How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 07-13-2009, 06:18 PM

Registered SVX
Question thinking about a forester

thinking about a 98 forester with 53000 on it. i don't know much about these,at least not as much as my svx.maybe someone can give me the good/bad on these models? don't know much about the history of it other than this is the second owner(friend) so i trust them.haven't driven it either but if they are to much trouble i won't bother test driving. any tips anyone?
Old 07-13-2009, 07:19 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Re: thinking about a forester

If I recall, that MY has the Phase I EJ25 with DOHC. These are known to blow headgaskets due to poor design at the factory level. Other than that, they're just an Impreza that sits taller.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 07-13-2009, 09:03 PM
building more AK47's

Get a 2002 or newer Forester XT and you'll be much happier due to design upgrade and if you can find one with under 100k miles Subaru has to fix all the 2.5 headgasket issues as part of a recall for free.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:51 PM

I hate to even whisper this....

But if my Legacy were to meet an untimely end, and I DON'T want that...

I would be sorely tempted to take the insurance money, and buy a full-option 2003-2005 Forester non-turbo with a 5-speed manual, and 50/50 AWD, and kit it for winter and work. maybe even brush bars and fender flares, and such... (maybe an H6 engine and driveline conversion, if money were available for it. Good torque, less peaky, and cheaper to maintain than an EJ25 turbo, like my Legacy GT...)

And take the rest, and either fully restore and make my SVX fantastic... or just flip it (good leather driver's seat, and a new clear-coat job, and a main catalyzer, and a detail job... to get the car back into truly solid shape), sell that one to someone who needs a good, cool daily driver...

and then buy a VERY nice SVX that needs a little less work to be truly fantastic, or is already at that point. Maybe one that already has a 6MT/Torsen rear diff transplant done.

Every time I think that, I look at my Legacy, and I do still love that car, too. If only I had the money to REALLY treat her right, with an AVO turbo, Bilstein struts, Red Spec B Leather seats... and some other nice touches...

It always comes down to the $$$$$$.... :sigh:

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Hater

i've been looking at 928's on Autotrader, and considering a beater Impreza or Legacy as a winter ride.

i could come away with those two cheaper than an EVO X MR, which i was considering as my next car.

oh yeah, don't know much about the earlier Foresters other than a guy at work put 299K miles on his before he hit a deer and destroyed it. he bought a new Forester the next day.

i'm rambling, aren't i?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-14-2009, 04:07 AM
Certified Porschephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
i've been looking at 928's on Autotrader, and considering a beater Impreza or Legacy as a winter ride.

i could come away with those two cheaper than an EVO X MR, which i was considering as my next car.

oh yeah, don't know much about the earlier Foresters other than a guy at work put 299K miles on his before he hit a deer and destroyed it. he bought a new Forester the next day.

i'm rambling, aren't i?
Another 928? Damn I hate you!

We had 120k+ on our 2000 when a deer killed it and bought a brand new 2007 as soon as the check showed up. Wife LOVES her Foresters. She still misses the 2000 from time to time. Of course she got her hands on a 2009 and now wants the bigger one!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I can't help but recommend a 2004+ XT turbo forester fitted with an STI rear swaybar.

You will smile every time you drive it. Those ugly little boxes move!
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: