Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-21-2003, 12:30 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Unhappy Assistance needed! Putting out the call.

Well I finally got the car to the shop for inspection. Not as bad as I thought but worse at the same time. I expected both rear wheel bearings to be bad and the cat bad as well.

I took it to my local Meineke shop where they always treat me right and are insanely honest. Turns out I only need a right/rear wheel bearing and the cat was not bad. It had a crack in front of it that needed to be repaired. I had them repair the exaust leak by cutting the cat flange off where it meets the pipe heading back and welded it together bypassing the knuckle at the end of the cat. This avoided future problems as it was going to fail eventually. They then cut the sections between the pre-cats and the cat and bent and welded new pipes between them. I now have a one piece welded unit going from the headers to the muffler. Exaust taken care of. I will admit I was hoping to find that I needed it all replaced as it would have been a great excuse to go with a Flowmaster muffler.

The surprise came when I checked things out form under the lift. My left front half-shaft needs to be replaced. The outer CV boot is ripped completely and has thrown grease all over the suspension there. I need to replace the half-shaft with a reman unit. If I get the new shaft they will slap it in for $50. Sounds like a fair deal to me. I found that I can get a reman half-shaft for $69.99 locally from Advanced Auto with only a $40 core charge. Way less than I expected and I do not have to pay any shipping. Woohoo!

As for wheel bearings, I only need the one side replaced and found BCA bearings for 64.28 at Advanced auto (again no shipping fees) and seals for only $5.39 & $6.49. Not a bad deal for a good bearing.

Here is where the call for assistance comes in. Money is super tight right now with me being out of work for the past 2 weeks due to a back injury (as some of you may recall). The wife's Taurus is in need of a new tranny to make things worse for me. I am hoping that one or more of the local members would feel generous enough to help me with the strenuous parts of the wheel bearing replacement so I can save some money on the repair. You can come to me or I will drive to you (your call) and I will do all I can like cleaning and repacking the bearing, etc. I need someone to help with the lug nuts, lifting and tough wrenching in hunched over positions. I will supply the pizza and beer. If any other locals would care to join for a little mini meet as well, the more the merrier.

I have John (svx_commuter) in mind for this since he has expressed willingness to assist me with this in the past but hesitate to ask directly since it now involves a majority of the grunt work as well (before I only wanted advice, moral support and use of bearing puller). Let me know if you can, John, and I will gladly drive to your place if you want. Maybe Matt & Kelli (along with others of the Warren group) could join us for the festivities. If anyone else in the eastern PA/Western NJ area is interested please let me know. Feel free to PM me or respond here and we can arrange a time for it all.

Take care!

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:47 PM
Network Design Administrator

Depending on the dates. I would be willing to attend, learn and exert manual labor when needed.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:12 PM

Well I'm willing to show you how to do the bearings, but FLA is probably farther than you expected to drive

As to the seals, check the numbers. If they use the BCA/National bearing catalog then there's a good chance you don't have the right seals. This happened to me and it was a real pain to try & track down seals after the car was apart. Found them at NAPA (in stock too) - if there's a NAPA store nearby you may wish to compare - BTW, NAPA used the Chicago Rawhide catalog number.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:46 PM
Porter

There is actually a new, easier on-car procedure for the wheel bearing. You should be able to borrow/rent the tool to perform the procedure from your local Subaru dealer, but be aware the tool is set up for 5x100. There is also a 5x114.3 plate for it but most dealers don't have the second plate. No more press, no more mess.

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2003, 01:47 PM

Thanks, Chris, I'll let you know! Lee, I appreciate the advice. I read about that issue while searching the database. I have a local NAPA and will check prices with them and go that route possibly.

Old 11-21-2003, 01:57 PM

Doing some further research on front axle replacement I find that it is not really difficult to do. I would also like to do that the same time I do the bearings. Every little bit of money I save keeps the financial hole I am in from deepening less than it will.

Luckily I pretty much have all the tools necessary for the jobs.

Thanks again!

Old 11-21-2003, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Porter
There is actually a new, easier on-car procedure for the wheel bearing. You should be able to borrow/rent the tool to perform the procedure from your local Subaru dealer, but be aware the tool is set up for 5x100. There is also a 5x114.3 plate for it but most dealers don't have the second plate. No more press, no more mess.

Good luck!
Porter,

Is this like the Hub Tamer?
Old 11-21-2003, 03:53 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally posted by RSVX
Depending on the dates. I would be willing to attend, learn and exert manual labor when needed.
Same goes for me, I am only about an hour away, I'll gladly come down to help and learn.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hocrest

Same goes for me, I am only about an hour away, I'll gladly come down to help and learn.
Any chance that you are free tomorrow??

Old 11-24-2003, 08:42 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Johnny,

I'm really sorry I can't help out. I can warn you, though, that removing your old axle is going to be a pain in the ass for only one reason: the axle nut. If you don't have air tools, you may be SOL. I was unable to budge mine with any amount of force. I even slid a pipe over my long breaker bar and jumped on it.

I hope you can get the problems solved within your budget. I know how that goes. Good luck, man.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-24-2003, 10:07 AM
Network Design Administrator

Im not good for anything this week, sorry Im heading the NC, and wont be back untill late sunday.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:44 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Axle Nuts

I was able to remove the rear axle nut by using a 1/2" breaker bar and a 8' yes eight FOOT extension. Kinda fun...

Bad part was that I ended up breaking the socket. Hooray for Crapsman!

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 11-24-2003, 01:08 PM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by lee

Porter,

Is this like the Hub Tamer?
If it's a big slide hammer, then possibly.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:16 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Any chance that you are free tomorrow??

Sorry, Maybe this weekend??
Old 11-25-2003, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hocrest

Sorry, Maybe this weekend??
I would love to if I didn't have to work both days. I am working the following weekend as well. When I have weekends to work I usually have Thu & Fri off. If worse comes to worse I can see if one of the guys might want to switch with me but I really need to do the job ASAP as the tranny in my wife's car is just getting scarier and I need a legal car now. I am probably going to have Meineke do the axle for me for the $50 just for convenience but I still really need to save some dough on the wheel bearing and plan to do it myself if at all possible. I will let you know.

Thanks again for the offer though. It really means a lot to me that you and others are offering to assist.