Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-30-2016, 07:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to trueblue
Registered SVX
Wink Re: Active members

I check here once a week or so to see if I am missing something. I love the car and read all information I can find on it, even if I have not had the problem yet.

The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see. -Winston Churchill

My baby: 94 lsi
My fast baby: 2001 Suzuki Marauder
My new baby: 2010 Subaru Outback
Old 05-01-2016, 09:14 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: Active members

I don't post often but, there's so much searchable information on this site that you can usually easily find the answers that you need.

WDB had a potentially good idea to increase site involvement. Is it possible (and financially feasible) to develop a smart phone app that links to this website?

1994 LSi Laguna Blue 93K
1996 LSi Ebony Pearl 84K
1997 LSi Polo Green 56K
1997 LSi Polo Green 17K
1992 Liquid Silver 206K (parts)
2009 Legacy GT Spec B 46K
2000 Volvo XC70 201K
Old 05-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I only joined in 2011, when I bought my polo, so I think I missed the busiest days for this forum. Everything I've learned here made owning the SVX fun.

If I want a fast answer, I go to FB. Then, I come here and dig into research.

It seems that the questions on FB rarely go unanswered, right or wrong. Here, they can languish for days or more because they've already been answered here.

Turning this into and App like NASIOC has sounds like a good idea. Might be a good way to merge FB, Instagram, Forum.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:52 AM
eg33svx95

Registered SVX

It's simple the forum is like a library... no one visits libraries. The facebook forum is equivalent to and everyone uses . The information is available in both places and although the forum is the most reliable, users don't want to spend hours on hours sifting through 20+ pages to find their answer(s). Times change!

I joined back in 2011 and to this day still log into the forum every day, but like others have said, if you want a quick reply or simply want to share a pic of the spaceship a lot more people see it on Facebook/Instagram. The forum does have a lot of useful information,. Ie. How-To docs.
Brilliant Red 95 SVX L AWD 149K miles - #904/1801, 08 STI 6MT with DCCD & VSS, ACT SB10 HDSS, 6MT bushings, DW200 Fuel pump, 17x7.5 VX-SCYTHE Wheels, 17x8 BBS STI Wheels,PERRIN CRANK PULLEY, 911 Turbo oil filter,$15/15min MOD & $20/20min Mod, Brontrager WORKS 22mm RSB w/ QS component endlinks, SS Brake Lines, DDM TUNING 6000K HID LOWS, Hella Optilux Extreme Yellow Fog Lights,Window scratcher fix, JDM Clear Corners

My Locker
Old 05-05-2016, 01:34 PM

Less than 50 over here in the UK still on the road, but I still visit if I need to find out about something, so much great info available while FB is quick and dirty.

Long live the SVX and it's many fans.

My '93 is going well, just had a full service, rear brakes, cam belt change and MOT so all well at the moment.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:49 AM

Registered SVX

I'm "active" in the sense that I'm a diehard lurker. I believe i've only posted in the introduction thread and the 1994 thread to log my SVX as being in a state of restoration. A project of learning and "love" for me.

This forum has been a massive inflow of information for me and I'm extremely grateful to siphon off of the knowledge of many experienced SVX owners. I hope to someday repay what I've absorbed here as even more expanded knowledge to others of this fun car.

I got my SVX almost a year ago now and have yet to drive it thanks to a blown front differential. So far from information from this forum I've sourced a correct 4.44 transmission, and 4.44 rear diff that I will in the coming weeks swap the LSD into, and new parts to fix the big oil leak in the front timing area, and finally swap the trans/rear diff, get new rubber on the tires and get it on the road again.

with the knowledge gained from this site, i've swapped the alternator that was causing crazy light shows on the dash, fixed the leaky power steering o-ring causing a big mess, replaced both drive belts that were literally shredding apart, fixed a huge crack in the radiator (and plan on getting an all-aluminum radiator once i get it running good). cleaned up much of the interior (in very bad shape, will need to re-leather all seats but the rest was mostly recoverable) and replaced the shot hood struts that caused the hood to flop down uneventfully due to age. eh, the list goes on.

Yeah the SVX i got is in a serious state of disrepair... but it was only $350 as bought and I've put maybe $600 into it so far. Once its driving clean I'll re-paint it (haggard bordeaux currently, want to make it laguna blue but may still stick with factory bordeaux color, dont really want to pull a well-running engine to repaint the bay...)

To have a car that was arguably prohibitively expensive when it was released, and has features of a car I just bought in 2016 brand new, yet is over 20 years old... I'm excited to get it running.

and this forum is the prime reason I've gained the knowledge of this unicorn of a subaru to even properly work on it.

I'm not surprised the forum isnt very active in this day and age... the SVX is really a niche car, unlike my ford ranger that I currently daily drive (and has massive forum presence due to the amount of ownership of this vehicle). But I am very glad that the SVX has had the steam and contribution over the last decade or so considering its rarity. It is a very intriguing car and I'm quite excited to get the experience of it very soon.

So... thank you all for keeping this forum active, even in the slow times... it has been invaluable to me.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:34 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurikai View Post
I'm "active" in the sense that I'm a diehard lurker. I believe i've only posted in the introduction thread and the 1994 thread to log my SVX as being in a state of restoration. A project of learning and "love" for me.

This forum has been a massive inflow of information for me and I'm extremely grateful to siphon off of the knowledge of many experienced SVX owners. I hope to someday repay what I've absorbed here as even more expanded knowledge to others of this fun car.

I got my SVX almost a year ago now and have yet to drive it thanks to a blown front differential. So far from information from this forum I've sourced a correct 4.44 transmission, and 4.44 rear diff that I will in the coming weeks swap the LSD into, and new parts to fix the big oil leak in the front timing area, and finally swap the trans/rear diff, get new rubber on the tires and get it on the road again.

with the knowledge gained from this site, i've swapped the alternator that was causing crazy light shows on the dash, fixed the leaky power steering o-ring causing a big mess, replaced both drive belts that were literally shredding apart, fixed a huge crack in the radiator (and plan on getting an all-aluminum radiator once i get it running good). cleaned up much of the interior (in very bad shape, will need to re-leather all seats but the rest was mostly recoverable) and replaced the shot hood struts that caused the hood to flop down uneventfully due to age. eh, the list goes on.

Yeah the SVX i got is in a serious state of disrepair... but it was only $350 as bought and I've put maybe $600 into it so far. Once its driving clean I'll re-paint it (haggard bordeaux currently, want to make it laguna blue but may still stick with factory bordeaux color, dont really want to pull a well-running engine to repaint the bay...)

To have a car that was arguably prohibitively expensive when it was released, and has features of a car I just bought in 2016 brand new, yet is over 20 years old... I'm excited to get it running.

and this forum is the prime reason I've gained the knowledge of this unicorn of a subaru to even properly work on it.

I'm not surprised the forum isnt very active in this day and age... the SVX is really a niche car, unlike my ford ranger that I currently daily drive (and has massive forum presence due to the amount of ownership of this vehicle). But I am very glad that the SVX has had the steam and contribution over the last decade or so considering its rarity. It is a very intriguing car and I'm quite excited to get the experience of it very soon.

So... thank you all for keeping this forum active, even in the slow times... it has been invaluable to me.
That's great feedback for the forum. Thanks for posting!
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 05-06-2016, 05:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Wow, less than 50 on the road in the UK? Has it been difficult to find parts?
Some parts are no longer available from Subaru dealers but there are plenty of used parts around in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withavee View Post
Less than 50 over here in the UK still on the road, but I still visit if I need to find out about something, so much great info available while FB is quick and dirty.

Long live the SVX and it's many fans.

My '93 is going well, just had a full service, rear brakes, cam belt change and MOT so all well at the moment.

1994 LSi Laguna Blue 93K
1996 LSi Ebony Pearl 84K
1997 LSi Polo Green 56K
1997 LSi Polo Green 17K
1992 Liquid Silver 206K (parts)
2009 Legacy GT Spec B 46K
2000 Volvo XC70 201K
Old 05-07-2016, 07:00 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post

Do we really have a world network where the active member participation rate is only 6%?

John, the forum participation has fallen off a cliff since I want to say 08 or so. I have not been around at all basically due to "life getting in the way" but the car itself has fallen a great deal since I joined in 03. It is getting harder and harder to just keep them running no less in the condition you and Randy keep them in. I have great respect for those who can and are willing to do that. Unfortunately, I am a mod freak and the only way to keep that bug at bay is to drive a Ford Fusion with a 4 banger... no desire to mod that heap. bang for your buck in that department can be had for a lot cheaper with better cars. I got older and maybe wiser (don't ask my wife) but it does not fit my life anymore.

Tom