Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-14-2003, 01:46 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mark10t
I've always loved Mini Coopers!

If you've never seen it, (or even if you have- a worthy reminder), I would encourage you to watch an old Michael Caine move called "The Italian Job" that had the most terrifc chase scenes in it featuring Mini Coopers.

I wanted to see the movie again, but for the longest time it wasn't available on VHS, so I had to set my alarm so I could tape it off the cable TV one night at about 2:30AM.

(I still don't know if it's available on tape or DVD yet.)

-Mark

Sho'nuff is.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...399094-4588937

Collector's edition on DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...399094-4588937
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-14-2003, 01:55 PM

you're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off !!

Damn Randy, you beat me to it............

and now you can work out where my signature line comes from !!

Only trouble with The Italian Job is a few people who have started to look too deeply into the context of the film. They say the english are portrayed as, all-be-it loveable, wreckless criminals, the Italian police as stupid and incompetant, in fact the only group shown with any decorum and character were the Mafia...........

Oh, and the fact that Holliwood is doing a remake staring Mark Wahrburg as Charlie Croker, using the new BMW-Mini's chasing around LA.................
Old 03-14-2003, 02:09 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: you're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off !!

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Hill
Damn Randy, you beat me to it............

and now you can work out where my signature line comes from !!

Only trouble with The Italian Job is a few people who have started to look too deeply into the context of the film. They say the english are portrayed as, all-be-it loveable, wreckless criminals, the Italian police as stupid and incompetant, in fact the only group shown with any decorum and character were the Mafia...........

Oh, and the fact that Holliwood is doing a remake staring Mark Wahrburg as Charlie Croker, using the new BMW-Mini's chasing around LA.................
You HAVE noticed Caine's "Spy Car" as Austin Power's father in "GOld Member," haven't you?
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-14-2003, 09:30 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Sport Compact Car test results

<What came in first place?>

I reported this test about a month ago in another thread Rob.

As you well know, the SRT-4 Neon came in first.

The Mazdaspeed Protege came a very close second, with my SVT Focus and the Mini Cooper S tied for third.

I was at the dealer where I bought my Focus earlier this week, and they are also a Mazda dealer. They have yet to receive any of the Mazdaspeeds or RX-8's in yet. None of our Dodge dealers have any SRT-4's either. When they get them, it will be interesting to see how much they actually want for them, compared to the announced price. If the price holds at $20k, and the engine can stay reliable under all that turbo pressure, then they will have a winner on their hands.

Prior to driving the SVT, a ACR Neon was the best handling front wheel drive sport compact I had ever driven, and I have mentioned that several times in various postings here.
Reliability has been the main objection to Neons, that I am aware of. There are folks who don't think very highly of Fords either, so I guess I will be a rolling reliability lab experiment for the next few years!

Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Last edited by SVXphile; 03-14-2003 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-15-2003, 12:42 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
Re: Re: I miss my cooper 1275

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane

Heh. Good story man, sounds like a lot of fun. What happened to it? Also, just an FYI, most FWD cars will lift the rear inside tire in a tight curn if they're set up right.
Well, as I mentioned the trany and engine oil are one in the same, when I lost 2nd and 4th gear, I pulled the front end off, motor suspention etc, then cut the rest of the body into 2 peices, after removing the dorrs, and threw it in the dumpster. Sold the Front end to another Mini fan for $500, he in turn put the whole front end in his garage, and we never spoke of it again.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 03-15-2003, 06:24 PM
Paxton71

mini/austin

When I was 15 I rebuilt a '59 bugeye Sprite. I learned to drive on that car. Lots of mini parts were shared.
The bugeye still had the 948CC mill, 30 over, 1 1/8 carbs, dual valve springs, big hot cam...Didn't run well below 3000rpm, fun to learn to drive in a racecar. *laughs!*

16 was the begining of BIG Healey (3000MkIII)restore year. That car is still in the family. I love driving it in the summer.

When I was 18 I was racing a G production Spitfire (SCCA)
That had the 1275 engine. No Neons passed me, but I did get passed by some VW rabbits. Inside rear wheels were often 1 foot off the ground as they went by. (more of that FWD tire lift proof)

Later, I crewed and sometimes drove a B production Mazda. HUGE power. Amazing machine, but not as fun as the Spitfire!

Now I enjoy running over rocks with my little truck. The circle is more of a spiral, isn't it?