Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: has any1 ever locked their keys in their car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
No problem for me. I simply open the door by coding in my pin using the door handle. I have a JDM svx.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorSVXette View Post
Thats cool. Is there any way we (USDM) people can do this to our cars? Change the handle? Change the door????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
--- and one hell of a lot more.
Anything's possible, Paul, but what Trevor is getting at is this mod is not bolt-on easy.

This coded lock system is written into the software of the central locking system at the factory for the JDM cars.

The Japanese cars are not furnished with the alarm system that is standard on the US cars.

The US cars don't get the "keyless door opening" that is popular in Japan. Nor do our European cars get it either.

You would have to put in the JDM security computer to make it work, plus you would need to fit the JDM door handle system so you could input the code for the computer to unlock the doors.

Not an easy thing to retro fit, I imagine.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-21-2008, 12:01 PM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX

Thanks Joe. Sounds like it would be a lot easier to pick up a JDM car
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 06-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

That's about the shape of it Paul.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-21-2008, 10:13 PM

I just unlocked my 92 teal a couple of days ago. It took me less than a minute using a Greenlee steel fish tape. I use it for pulling cable through walls. I did not get a door key from the previous owner. I have a battery drain and came out to work on the car to find it locked.
I never lock it so I assume it locked itself due to the low battery condition. I want to dispel any rumors I have read regarding either door lock having the key code on them. I removed both and they do NOT. I have also gone to the local Subaru dealer with my DL, title and the VIN and was unable to obtain a key number because the originating dealer never entered it. What else can I do?
Old 06-22-2008, 05:40 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxed View Post
I just unlocked my 92 teal a couple of days ago. It took me less than a minute using a Greenlee steel fish tape. I use it for pulling cable through walls. I did not get a door key from the previous owner. I have a battery drain and came out to work on the car to find it locked.
I never lock it so I assume it locked itself due to the low battery condition. I want to dispel any rumors I have read regarding either door lock having the key code on them. I removed both and they do NOT. I have also gone to the local Subaru dealer with my DL, title and the VIN and was unable to obtain a key number because the originating dealer never entered it. What else can I do?
This is baffling. Normally the same key operates the ignition, the two main doors and the bootlid [trunk for you guys ]

What can change this is if the ignition barrel is changed because of theft or other problems, then the ignition key will be different, but the original ignition key will / should still operate the 3 outside locks.

Can you explain what is the problem with your '92? Do you know for a certainty that the ignition key and lock was changed?

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-22-2008, 10:49 AM

This may be fodder for another thread. If my information is correct, I am the 5th person on the network to own this car. In reverse chronological order, it was owned by me, JaySVX, TomSVX, pnyklr, and Boxer6SVX. I think Tom replaced the ignition switch. If he doesn't post, I think I'll PM him about it. Regardless, I have a key (not original) which works in the ignition only. I wish I knew more about what caused the battery to drain. Is this a common problem? I'll search previous posts for a possible cause/solution.
Ed
Old 06-22-2008, 05:38 PM

Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxed View Post
You can do what I did. Remove the door locks and take them to a locksmith with your ignition key and have them re-key the door locks. That way all the locks will work with the same key.
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 06-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Not an easy thing to retro fit, I imagine.
Very true, but there are add-ons for aftermarket alarms that allow you to install a key pad... i recall one company that was even going to release a tape that you apply to the inside of the glass that illuminated with the numbers when you press... I imagine it wouldn't work well in winter, but I thought the concept was really cool... much better than some ford like key pad sticking on the outside of your car

...the handle trick is nifty, I had no idea it was available on the SVX... anywhere.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorSVXette View Post
You can do what I did. Remove the door locks and take them to a locksmith with your ignition key and have them re-key the door locks. That way all the locks will work with the same key.
Thank you. I did consider that possibility while looking at the tumblers. Do you know if this is a specialty by certain locksmiths? The cylinders are small so I could ship them.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:25 AM

Classic SVX

Sorry took so long to reply. Havent been on in a while. You should be able to take it to any locksmith. If they are a "Locksmith", they should have no problem changing the tumblers to fit the key.
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 06-30-2008, 04:56 AM
Mr Soob

Years ago when NRMA were selling CarCom, I got that. Because I got a keyfob for keyless entry, and my car had central locking, I rarely ever leave the keys in the car.

But, if I were to ever lock my keys in the car, I just call them up and get them to unlock it remotely.

It's great!
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 06-30-2008, 07:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to berger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
I don't know why Subaru doesn't do this, but my Toyota won't let you lock the door if the key is in the ignition, if you hit the lock switch or flip the lever, it automatically unlocks. And it's not an age thing cuz the 'Yota is a 90... (It's a Cressida in case you were wondering, has the same 7M-GE 3 liter inline six as the Supra, just not turbo and dog-o-matic)
I have driven a couple cars that have done the same... wont let you lock the door with the keys in the ignition.. Might have been a Mazda bt50 maybe?

Also, i once locked my keys in the old SVX. But because i did. the alarm went off... I secretly duct taped a spare key on the fuel tank completely out of view... Which no theif would find.. only locked the keys once though in the 3 years of driving it..
Old 07-09-2008, 10:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13

actually hiding your keys on the car is the first place a thief looks. alot of people know that people will hide keys on the outside of there car in case of a lockin, and they scoure the car to find them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berger View Post
I have driven a couple cars that have done the same... wont let you lock the door with the keys in the ignition.. Might have been a Mazda bt50 maybe?

Also, i once locked my keys in the old SVX. But because i did. the alarm went off... I secretly duct taped a spare key on the fuel tank completely out of view... Which no theif would find.. only locked the keys once though in the 3 years of driving it..
Old 08-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Mechanical 'L' plater ahead

Yup, just now.

Started her to warm up while I hung some washing. Alarm/Immobiliser kicked in and locked the doors, even though it was slightly ajar. Normally I have to deliberately activate it with the remote when I'm in the car and its running.

Thanks nice Mr RACQ man.

*smiles ruefully* am now off to WOW to try and find out what make the alarm is... and to get a spare key cut....

No plants = no life on earth - so go forth and plant green things!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg

Guilty.......Left the keys in one I was working on with the windows up. When I reconnected the battery the alarm system turned on and lock the doors on me. I used a wire hanger to pull up the driverside door lock, but everytime I started to open the door it would relock. Had my father open the passenger door will I held up on the lock.