Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A > Chris's SVX Shop
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2002, 06:10 PM

Replacing power steering pump?

I would first like to thank whoever is responsible for this site. I have had my SVX for 3 years and my father has had his 92 since new and it always seemed that for information about the car we were alone. But thanks to this site we are no longer. I must say that I am excited about the 5-Speed conversion. I think that when my Trans finally goes I won’t even bother getting it fixed, I’ll just buy the kit. I don’t consider myself a master mechanic but like to do my own work. Does the Kit drop in relatively easy or should I not (given the chance) attempt it on my own?
Anyway back to the point of this thread, I am buying a new power steering pump for my car. The current pump wines quite loud when cold and continues to wine following the Rpm’s throughout the drive. Also when I turn tight slowly I get a shimmy so I am sure that it is the pump. My question is that the pump I am getting does not come with the reservoir attached. How hard is it and what is involved in taking the original reservoir off the old and on to the new?

Any responses are appreciated,
Thanks again, Blue
Old 12-04-2002, 06:13 PM
Green1995SVX

HOLD ON!

Before you buy a power steering pump, check the O-ring between the power steering fluid tank and the pump. This is a commonly worn item, and it will cause the symptoms you've just described. Most of us here have replaced our o-rings at least once.

Mike
Old 12-04-2002, 10:30 PM

Do you mean to tell me that instead of a $382 part I can fix this with a $0.34 part? Have I mentioned how much I like this site?
Forgive my ignorance but I just want to make sure I do this right. I should pull of the reservoir and in between there is an o-ring to check? Will this be located on top or on the side facing the firewall?

Blue
Old 12-04-2002, 10:52 PM
Green1995SVX

It sits on top of the pump between the pump and the tank. Here is a picture of the bottom of the tank where the o ring goes:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/1169.jpg

Mike
Old 12-04-2002, 10:54 PM
Green1995SVX

This how-to tells you how to do the repair yourself. I have done it about 5 times, and can do it in like.. 5 mins now... Your first time should take about a half an hour at the most.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/1686.html

Mike
Old 12-05-2002, 01:49 AM

Well I know what I am doing tomorrow!! That was just what I needed I can’t thank you enough. Speaking of, what do you know about wheel bearings? Now that this project may turn out quite simple the next must be my wheel bearings. I would like to do it myself if possible but I don’t have a hub puller. Though I think that I could buy one from all the money I save doing it myself instead of taking it to Subaru.

Thanks for all your help,

Blue
Old 12-05-2002, 10:19 AM
Green1995SVX

I dont know much about the bearings. Perhaps Beav can be of some assistance.

Mike
Old 12-09-2002, 07:05 PM

Well guess what no longer whines in the mourning? That’s right! That little rubber ring fixed my power steering pump. I want to thank 95GreenSVX for all the information not to mention the $400 I saved. I think I’ll hang around the site and wait for an opportunity to pay it back.
Thanks again,
Blue
Old 12-09-2002, 08:42 PM
AbdominalSnoman

How on earth does an o-ring cause those symptoms? I was going to go to subaru to get the o-ring today, but I got there too late. It doesn't make sense to me without having first taken it apart. Does the o-ring do more than just prevent atf fluid from leaking out of the reservoir and all over the engine compartment?

Last edited by AbdominalSnoman; 12-09-2002 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:50 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Not only does it seal the p/s fluid in but it also seals the air out. In other words, air is thinner than oil and can be sucked in past the defective o-ring, thereby causing bubbles in the system which cause the noise, etc.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:53 PM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue94
Well I know what I am doing tomorrow!! That was just what I needed I can’t thank you enough. Speaking of, what do you know about wheel bearings? Now that this project may turn out quite simple the next must be my wheel bearings. I would like to do it myself if possible but I don’t have a hub puller. Though I think that I could buy one from all the money I save doing it myself instead of taking it to Subaru.

Thanks for all your help,

Blue
Do a search for "Hub Tamer", about $260. My advice? Just pull the offending knuckle from the car and truck it down to your local machine shop with your bearing and seals. They'll probably charge around $20 - $30 for pressing. Do some searching and reading here on wheel bearings, you'll find a lot of good info.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:11 PM
AbdominalSnoman

now that you say it that way, it sounds obvious. My honda would make the same noises whenever the ps fluid got low and it started to make a froth of what was left. Unfortunantly there was no quick fix. It was leaking out of the rack and pinion unit, but the mechanic told me that I could buy one hell of a lot of ps fluid for the $600+ it would cost to fix it, and to just keep running it like it is. So I did for about 50,000 miles
Old 12-10-2002, 01:27 PM
Not as old as Randy

Yup, a guy could make a good living from rebuilding Honda p/s racks - they all leak eventually. Downside is if the fluid collects in the rack boots and finally gushes out when the car is hot you risk a car fire.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Downside is if the fluid collects in the rack boots and finally gushes out when the car is hot you risk a car fire.

Mmmmmm - flaming rack of Civic!!! Anyone else hungry???

Todd