SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-2005, 05:29 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Tuning the EG33 While Keeping it N/A- Part II

(I reserve its tuning PART I for Chike )

Ok guys, here it goes:

You all know now that sometimes I overdose myself into upgrading our SVX, even in a way turning out to be imaginary and not applicable… such as the copper intake . Well at least I didn’t loose momentum in this issue and I will keep trying and trying until I reach my objective. I need to tune our EG33 to the maximum possible without any booster. I know Chike is attempting a 270Hp “secret” project with an N/A EG33 without messing with the internals and I am very intrigued to find out how is he gonna do it. I also contacted Harvey (oab_au) and he advised me to wait until Chike’s project is done. But though, I thought about the whole issue and decided to start this thread and keep it in parallel with Chike’s project until it is revealed. It’s good to have two tuning setups for our EG33 while it is kept N/A, right?

Ok, what I have in mind is this: I am willing to rebuild my engine according to specific internals configurations, and get all the internals either new from the dealership or from another source. Stuff like regrinds on cams, forged pistons, steel billet rods from Crower, rings pins and locks from Deves or Crower, adjustable cam gears from Paeco… etc.

What I know so far is that the whole issue is mainly related to the cams setup and for that I have emailed many companies in the business of tuning and have advised me different configurations:

Some of U remember deruvian’s thread about the Bumpstick discussion:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ight=bumpstick

Garrett mentioned that the SVX’s stock cams configuration is the following:

Intake: Opens 2* B-TDC, closes 54* A-BDC, centered @ 116* A-TDC, 236* duration and 7.00mm lift
Exhaust: Opens 55* B-BDC, closes 9* A-TDC, centered @ 67* A-BDC, 244* duration and 8.00mm lift.

He also stated that for an aggressive turbo application the following configuration must be achieved:

Intake: Opens 8* B-TDC, closes 60* A-BDC, centered @ 116* A-TDC, 248* duration and 8.00mm lift
Exhaust: Opens 62* B-BDC, closes 18* A-TDC, centered @ 68* A-BDC, 260* duration and 8.6mm lift.

And for a N/A application:

Intake: Opens 2* B-TDC, closes 58* A-BDC, centered @ 118* A-TDC, 240* duration; 8.0mm lift.
Exhaust: Opens 59* B-BDC, closes 9* A-TDC, centered @ 65* A-BDC, 248* duration; 8.6mm lift.

As for Chris of EngineLogics he gave me the following setup:

Intake: Opens 4* B-TDC, close 43* A-BDC, centered @ 110* A-TDC, 225 - 228* duration and 9.6mm lift
Exhaust: Opens 45* B-BDC, close 9* A-TDC, centered @ 108* A-TDC, 235* duration and 8 – 9mm lift
He also suggested a proper port job on the cylinder heads as well as the installation of 1.0 mm oversize valves.

As for Scott from DeltaCams suggested only a modification of the intake cams with 193* duration ???? (not logical for a tuneup…) but I found out later with the help of my good friend Garrett (Deruvian) that it is least costly and better only to do the intake cams…

Above the cams’ grinding, a nice exhaust setup and intake system will do the job. I also plan to install a light flywheels, Z32 MAF and the SAFC fuel computer unit if it is compatible with OBD-I ECU …

I am not a guy who likes to be the First in accomplishing something, this is why I posted this thread publicly with no intention to keep it for myself knowing that another member may take the result and do it himself before I do. I just wanted to do a brainstorming thread where each member can contribute a little bit from his info and contacts and give his opinion of what he thinks/can be added or done otherwise to tune the SVX to its max.

I have PM’ed many members (especially Garrett) in this forum about many info I posted here, it was just for me not to post anything stupid for I learned and still learning great deal about mechanics but still missing a lot others.

OPINIONS??? ADDs-Ups ??

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.