How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-19-2002, 08:45 PM
bjones

Handling: 5-speed vs 4EAT

One thing that I have not seen any comments on is whether or not the SVX handles differently from standard with the 5-speed transmission. The understeer noticeable with the 4EAT was one of my reservations about buying an SVX. I have only driven one SVX without the salesperson with me, naturally I had to test it out and I ended up on the wrong side of the road on a particularly tight corner, fortunately there was nobody coming the other way but the understeer genuinely scared the s**t out of me . A Subaru release (see http://homepage.mac.com.joeaux/svx/drivetrain.txt ) says that the TCU assumes that the car is cornering if the front/rear speed differential is less than 20% and sends power to the front wheels to ".. increase traction during the turn". How do you say understeer? Also there was a good post by Harvey in the Down Under section describing the planetary center differential fitted to non-North American cars. In that thread there was praise for the SVX's handling and the absence of understeer.

With the 5-speed we have a true center differential (ie. 50/50 front/rear torque split if there is no slippage) with a viscous coupling. This makes it like my Eagle Talon except even better since we have the limited slip rear differential (my Talon doesn't have this, I went with ABS instead). Typically the Talon understeers going into the corner, then will switch to lift throttle oversteer, then when you turn the power on it simply goes where you point it. Very predictable and easy to control, and very, very fast.

I'd be very interested to hear if any of the owners who have the 5-speed have noticed a difference in the way the car handles. Certainly the consensus is that it is more nimble, but I wonder if it is possible to be more precise.