Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-06-2006, 07:53 AM

"Buzzing" exhaust & Tranny question

Probably a couple common issues but wondering what you think. I've got a distinct buzz almost a nasal passage kinda sound when driving the car under load. Sure sounds like a heat shield vibrating against metal which I recall I had with another older Subaru a few years back. Sound like it's the Cat or something closely related? Second question. The transmission (I'm at 90k & no rebuild) started making a few small "clunks" when I was in reverse a few days ago. Then in Drive, I got a couple more before the problem ceased. It was driven a little aggressively before this occurred and hasn't repeated since. Tranny fluid is pink and at the correct level but has that little burn stink to it. Would it be a good idea to do a new filter and fluid change along with the some Brad Penn LSD additive (& a tranny cooler) & see how it goes? Or does this symptom sound like something more severe getting ready to show itself? Hmmm?
Old 07-06-2006, 08:10 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I have put hose clamps around heat shields to tighten them up, works well. On the SVX I took off all the heat shields and put insulation wrap on the pipes and reinstalled the shields. No more buzzzzzing heat shields ever.

Clicking noise from AT? You may want to check out your front axles and the flexplate betwen the AT and 3.3L.

I change the AT fluid and Subaru external filter every year, about 30k miles and the magnet in the pan tells the story, just some powder on it and no chips. The amount of powder or thickness of the powder on the magnet is indication of clutch plate wear. Chips on the other hand indicate excessive wear.

The magnet is also a magnetic filter, removing particles from the ATF. Needs to be cleaned in my opinion.

I use Lucas AT additive.

Take care too,
John
Old 07-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The clunk in reverse is likely the tranny mount.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:15 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to svxdriver420
[QUOTE=subiedo]The transmission (I'm at 90k & no rebuild) started making a few small "clunks" when I was in reverse a few days ago. QUOTE]

I was getting a clunk when I put it into gear and found it was the rubber mounts that the rear diff rides. The rubber was ripped.. Replaced them and haven't heard it since.. They are a nightmare to get out, but fixed my clunking sound..