Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2003, 12:36 PM
Network Design Administrator

OT: Getting a Dog

Well, Becca and I are adopting this beautiful dog this afternoon. We picked her out Saturday and they had to send her through a temperment test to see how she would react and look for anything to be "concerned" about. Anyways all went well and we get her tonight.

In the 90 minutes we spent with her on Sat. I noticed these thing a few things... One, shes very calm and very open to other dogs. Two, shes VERY attentive, but that is expected. And three, I believe her to be ahead of her class in the smarts area... from playing with her and her trying to not let us leave, and of course the escape artist in her showed up as we tried to leave and she tried to grab and forcibly open the gate(she almost did it too) with her paws. She is also an Alpha Female, as she keeps her tail hung high.

http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?act...preview=&row=0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lady.jpg (6.3 KB, 216 views)
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:02 PM

Registered SVX
Unfortunately recently a child was badly mauled by a dog here in Auckland and the media has set off a frenzy of anti dog issues which is most unfortunate for dog owners. Your initiative to send her for a temperament test may indicate similar problems. If you are in an anti dog environment be careful as you can be in a situation of having to prove innocence in the event of some silly anti dog person being frightened by your pet . I have been in this situation and it is very distressing and what is more can be fatal for your pet.

All that said, you will surely have great joy as a result of taking on a new friend. You have yet to learn what love and loyalty is in the true sense, unless of course you have previously owned a dog. Have you a name for her ? My last one, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, was Luke given by my children due to interest in Star Wars and Luke Sky Walker !

Keep her safe and she will look after you in time of troublel. Give her a pat from down under.

P.S. Sorry having only just checked I see that she comes with " Lady " nice and simple. I am sure in respect of her past and for practical reasons you will not wish to change it.
Just a thought. If I was the previous owner I know would realy appreciate knowing that she has gone to the good home she now has.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 03-03-2003 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Congratulations Chris!

My wife and I have a heard of household pets; 4 cats, three dogs, and a bird. All but the bird were rescue animals.

I agree with Trevor on a couple of accounts. Be careful with her temperament and be wary of her around others (people and dogs). Today, individuals feel the right to sue for anything. I am particularly wary, as I have "undesirable" breed dogs (all three have at least some amount of pitbull terrier in their make-up). Neighbors, due to their ignorance and media-hype, have commented to me that I should put them down before they cause a problem. I've been tempted to ask if I should jail their child now, as I believe them to be pre-felons and why put society at risk?

On the positive side, I cannot imagine a day without my "herd". They are well-trained, and all walk with me off-leash in formation. They are an exuberant bunch and love to run and play. I only wish I had more time to spend with them.

Finally, thanks for choosing a rescue animal over a breeders dog. Millions of animals are needlessly killed annually as many people mistakenly believe them to be disposable. Pets are an expensive, life-long committment and their ownership should be considered thoroughly and completely before-hand.

Todd
Old 03-03-2003, 08:31 PM
SVXdriver_007

Ahh the poor big dog with the automatic bad rap.

I have 130lbs of fine german engineering in the form of a rottie. The dog is hands down the frendliest dog I've ever owned. I can take a steak bone right out of his mouth and all he'll do is whine.
I have two children and I trust him to no ends. I try to socialize him everychance i get. hes great at the sledding hill because he'll pull my 4 yrold up the hill damn near as fast as she goes down, she loves it and it saves me any effort. Of cousre any time I take him somewhere, someone has to say something abou thow he's dangerous and I shouldn't bring a dog like him out. Meanwhile he sits there minds his own buis and wags his tail (unchopped). last time I was at the local petco two minny lassie looking things attacked my poor boy and all he did was look to me for support. The owner a "kindly" lady informed me its because they "know he's a dangerous dog" So dangerous that instead of snapping your dogs neck with his 1400lbs psi jaws he sat there and looked at me. Luckily the manager saw the whole thing and asked the lady to leave...Oscar got a free grooming.

I also applaud you for rescuing the dog Oscars mother was found abandoned along the road, two weaks later she had her litter 4 dogs two didn't make it Oscar came with a tail eddie with-out. I'm trying to get eddie from his current owners since they "don't think its working out" at least they tried and as of yet haven't tied him up in the backyard to be ignored.

Good luck with lady she's a beauty.

Oscar wants to know how she feels about Big headed dogs black over brown?
Old 03-04-2003, 04:42 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Chris,

Congratulations to you and Becca. I'f she is as smart as you say, be careful where you leave your car keys. Lady may just pick them up and take the SVX out cruisin' on Admiral Wilson Blv'd.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!