Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2010, 03:27 PM

4.44 tranny to European SVX

Hello!
I'm halfway through with my tranny swap.. meaning that I've gotten the old one out .. Anyway I found a 4.44 ratio 4EAT tranny from a -94 2.0T Legacy and hope to get it working in my SVX. That's why I thought it would be a good idea to ask if there's anyone here who has done this. The code for my "new tranny" would be TZ102ZB1AA-JR.. Not 100% sure it was that but close. So is there someone who could tell me now if it's going to work or not? Of course I will also change the rear diff's ratio and get the Quick Change Shift Kit - Thanks in advance!!
Old 02-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: 4.44 tranny to European SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JreM View Post
Hello!
I'm halfway through with my tranny swap.. meaning that I've gotten the old one out .. Anyway I found a 4.44 ratio 4EAT tranny from a -94 2.0T Legacy and hope to get it working in my SVX. That's why I thought it would be a good idea to ask if there's anyone here who has done this. The code for my "new tranny" would be TZ102ZB1AA-JR.. Not 100% sure it was that but close. So is there someone who could tell me now if it's going to work or not? Of course I will also change the rear diff's ratio and get the Quick Change Shift Kit - Thanks in advance!!
Hi Jere. As I said on the Forums, it depends if the Legacy box is a VTD and has the front speed sensor inside the box, or driven off the front differential, above the right front axle. The TCU in your car will only work with a VTD box with internal speed sensors.
If the box is not a VTD and has the front speed sensor on the front diff,( like the US box) there is a chance that you could use a US TCU, But you would have to change some of the wiring to allow the AWD and speedo to work, but this has not been tried before.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:58 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Hello!
Kia ora,

Assuming that as one would expect, your European SVX has VTD with centre differential and the Legacy a centre clutch, the change over would be very complicated. In any event, you would wind up with an inferior car.

If you insist on changing to a clutch type transmission, I can assist you further with information regarding the pitfalls and remedies involved, but I would not advise you to proceed.

Beware. Alex-SVX from Norway was mislead in this regard and has been caused a great deal of strife.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 02-09-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:28 PM

oh.. yeah. Forgot to mention that it is the VTD type.. No external speed sensor.. And thanks Harvey, I wouldn't have found this one with out your advice in the Forums The tranny that I'm planing to put in is from Japan. It's from a -94 2.0 turbo legacy with under 60000 miles on it... And I was actually only interested to see if anyone else here had done this to the VTD tranny car.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
oh.. yeah. Forgot to mention that it is the VTD type.. No external speed sensor.. And thanks Harvey, I wouldn't have found this one with out your advice in the Forums The tranny that I'm planing to put in is from Japan. It's from a -94 2.0 turbo legacy with under 60000 miles on it... And I was actually only interested to see if anyone else here had done this to the VTD tranny car.
That sounds like you have found the right one. That should be a straight swap.
No I think you are the first to do it.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:38 AM
Phil & Belha

Please double check that BOTH legacy and SVX boxes are VTD and have internal speed sensor #2 (not in the front diff).
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II