Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Question Help still needed on CE Light...

Okay, anyone else any ideas? I think I've got a problem with my car that's driving me crazy.

First, as I posted before, I started getting a Check Engine light that was from a "Crank Position Sensor A Circuit Low Input"... well I replaced both CPS's... the problem's still there.

Then I get a failed O2 sensor... "O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity (Bank 2, Sensor 1)"... firstly... which O2 Sensor is this? The third one?

Now, I'm getting an event every couple of days where my car won't start. Let me describe;

First of all, I get in and turn the key to the run position. I check all the lights and wait for the fuel system to pressurize properly. Probably unnecessary, but old habits die hard. Anyway, then I turn to start it and I get ALMOST a cough out of the car and the dash goes completely black. As I release the key the lights on the dash come back on VEEEEEEERRRRYYYYY SLOOOOOOWWWWWLLLYYYY. Like they're on a fader circuit or something.

After this I can't do a thing until I get under the hood, disconnect the battery and reconnect it again. After this, more often than not I can start my car again and all is good with the world.

I'm at a bit of a loss... this progressive failure of the electrical system in my car has me worried. I am wondering though if these kind of symptoms could be caused by a dead cell in the battery that's on the edge of dying completely but hasn't yet... could that be scrambling the OBDII computer a little into thinking I have failures that I don't? Note that all of these failures have occurred in the last two months! This is a little strange to be coincidence and I'm loathe to replace the O2 sensor when I've been misled already by the OBDII computer to spend over $300 on sensors that don't appear to be bad!

On a side note, the sensors I took off I bench tested when it didn't clear up the problem... they seem to be operating within normal limits.

Anyone any guidance here?????
Old 09-09-2004, 07:05 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

Get your battery and alternator tested. A bad battery will draw too much current from the alt. and cause it to overheat. Another expensive repair. Also, a bad alt. won't supply enough juice to keep your battery alive.

Either a bad alt. or bat. will cause the rest of the system to run low on juice. Best to eliminate these two before moving on to more expensive items.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:12 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Yeah i was about to say the same thing.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 09-10-2004, 08:03 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Not on my SVX but on my Justy I had a dying battery cause about 5 different error codes. Replaced the battery and the codes went away.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:25 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumper

I think you are correct to see if it's the battery or alternator before you replace any more sensors.

I would add one thing though. Don't make the same mistake and replace the battery, then find the alternator isn't outputting enough [or too much!] juice.

Two ways you can go about this. The better way, take the car to an auto electrical shop, get them check the alternator. If it reads OK, then check the battery, replace if necessary.

The other way, use a voltmeter in the car, see if your voltage is running low, which it probably is. If you find it is, you'll still have to get the alt checked.

Very, very likely your battery is no good.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-12-2004, 04:55 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Help still needed on CE Light...

Quote:
Originally posted by thumper_svx
Okay, anyone else any ideas? I think I've got a problem with my car that's driving me crazy.

Now, I'm getting an event every couple of days where my car won't start. Let me describe;

. Anyway, then I turn to start it and I get ALMOST a cough out of the car and the dash goes completely black. As I release the key the lights on the dash come back on VEEEEEEERRRRYYYYY SLOOOOOOWWWWWLLLYYYY. Like they're on a fader circuit or something.

After this I can't do a thing until I get under the hood, disconnect the battery and reconnect it again. After this, more often than not I can start my car again and all is good with the world.

Anyone any guidance here?????
Could be a bad cell in the battery. But have you cleaned the battery terminals? A high resistance at the terminals will act just like this.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.