How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-10-2014, 08:22 AM
Phil & Belha

Unhappy Gearbox failed again ?

I drove home from work at lunchtime and noticed that something wasn't right with the car. There was a very slight almost imperceptable low-frequency vibration. Most people wouldn't even have noticed it, but I know this car well and I could tell something was different to normal. However I couldn't really put my finger on what it was or where is was coming from.

Then after lunch on the way back to work I reversed out of my driveway into the middle of the road. Put the stick in D and there was a loud bang and a screech of metal on metal. The car didn't move. Engine runs sweetly, but I have no gears forward or back, just a whole load of neutral.

I got Belha to tow it out of the middle of the road and onto the grass verge outside my house. Of course it was lashing down with rain and hail stones, just to add to the fun.

Anybody else had this, or like to speculate on what could be wrong?

I've had two trans failures before, the usual sort from overheating. But it's different this time because it's sudden and the oil was barely warm. I'd only driven it a mile or so, slow and gentle. It's like something has snapped or come adrift.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 10-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: Gearbox failed again ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
I drove home from work at lunchtime and noticed that something wasn't right with the car. There was a very slight almost imperceptable low-frequency vibration. Most people wouldn't even have noticed it, but I know this car well and I could tell something was different to normal. However I couldn't really put my finger on what it was or where is was coming from.

Then after lunch on the way back to work I reversed out of my driveway into the middle of the road. Put the stick in D and there was a loud bang and a screech of metal on metal. The car didn't move. Engine runs sweetly, but I have no gears forward or back, just a whole load of neutral.

I got Belha to tow it out of the middle of the road and onto the grass verge outside my house. Of course it was lashing down with rain and hail stones, just to add to the fun.

Anybody else had this, or like to speculate on what could be wrong?

I've had two trans failures before, the usual sort from overheating. But it's different this time because it's sudden and the oil was barely warm. I'd only driven it a mile or so, slow and gentle. It's like something has snapped or come adrift.
Just a silly question, have you checked the fluid ? Are there any grinding or any other noises?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 10-10-2014, 11:16 AM

Registered SVX

best case would be broken flexplate.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 10-10-2014, 04:07 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheinen74 View Post
best case would be broken flexplate.
No, the best would be a broken front axle!
Followed by a broken flexplate,
followed by a blown front diff,
followed by a sheared something something inside the center/main section of the transmission.

1) If you can have someone start the engine while you are looking under the hood,
first see if the engine actually starts and runs, or if it just spins the torque converter. If the starter turns the torque converter but does not spin the engine you know its a flexplate.

2) If the engine runs have the person hold the brakes on, put the car in drive or reverse and watch the front axles.
If one is spinning and squeeling, YAY its that axle!
Good luck.
Tom
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 10-10-2014, 06:01 PM

Registered SVX

yes, corrected me and ^ is right, broken axle....would be ideal best.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 10-16-2014, 05:47 AM
Phil & Belha

Thanks for the advice.

Fluid is OK.

I jacked it up and had a look. None of the shafts are turning, so probably not an axle. If I turn a front wheel by hand then the one on the other side turns the opposite way, so front diff probably OK.

If I put the car in gear it makes a whining noise, the pitch of the noise changes as I shift it through the gears. So I think the box is shifting correctly and the problem is on the output or the centre diff.

Inserting the centre diff lock fuse doesn't change anything.

Does anybody know if it's possible to remove the extension case on the back of the trans (to inspect the centre diff), without removing the entire trans from the car?

Swapping the trans is not something I can do in my driveway, but if the centre diff can be removed separately then maybe I can fix this myself. Or am I kidding myself?

Otherwise I'll have to get two of my SVXes towed to a shop and see if they can make one good one from the bits.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 10-23-2014, 09:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX

Have you made any progress?
I went out today to go, and have no gears either. No banging, or anything like that, but no gears. Shift to anything, and raise the idle, and it tries to go forward, even in reverse, but only slightly.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 10-23-2014, 12:32 PM
eg33svx95

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiuludeSVX View Post
Have you made any progress?
I went out today to go, and have no gears either. No banging, or anything like that, but no gears. Shift to anything, and raise the idle, and it tries to go forward, even in reverse, but only slightly.
Have you checked fluid level? The very first time I did an AT fluid drain, I didn't add enought back in and the car wouldn't move in any gear. If you have an ATF leak it might have put you "low" enough for no go..

Is your power light blinking 16 times when you start the car?

It could be that your forward, high and reverse clutch went out, just seems a little odd that they all went out at the same time.

Maybe it's just time for a 4.44 swap.
Brilliant Red 95 SVX L AWD 149K miles - #904/1801, 08 STI 6MT with DCCD & VSS, ACT SB10 HDSS, 6MT bushings, DW200 Fuel pump, 17x7.5 VX-SCYTHE Wheels, 17x8 BBS STI Wheels,PERRIN CRANK PULLEY, 911 Turbo oil filter,$15/15min MOD & $20/20min Mod, Brontrager WORKS 22mm RSB w/ QS component endlinks, SS Brake Lines, DDM TUNING 6000K HID LOWS, Hella Optilux Extreme Yellow Fog Lights,Window scratcher fix, JDM Clear Corners

My Locker
Old 10-23-2014, 07:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX

I found today, that I had the fluid routing all mushed up, but got that right this afternoon.
Still can't catch any gears, although when starting up, I can get it to move forward and back in the first 30 seconds. Then it all goes away.

I may drop the pan, to drain it all, and then fill it up again, just to be sure.
I know the TC had fluid in it when I put the engine back in, and I assume the system sends fluid to it over time, to keep it at level.

I used to get the 16 Power flashes before pulling the engine and replacing the Flex Plate assembly {shattered when a mechanic stripped a bolt} with the updated version, but not since. I also changed the knock sensors, Water Pump, Idlers and Tensioner with new parts.
I do have a solid CEL now though. I will also look up the practice for TCU codes next.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles