How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-28-2002, 06:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to AnthraXFan Send a message via Yahoo to AnthraXFan
temp gauge question

hey all. i've got a 1996 svx L edition, thinking all about the tranny temp problems. Are there any of you out there with 95 or 96's and have decided to put an aftermarket tranny cooler on your machines? I think i might put a temp gauge in my car just for the fun of watching it. let me know

Go to my Site!

http://www.railroadfan.com
Old 07-28-2002, 07:07 PM
taohog

I would recommend installation of a digital temp. gage. You can set the upper temperature limit to "flash" when exceeded. I purchased a 2 inch temperature gage for $40 plus $16 for the sender.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:30 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Tranny Temp gauge

Do it!!! I have a 95 L that I just got a cooler put on. B&M 500268 if I remember correctly between the condensor and radiator and had a Norsdoq digital gauge put on in the pan on the opposite side of the drain bolt. In town it has no problems getting up to around 210 degrees farenheit in +80 degree outside temps. Runs pretty consistantly around 170 on the highway. I put it in a series with the stock cooler so if one clogs I should be fine for the time being. I'd be curious with some before and after temps though if you want to put your gauge in, run it awhile then do the cooler. Ya know before and after.
Old 07-28-2002, 08:01 PM
Kamaleon

benebob i think u mean that you installed in parallel?!

because in series if one clogs the other will also..
Old 07-28-2002, 10:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Re: Tranny Temp gauge

Get the smaller 70255 and put it in front of the condenser. The slightly larger size doesn't really make up for the reduced airflow behind the condenser. I had just one "stacked" cooler with the same design and size as the 70268 installed there, and during the recent 95-100 degree days, it still couldn't keep up. It was able to maintain around 190 at highway speeds, but as soon as I exited, it would shoot up to 220+, which was just too high for my liking. I decided to install the 70255 in front and in series with the other one since it was too much trouble to take out. Now even when it's 100 outside, it keeps a consistent 140-150 and spikes to only 190 in extended stop and go traffic. My advice is, if you have to choose one, get the smaller one and put it in front.

The only problem I can see with my dual coolers is when winter rolls around and I can't warm up the tranny fluid enough. Guess I'll worry about it when it happens.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
Do it!!! I have a 95 L that I just got a cooler put on. B&M 500268 if I remember correctly between the condensor and radiator and had a Norsdoq digital gauge put on in the pan on the opposite side of the drain bolt. In town it has no problems getting up to around 210 degrees farenheit in +80 degree outside temps. Runs pretty consistantly around 170 on the highway.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:49 PM

Registered SVX
kuoh,
Have you noticed if you leave it in Drive it runs cooler? My temp jumps from 145 to 190 when I keep it in 3rd. In the cold weather just leave it in 3rd, the fluid will heat up in the torque converter for a reasonable operating temp.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:27 PM

With the summer weather, it used to get well over 180 regardless of what gear selection I chose. Once it got hot, there was no cooling it down unless I went above 75, and even then it wasn't by much. Now with the smaller cooler in front, I get temps of less than 160 at highway speeds and top out at 190 in extended city driving.

KuoH
Old 07-29-2002, 09:38 PM

Registered SVX
I have a 30k gvw Hayden stack cooler behind the condensor. I have bypassed the stock radiator cooler. At 75 on the freeway it runs at 145 in drive, I don't shift to 3rd since I put in the temp gauge.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:47 PM

I've got the 671, probably the same one as yours, behind the condenser and I know it doesn't stay below 160 for long in 100 degree weather. After my 20 minute highway commute, it was usually up in the 180's and continued to climb during the 10-15 minute city driving after getting off the highway. This was obviously before the additional B&M cooler.

KuoH
Old 07-30-2002, 07:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to AnthraXFan Send a message via Yahoo to AnthraXFan
well, thanks guys for all the input, i'm going to get the tranny temp gauge first, then see what kind of temps i'm running. i'll keep you all updated.

Go to my Site!

http://www.railroadfan.com