Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2002, 10:28 AM

wheel wisdom needed

I have a ’94 Lsi, bought at a Seattle dealer March 2001. The car was purchased wholesale in Pittsburgh and brought to Seattle by the dealer. It is in wonderful condition but does not have the original wheels. A set of “Modern” type 157 16 x 7 aftermarket wheels have been installed. No idea why or who did it. The tires looked new when I bought, so I have always suspected the wheels were changed between the time it left it’s original owner in PA and sold to me in WA. The only information I have been able to find on these “Modern” wheels is on the Les Schwab website (http://www.lesschwab.com/w3lsnet/bus...WheelsMain.asp) which is just a picture. I cannot find the website of this manufacturer.

On his website, Jamsvx has this: “Due to the unusual offset of the SVX, there are not many aftermarket wheels available that will easily fit the SVX. Although some wheels, using an incorrect offset will fit, beware that this can lead to added strain on the bearings - which, in addition to the transmission, is a common SVX problem.” I have read this elsewhere, his is just the only reference I could remember right now.

Here’s my questions:

- What are the complete specs of the SVX wheel, particularly the offset?
- How do I find out if the wheels on my car are truly compatible?
- If they are not, how does one determine which wheels are and are not compatible?
- What experience do any of you have with wheel change-outs?
- Does anyone have any experience getting the original SVX wheels chromed? (my most favored alternative to what I have now)

Thx in advance for any experience, data or advice.