Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-18-2003, 07:37 PM

X marks the spot!

I went to a local car show today. Being out numbered by so many American cars on the parking lot, someone decides to scratch an "X" on my rear spolier. Ignorant stupid people, this is the times I hate being American. Makes me made that I defened these ****s during the Gulf War, and as a veteran, this is what I get. I work at a major design studio, and I can tell you from first hand that alot of "American Cars" are not designed by Americans. I for one am not born American, but times like this makes me frustrated saying I am one. The world does not revolve around Detroit steel anymore, the world is to small of a place where alot of things are not made here anymore. Why can't people look past the racial and ethentic back grounds. So I washed & waxed my car. I am just waiting for the wax to dry, I think I can take out the scratch, it does not look deep and I think, I can take rub it out with my buffer.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:48 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Dang, sorry to hear that. I don't understand why an SVX would be targeted. I really think it stands apart from most Japanese cars. I am more of a "domestic" fan than "import" one, but find the SVX to be so unique that I wouldn't understand why anyone would ever take out a key and say, "DAMN IMPORT!" Damaging someone else's car because you are an ignorant fool is just terrible. I bet they were just jealous that your SVX has so much more in common with a Porsche than their Excursion does.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 06-18-2003, 07:50 PM
Superbeast

Just think of it as a compliment, it's obvious that the perp was just envious of you and wanted to deface the very object of his envy.

My freind just got back from Laconia this weekend, when he was up their he saw a Subaru/HardlyDavidson dealership. Only in NH.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 06-18-2003, 10:44 PM
wantaSVX

*redneck voice*

you got a problem sonny with our NH ways!!

i mean my god man we just lost our state face in a rock
Old 06-19-2003, 01:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Man, I'm sorry to hear that somebody did that to your car. I'll never understand what it takes to come to the conclusion that defacing somebody else's property is within your rights. Especially when it's something that the owner of that property is obviously a proud owner.

I don't get it. You're absolutely right, and I agree with you 100%. People are so stupid. They're dumber in groups, though - and I imagine that's why it happened. Somebody was emboldened by a group. Did you talk to te organizers of the event? Chance are, they're smarter than the participants and would work to prevent such an occurance in the future.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-19-2003, 01:30 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Its a damn shame the lack of respect people have for others. To intentionally scratch someones car or even accidentally and not fess up to it is just plain stupid.

Its a sad reflection on our society. Last year I was working in my front yard and a family was leaving the church across the street from me to get to their car parked in front of my house. As the father was putting the kids in the back seat, he threw a bunch of garbage from the car onto my lawn. After he shut their door and started walking around to the driver's side I asked him to please come back and pick up his litter. His response consisted of lots of swearing, racial slurs, and something about my mother. As he got in his car (without picking up the trash) I told him he may want to pay better attention next time he's at church...

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker

Last edited by mohrds; 06-19-2003 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:01 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds
As the father was putting the kids in the back seat, I threw a bunch of garbage from the car onto my lawn.
Doug - this sentence confused me for a moment, I didn't get why you were throwing garbage out of someone else's car onto your own lawn. And then you had the nerve to be mad about it? Sheesh!

I figured out what you really meant from the context though. That is a sad story. But at least you had a really good comeback for him!

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 06-19-2003, 02:05 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver

Doug - this sentence confused me for a moment, I didn't get why you were throwing garbage out of someone else's car onto your own lawn. And then you had the nerve to be mad about it? Sheesh!

I figured out what you really meant from the context though. That is a sad story. But at least you had a really good comeback for him!
Thanks for the correction. I have corrected the original post.

The most technologically advanced spell checker is no match for my lack of sleep!!

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 06-19-2003, 02:13 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
What a fool.

I mean, yeah, American cars WERE cool. But now most of them suck. Think about it. Chevy Malibu. Dodge Stratus. Intrepid. Sunfire. Grand Prix. Grand Am. Blech. How boring.

America is behind. The only thing most domestics have going for them is PRICE. Other than that... blech.

- Rob

PS: it was probably an SUV owner.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:40 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
What might help clarify this story is telling us what type of car show it was. And were you entering the SVX in the show or just parked nearby?

The majority of car shows or "cruise ins" around this area are primarily American muscle cars or older. People are big on seeing the 40's and 50's cars and/or the true muscle cars of the 60's and 70's. Once in a while you'll see a pristine top of the line Vette or Viper there but that is about it. The modded imports stick to their own street activities or organized import only shows. There's exceptions, and most shows advertise as anyone can enter, but imports definitely stick out like a sore thumb. Still that is no excuse for this behavior and generally the owners of classic cars are the type that would believe keying ANY car is a crime punishable by death. Who knows though, either way that is unacceptable.

A few of us actually parked our SVXes at a classic car cruise in last summer (again, it was advertised as anyone welcome, but I think we were the only Japanese cars there and the only post 1975 or so aside from one ZO6 and one Viper). We got lots of strange looks and I felt really out of place. But our ringleader Jim (seasvx) was all into it, getting out his SVX business card holder to put on the hood and taping up an SVX info sheet, etc. We went to go eat and look at the other cars, but kept an eye on the SVXes. They were parked kinda on the end of the lot and were ignored for a while (though I'm sure they were being looked at and talked about from afar), but eventually people started to migrate over towards them and poke around. Finally Earl jumped up from the table and went over to give the SVX sales pitch. The rest of us went over and by the end of the evening had got quite a few questions and compliments. I'm sure there were still some purists that were wondering what we were doing there, but at least some positives too.

Last edited by WestCoastSVX; 06-19-2003 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:09 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Wink Last story on this thread, I promise

Okay, this story dates me a bit, which is weird because I'm only 30, but in the last 10 years or so things have changed so much.

When I was in high school around 1990, there was no such thing as "rice" (yeah, I know that term has been around a lot longer and had slightly different meanings, but you know what I mean here). You were cool if you drove a 60's or 70's muscle car or a 4x4 truck of pretty much any kind. Yeah I grew up in a slightly redneck area, but this seemed to be a pretty consistent trend. There were Hondas and other little imports of course (remember back when pretty much every import car was little, even Accords and Camrys?), but those were just considered basic practical transportation, they were cheaper and more reliable (remember back when Hondas and Toyotas were cheaper than a same year domestic, new or used?). There were no mods for these or any domestic compact cars or sedans for that matter. The only "mods" were things like bored out big block engines, headers, lift blocks, etc for your muscle car or a 6 inch lift and 36" tires for your '85 Chevy truck.

So now that you have the background, around that time period my buddies and I would go down to the city on Saturday nights in the summer and hang around where all these cruisers would meet. It was a pretty tight group of souped up muscle car owners who would get together to check out cars, share advice, and then do drag race challenges. The two racers would leave the lot and head out to the strip on the freeway that would pass by near the lot, down a hill. There was a pedistrian overpass right by the lot where spectators could go stand above the drag strip as it were. In all the times we went there we never actually saw a race, we would just hear reports about which car beat which what week, etc. They kept it pretty low key obviously to keep the cops from busting up the parking lot meets. Anyway, their hard and fast rule for being accepted into the parking lot was "muscle cars and pickups only, and definitely NO IMPORTS". Remember, this is back in a time when no one had ever thought of modding a Civic to be any where near the performance of one of these cars, so it wasn't like a import driver could come in and school them or anything. For that matter there weren't even any production imports with decent performance yet. Maybe a good ol' 280Z or RX7 could have beat a couple of them, but there weren't really any import clubs or followings back then and the drivers wouldn't really be interested in hanging with the Detroit muscle boys anyway. We were always cool to park there because we either had my '79 Trans Am or my buddy's '81 Toyota 4x4 (yeah, it was an import, but import trucks were cool and his was lifted with big tires. And as Nick will atest, you just don't mess with a Toyota truck).

So what was my point? Other than reminiscing on a simpler time not so long ago, I guess it was that the import bias has been around for a while, and now it can only be worse with the attitude of the "ricers" giving all other imports a bad name.

Old 06-19-2003, 05:29 PM

Registered SVX
I don't know that I'd say that you shouldn't 'mess with' Toyota trucks. They're hardly in the bruiser category. But they are unstoppable. Quietly unstoppable, I'd call it. The 22RE is one of the best engines ever conceived by man.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 06-19-2003, 05:44 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
No way. Chrysler Slant 6. Best engine concieved by man. Period. They don't even need oil! Hell, throw gravel in the pan, it won't care! Those engines are GREAT!

- Rob
Old 06-19-2003, 06:43 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
No way. Chrysler Slant 6. Best engine concieved by man. Period. They don't even need oil! Hell, throw gravel in the pan, it won't care! Those engines are GREAT!

- Rob
Look, Rob. No offense, but I'm not in the friggin' mood for an engine debate. I'm here in front of this computer for over 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. I've been doing it for weeks and I have a couple to go. So I'm tired. Too tired for this crap.

I didn't say that the 22RE was the best engine ever built. I said it was one of the best. Hell, I'll even say that I'm not nearly qualified to say something like that. I just know that I had a Toyota pickup for seven years, and it served me flawlessly despite college-student maintenance.

If you want to add your slant 6 to my list of 'best engines ever,' that's fine. But don't try to replace my list with it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE