Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2004, 06:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to wynndi Send a message via Yahoo to wynndi
SVX Drip!

Since switching to Synthetic (then switching back), my '96 with 133K has the SVX drip ~ front bearing drip, that is!

I'm changing the oil this weekend and wonder:

Has anyone found an additive that actually slows/fixes the leak?

I'm probably delaying the obvious fix (bearing replacement), but I'm willing to give Pep Boys $10 for an additive that helps!

Old 05-07-2004, 08:01 AM
alacrity024

i think your problem might have to do with switching to synthetic and then back... i'm pretty sure it's taboo to go back to regular oil after synthetic.. something about conditioning the seals or something..
Old 05-07-2004, 08:13 AM

She didn't start drooling until I went to synth. Then I went to a high milage "blend" the drip isn't too bad, but I hate the smell and the 5~6 drips a day on my brick driveway!

Old 05-07-2004, 01:53 PM
deruvian

I've always heard that once you go full synthetic, you can never go back.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:52 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by deruvian
I've always heard that once you go full synthetic, you can never go back.

That's a myth. How can regular oil suddenly become "bad" for your engine? Check out Mobil 1's website for info.

The problem with going back to regular oil is that you lose the protection that synthetic oil gives you, such as higher tolerance to heat, the ability to flow easier at very cold temperatures, and the higher resistance to chemical breakdown.

But oil is oil folks. As long as it's clean and relatively fresh, it can never be bad for your car.

Dave ( I heard if you drink spring water you can't go back to tap!)
Old 05-07-2004, 04:56 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

I use Royal Purple for EVERYTHING in my car and have never had an issue what so ever... Give it a try for oil... I swear if ya can foot the $5.00 per quart then you'll never go back... It's great!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 05-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
My svx dripped with mobil 1 and castrol synthetic but does not drip with havoline synthetic. Same goes for the wifes svx.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:50 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I think it was time for the seal to go. Nothing to do with the oil type.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:00 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
My svx dripped with mobil 1 and castrol synthetic but does not drip with havoline synthetic. Same goes for the wifes svx.
I prefer Valvoline. Same type of situation.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:57 PM
Crash

I have been told on several occassions by mechs and people at intant oil changes (I get lazy sometimes) that you should NEVER put synthetic in a boxer motor. I have also heard that the syns will cause damage to the seals in the motor. Haven't found out first hand so I don't know for sure. But it is my $.02
Old 05-07-2004, 11:29 PM

<<Since switching to Synthetic (then switching back), my '96 with 133K has the SVX drip ~ front bearing drip, that is!>>

what bearing are you talking about? i don't know of any bearing that "leaks" oil.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:33 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by svxpert
<<Since switching to Synthetic (then switching back), my '96 with 133K has the SVX drip ~ front bearing drip, that is!>>

what bearing are you talking about? i don't know of any bearing that "leaks" oil.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:27 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by Crash
I have been told on several occassions by mechs and people at intant oil changes (I get lazy sometimes) that you should NEVER put synthetic in a boxer motor. I have also heard that the syns will cause damage to the seals in the motor. Haven't found out first hand so I don't know for sure. But it is my $.02

The engineers at Porsche seem to disagree with you:

"Every car produced in the factory in Stuttgart gets its first oil from Mobil 1. And that means that all our cars and engines are developed with that product."
– Herbert Ampferer, Director,
Porsche Motorsports

This is quoted from Mobil1.com. Last time I checked Porsche was still making Boxer engines.....

Dave
Old 05-08-2004, 07:56 AM

"what bearing are you talking about? i don't know of any bearing that "leaks" oil. "

My *Front Seal* Leaks, cam seals do not. The bearing comment was a brain fart.

I have heard all of the myths and think I'll check out Royal Purple if I can find it here in the Philly area. Thanks for the info and intelligent discussion!!!

Last edited by wynndi; 05-08-2004 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:18 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I had my front main seal changed at 100k when I bought the car. Ran with synthetic since then. It would only leak if I used mobil 1 or castrol synthetic - no leak with havoline synthetic so I used that for pretty much teh entire time. I just had to replace the front main seal again at 208k. I would say over 100k on that seal is pretty damn good.

I have replaced the valve cover gaskets once in that same time frame. I checked the cam seals when I did the front main and they were dry so I left them in.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.