I agree it's weird to buy something that's meant to be driven and not drive it. I don't know why I do it, but I do.

About the weather thing...I'm moving this coming spring. I love skiing, but other than that, you can have your snow. No thanks. Looks like i'll be setting up shop in SC.

By the way, Emily doesn't just handle dry asphalt, she flat out destroys it.

Quote:
You take it too personally and state your opinions like they're fact.
How? The GTO handles well - that's a fact. I said that my opinion of it's styling is much like yours. It looks good, but not like what a GTO should look like. I don't see where I presented any opinion as fact.

Quote:
Different people like different things, man. There's no accounting for taste, so give it a rest.
We've been over this before. As long as you people are here to talk smack on GTO's and Camaro's, I'll be here to do the same to the ricemobiles. Because I feel the same way about the EVO and STI that you do about the Camaros and GTOs.

Quote:
35K for an EVO isn't bad with all things considered. The braking and handling performance are on par with a Z06 and the straight line performance is only a tick behind. And since the car is turbo'd, mods are inexpensive.
A ZO6 would kill an EVO in every aspect. It's almost an entire second faster to 60 than even the EVO MR. Even if the EVO is close to the ZO6 in handling, it would get killed because the vette would annihilate it out of the turns. This is just not a fair comparison.

Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
The next GTO is going to have the 6.0 LS2 400hp Vette motor. I'd take a STi over a GTO because of the AWD and 4 doors. I hope the next GTO looks better then this one. The HATED rustang is coming out all-new and will trash pontiacs sales numbers. Of course most of them will be V-6's for under $22k.
I don't think GM really cares all that much about having the best seller. Otherwise there would be a V6 GTO planned. But there isn't. At this point I think they are more concerned with having the fastest car. There is an even more powerful factory GTO planned with the new generation IV 24V motor coming in 2006.

Last edited by Shadow248; 09-15-2004 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
A ZO6 would kill an EVO in every aspect. It's almost an entire second faster to 60 than even the EVO MR. Even if the EVO is close to the ZO6 in handling, it would get killed because the vette would annihilate it out of the turns. This is just not a fair comparison.
Dude, Z06's are cool and I've lusted after owning one for years, but the down-market interior and 2 seats just don't fit into my family's needs at this time.

In regards to the Evo's handling vs the Z06's, may I direct your attention to the June '03 'Speeding' article in Motortrend magazine where 10 supercars were pitted against each other including the '03 Evo VIII and Z06:

Evo: 0-60 4.59, 1/4 mile 13.08 @105, 60-0 braking 106ft, 100-0 braking 292ft, 600ft slalom 71.4 mph

Z06: 0-60 4.29, 1/4 mile 12.44 @116, 60-0 braking 105ft, 100-0 braking 292ft, 600ft slalom 70.4mph

(These are the best side-by-side comparisons available for these two cars as they were tested on the same track, by the same driver within minutes of each other)

To quote the test editor: "The 'put-up-or-shut-up' award winner was everyone's favorite giant slayer, Mitsubishi's astonishing Evolution...just look at the Evil-ution's slalom times if you don't think an all-wheel drive compact sedan can't compete with pure exotics and domestic muscle macines. Factor in its cost/value/performance ratio, and it becomes even more of a winner..."

'Nuff said.

-Chike

P.S. BTW, looking over my SVX today after the ride home from work, I don't think I could part with this car in the next year. There are just so many things I'd like to accomplish with this car that I haven't been able to do already. Might put off buying my next car until '06. My SVX is starting to speak a language to my soul that no car has ever spoken before...

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 09-15-2004, 11:25 PM
Hater

Quote:

Dude, Z06's are cool and I've lusted after owning one for years, but the down-market interior and 2 seats just don't fit into my family's needs at this time.

In regards to the Evo's handling vs the Z06's, may I direct your attention to the June '03 'Speeding' article in Motortrend magazine where 10 supercars were pitted against each other including the '03 Evo VIII and Z06:

Evo: 0-60 4.59, 1/4 mile 13.08 @105, 60-0 braking 106ft, 100-0 braking 292ft, 600ft slalom 71.4 mph

Z06: 0-60 4.29, 1/4 mile 12.44 @116, 60-0 braking 105ft, 100-0 braking 292ft, 600ft slalom 70.4mph

(These are the best side-by-side comparisons available for these two cars as they were tested on the same track, by the same driver within minutes of each other)

To quote the test editor: "The 'put-up-or-shut-up' award winner was everyone's favorite giant slayer, Mitsubishi's astonishing Evolution...just look at the Evil-ution's slalom times if you don't think an all-wheel drive compact sedan can't compete with pure exotics and domestic muscle macines. Factor in its cost/value/performance ratio, and it becomes even more of a winner..."

'Nuff said.

-Chike
Shadow really doesn't know what the EVO or STi specs are - he is just the "GM Defender." he hijacks car discussions on here to blather on about GM V8's. his girlfriend doesn't even own an SVX anymore, so i don't even understand his need to ram GM muscle down our throats on a Subaru SVX forum. he's established the fact that he likes GM V8's. great. some people .... DON'T! whether its the tupperware interior, RWD, squashed or lack of rear seating, etc, people actually have different ideas and expectations about what they want in an automobile.

i think the Z06, besides being ugly IMHO, is not a good buy for the money. why? here are specs comparing the Z06 and STi, courtesy of Car & Driver:

Z06: $51,435
405@6000 RPM * 0-60 mph 4.0s * 1/4 Mile 12.5 s@120 mph

STi: $28,695
300@6000 RPM * 0-60 mph 4.6 s * 1/4 Mile 13.2 @ 103 mph

not a huge difference, considering the Z06 has 105hp advantage and costs almost $23,000 more. a Cobb Stage2 package for the STi ($1645, exhaust and reflash) will put it right up there with the Z06. you then have over $20,000 left to spend.

BTW, Shadow, might i suggest:
www.fbody.com

or if you really have big enough plums, stir the pot here:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/foru...?s=&forumid=24

Old 09-16-2004, 06:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
Z06: $51,435
405@6000 RPM * 0-60 mph 4.0s * 1/4 Mile 12.5 s@120 mph

STi: $28,695
300@6000 RPM * 0-60 mph 4.6 s * 1/4 Mile 13.2 @ 103 mph

james wrx $ 27,000
450@6,000 rpm *0-60 mph fast * 1/4 11.60s @ 121 mph

i like option 3 LOL

as for the GTO looks are all a matter of opinion that i respect

as far as handling u said drive one i will change my mind .I did almost a hour, there nothing impressive,, bland steering response and mushy ride in general, and i even tested at a track "disney gm test track event"

the new 400hp gto is coming out soon, maybe it will do better then the prevous

but for the money 25-33 price range evo and sti out preforms them . now if u want a GTO for its heritage and to stay american bye all means thats the choice

also the fastest gto i saw at the track was 13.8 on slicks
i ran 13.2 @ 101 on street tires and the a/c on with stock turbo

also might want to factor in gas milage also, and resale value,

ohh FYI the GTO isnt even american its australian built,, with american engine,

Last edited by solarsvx; 09-16-2004 at 08:27 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: