Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX > Political Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2006, 06:12 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dromano
I think the key to watching and listening to news souces is to develope an experience data base to be able to filter the fluff from the real info...
I have to fully agree with that.

(Translation: Post-ho' saying "Me Too!" Post count +1 to 2,665)

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 05-25-2006, 06:19 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Prior to Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dromano
It's what they talk about, not how they talk about it. The fact that it being aired is a form of spin or bias...
But what is even more damning is the news that is NOT reported at all as was the case prior to FOX. That is controlling the news in the worst possible sense. At least on Fox you get both sides--for the 100th time.

How many of you heard about the scandal in the UK of Kerry with a 24 year old during his run for office? None, probably unless you read the British press. At the same time the Democrats were attacking Bush's character?????
Are you kidding me????

Just read the liberal press headlines and then read the story in it entirety. Frequently VERY misleading if it supports their editorial philosophy. And no matter how you liberals try to deny it--the press (particularly printed) is OVERWHELMINGLY liberal.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-25-2006, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
But what is even more damning is the news that is NOT reported at all as was the case prior to FOX. That is controlling the news in the worst possible sense. At least on Fox you get both sides--for the 100th time.

How many of you heard about the scandal in the UK of Kerry with a 24 year old during his run for office? None, probably unless you read the British press. At the same time the Democrats were attacking Bush's character?????
Are you kidding me????

Just read the liberal press headlines and then read the story in it entirety. Frequently VERY misleading if it supports their editorial philosophy. And no matter how you liberals try to deny it--the press (particularly printed) is OVERWHELMINGLY liberal.

Lee
I still don't get this liberal media hype. If the vast majority is printing the same story, then ...... that must be the story. It isn't leaning either way.

If 2 news outlets are printing a story, and the other 100,000 outlets aren't, then chances are, that story is bogus.

The election has been over for 2 years, and this is the first I've heard of Kerry with a 24 year old. No one reported it that I know of. I guess that goes with logic. I doubt if Kerry could get an 80 year old goat to sleep with him. He's got that certain Herman Munster appeal.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 05-25-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
At least on Fox you get both sides--for the 100th time.

Lee
Lee, I somehow missed this statement the first time I read it.

This statement deserves a reply, and the reply was eloquently stated by Stephen Colbert during the President's Correspondents dinner.

Quote: "Both sides: The president's side, and the Vice President's side."

Old 05-25-2006, 06:52 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX
Better Than That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
Lee, I somehow missed this statement the first time I read it.

This statement deserves a reply, and the reply was eloquently stated by Stephen Colbert during the President's Correspondents dinner.

Quote: "Both sides: The president's side, and the Vice President's side."
That makes for a funny liberal line, but you know it is not even close to the truth. Some of the most far left liberals are invited to provide there side at the same time as the conservative. Hillary has a standing invitation to present her side on any issue she desires as do most far left liberals. Most will not dare show up.

On the other networks there is rarely ANY effort at balanced reporting. You are extremely naive too if you think that a news story is simply a news story and is reported purely as "news" with no editorializing. Like I have said before, I have seen the liberal press at work in Vietnam where they would question 7 or 8 different soldiers until they found the one that was saying what they wanted to report. This should have been reported as 1 out of 8 soldiers have this opinion, but was in fact reported as the only opinion of soldiers in the field. Was it news about the one soldiers ideas---yes---was it slanted reporting. You bet your a-- it was slanted reporting and that is what happened most frequently prior to Fox.

That is why the Liberals are so set against Fox---fair reporting is being done for the first time in many many years.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by lhopp77; 05-25-2006 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:04 PM

I don't know about "liberals", but the democratic party started boycotting Fox years ago due to the unprofessional behaviour of O'Really, and Handmeidiocy over time. All the "turn off his mike!!" crap.

They don't boycott any other news organizations. Just that one.

Fox! Where we turn news into a terrorist activity.

Old 06-03-2006, 01:53 AM

GOSH lhopp77, I THOUGHT PRAVDA WAS YOUR PREFERRED NEWS SOURCE...

So I brought you this:

Headline torn from the front page of today's (060206) Pravda:

Who will teach the White House some core values?
"God take revenge on the Americans and those who brought them here. They have no regard for our lives.'' Those are the heart wrenching words of a brother whose sister has just been gunned down by trigger-happy young Marines in Samara, while she was racing towards her maternity hospital. For how many people is he speaking? Millions? Billions?

That's a damned good question:
"For how many people is he speaking? Millions? Billions?" While you guys are debating our crappy domestic news, how about what the rest of the world thinks/writes? Is Pravda representative? Are Americans considered the A-holes of the Earth by most of the rest of the planet?

Apparently our Fearless Leader, George "I'm a uniter, not a divider" BUSH has SUCCEEDED AT SOMETHING!...uniting most of the rest of the planet against us!
You're off the hook Lee, I found one thing he's done well...
WGJ

Last edited by WGJ; 06-03-2006 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGJ
So I brought you this:

Headline torn from the front page of today's (060206) Pravda:

Who will teach the White House some core values?
"God take revenge on the Americans and those who brought them here. They have no regard for our lives.'' Those are the heart wrenching words of a brother whose sister has just been gunned down by trigger-happy young Marines in Samara, while she was racing towards her maternity hospital. For how many people is he speaking? Millions? Billions?

That's a damned good question:
"For how many people is he speaking? Millions? Billions?" While you guys are debating our crappy domestic news, how about what the rest of the world thinks/writes? Is Pravda representative? Are Americans considered the A-holes of the Earth by most of the rest of the planet?

Apparently our Fearless Leader, George "I'm a uniter, not a divider" BUSH has SUCCEDED AT SOMETHING!...uniting most of the rest of the planet against us!
You're off the hook Lee, I found one thing he's done well...
WGJ
You're right, and personally I'm hearing more and more of this "Take revenge on America." This administration has buried us with terrorism for generations to come. Taking the terrorism to the enemy my rear... They have developed more terrorists in the last 3 years than has existed in the world over the last 30.

Old 06-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX
So Right-----NOT

You guys are soooo very right-----NOT . It is because of Bush that there was the current plot in Canada to blow up the intelligence headquarters.

GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEADS---we are fighting the terrorists overseas to keep from fighting them here. Canada hs been very helpful and sympathic to the Muslims terrorists and where did it get them---IT JUST MADE IT EASIER TO TARGET THEM.

Look at the problems with the Muslim radicals in Europe in countries that are not friendly to the US and that have not supported the US war on terrorism.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 06-04-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Canada hs been very helpful and sympathic to the Muslims terrorists and where did it get them---IT JUST MADE IT EASIER TO TARGET THEM.

Lee
Canada has been "Helpful" and "Sympathetic" to Muslim terrorists?

Well....... This should turn out interesting.

OK, Let's start with a US citizen rebuttal, and not touch the "Helpful and Sympathetic" part. Leave that to the Canucks...

Canada tried something wild, crazy, and different on this. Outrageous thought, and new age thinking as it is, they "PREVENTED" the attack prior to it occurring through their normal constitutional guidelines.

The Bush Administration has observed this and are studying the idea, but so far, I think they feel it may be too radical of an idea to institute in the states, without bugging their citizens.

Old 06-04-2006, 11:58 AM

Quote:

GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEADS---we are fighting the terrorists overseas to keep from fighting them here.
Lee
And second point. Burning down your neighbor's tree to keep from leaves falling in your yard is illegal and immoral. The whole neighborhood will hold a grudge against you, and pay you back once you get out of jail. If.... your house is still there when you get out of jail. It's an extremely small world in today's times.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:27 PM

As Usual You're Clueless...

the subject of the thread is the media and world opinion...what the hell does your tangent into Canada and where we're fighting have to do with media/ world opinion?

GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD...your off track AGAIN!
WGJ
Old 06-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Bipa

Pass the popcorn Robert, this movie is labelled a light comedy but it runs a little long

Quote:
You guys are soooo very right-----NOT . It is because of Bush that there was the current plot in Canada to blow up the intelligence headquarters.
Because of Bush? You could actually be correct with that one!

intelligence headquarters? FACT: no targets confirmed!

"The suspects were allegedly planning to launch attacks in southern Ontario, but officials would not specify targets."
RCMP behind bomb material
Toronto Star, June 4, 2006
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=968793972154

"While ruling out the TTC, police refused to identify the actual targets of the alleged terrorists."
[ed.note: TTC = Toronto Transit Commission - public transit]
TTC was not a target:' RCMP
Toronto Star, June 4, 2006
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1149329604479

"Commissioner McDonell alleged that the suspects were part of a homegrown terror cell intent on launching attacks against targets in Southern Ontario.
Media reports Saturday alleged that the suspects engaged in terror training camps north of Toronto. It was further alleged that the group was plotting to attack targets in Toronto, including the headquarters of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service.
Mr. Thomson said the list of possible targets for such terrorist measures is almost without limit in a large, urban centre like Toronto. But he added that terrorists usually pinpoint their targets before collecting their weapons."
Massive terror attack averted: RCMP
Globe and Mail
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...0603_3/BNStory
[ed. note: CSIS intelligence HQ is in Ottawa, not Toronto]

"While the intended target is unclear, the plan was to detonate an explosive device in Ontario, a source who asked not to be named told Canadian Press."
Terrorism raids sweep Toronto
Globe and Mail
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...0603_2/BNStory

"Police declined to identify the intended targets because the investigation is ongoing but said they were all in southern Ontario and did not include the Toronto transit system, as some media outlets had reported."
National Post
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/n...d5d6cc&k=46849

Quote:
GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEADS---we are fighting the terrorists overseas to keep from fighting them here. Canada hs been very helpful and sympathic to the Muslims terrorists and where did it get them---IT JUST MADE IT EASIER TO TARGET THEM.
Hmmm.... yes, I see your point. Canada has had way too many terrorist attacks in the last 10 years or so, while the USA has had barely any. If the number of attacks is any indication of sympathy towards terrorism, then there's a problem with logic here. Nevermind...on to my main point.

Since you prefer US sources, let's go with something a bit more official than just a news story:

Interview on Face the Nation with Bob Schieffer and Mike Duffy
Secretary Condoleezza Rice
Washington, DC
June 4, 2006

QUESTION: Madame Secretary, Friday night in the suburbs of Toronto, as you now know, the Canadian police arrested 17 people on suspicion of terrorism. They had three times the amount of explosives that was used to blow up the federal building in Oklahoma City. They apparently had some sort of contact with two Americans from Georgia. What can you tell us about this?

SECRETARY RICE: Well, first of all, it's obviously a very great success for the Canadian counterterrorism efforts, which we know have been very robust. Really since September 11th, Canada has been very active in the war on terror. We have very good cooperation. I don't think we know very much more about it and we certainly don't believe that there's any link to the United States, but obviously we will follow up. And we have excellent counterterrorism cooperation; I think we will get whatever information we need. But it's obviously a great success for the Canadians. They're to be congratulated for it.

QUESTION: Well, it sounds as if they were planning to blow up some of the national institutions in Canada, or at least that seemed to be the plan. We know they had contact with two men who have been arrested on terrorism suspicion in this country from Georgia. One of them was a Georgia Tech student, I believe. Do we have any indication that they were trying to plan some sort of an attack on anything in this country?

SECRETARY RICE: Well, we don't have any indication, but let me just say obviously this is an ongoing operation, ongoing investigation. I think it's best not to talk about whatever details there may be. But we have excellent counterterrorism cooperation with Canada and I'm quite certain that if there is any further information to be passed, that it will be.

http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2006/67505.htm

Quote:
Look at the problems with the Muslim radicals in Europe in countries that are not friendly to the US and that have not supported the US war on terrorism.
Yes, you're absolutely correct! Europe is having huge problems in trying to ban headscarves and other religious symbols from public institutions such as schools. Definitely as a direct result of not whole-heartedly joining the US in its outright war on terror. But...umm...wait a sec.... European nations ARE closely cooperating with US security and intelligence agencies.

Lee, name one European country that ISN'T cooperating with the US either by sending troops or using HUMINT or sharing info through INTERPOL or other ways. And I'll give you an example where that country did cooperate. Up to the challenge?
Old 06-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX
Rocket Scientists??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
Canada tried something wild, crazy, and different on this. Outrageous thought, and new age thinking as it is, they "PREVENTED" the attack prior to it occurring through their normal constitutional guidelines.

The Bush Administration has observed this and are studying the idea, but so far, I think they feel it may be too radical of an idea to institute in the states, without bugging their citizens.
It hardly takes a rocket scientist to realize something is wrong when someone is stockpiling tons of explosive fertilizer--like 3 times what was used in the OKC bombing. Even south Alabama, bubba sheriff could figure that one out. Success is great, but hardly a big job of figuring out something was going on.

Besides we do not know all of the details. Canada may have been tipped off about the whole thing by the US after the Georgia connection thing.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by lhopp77; 06-04-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipa
Lee, name one European country that ISN'T cooperating with the US either by sending troops or using HUMINT or sharing info through INTERPOL or other ways. And I'll give you an example where that country did cooperate. Up to the challenge?
I have not problem with this. It is very true that the US intelligence and law enforcement agencies have very good relations with European like agencies and exchange information regularly. But, a war such as this is a propaganda war as well as an actual fighting war. It is in the verbal support or lack thereof side that European governments are lacking and provide moral support to the terrorists.

A major problem with Canada is there lax immigration laws/enforcement that allows many terrorists and terrorist sympathizers to enter enabling easy access to the US. While are borders "leak" badly, we at least screen personnel entering through normal transportation means.

And the NSA foreign/domestic connection wiretapping damn sure goes a ways in keeping an eye on terrorists and people in the US that have a relationship with them. I am very happy that such a program is in force.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE