Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-07-2018, 09:38 AM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX
Re: Small Car Headlight Kit

Ahhhh, ok, I see where we got off track.

My retrofit will be into the glass-lenses of the German headlamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
My stock lens is full of internal micro-cracks and hazes like crazy. I hear you about the small car lens but at least that is easily replaceable. And, on a related note, when I replace it, I am going to consider adding lenticular film to the inside of the replacement lens. Such things exist and are easy to apply. I suppose I could do that right out of the gate but the headlights I purchased already had the lens put on the old assembly and so I am looking for a solution that doesn't require replacing the lens too.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:05 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoobCrazy View Post
The lens in the small car kit is not going to stand up to the elements long term, another knock against it. If I were going to do it properly, I'd open the lamp assembly, retrofit whatever lamps I wanted into the housing.

THEN I would polish the Fresnel out of the inside of the OEM lens and stick it all back together.
That is exactly what I thought too, I did this years ago,

But it wasn't without its price.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:58 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Update

I gave up on the headlights I bought with the small car lenses due to just too many issues with seized screws and bent adjustment thingies. I got a pair of stock lenses from a junkyard car that were in decent shape and just a little hazy. I polished them to get the haze out and clear coated them. I screwed up the clear coat so I sanded them down again and tried again. Screwed it up again. I suck at painting. I put some extra coats with the thought that, maybe I could just buff out the bumps and snakeskin imperfections. It took a long time but I finally got them looking decent and I am pretty sure I didn't go through the entire clear coat layer. I finished them off with the best HIR bulbs I could find. Now I am trying to get the aim right. I think I am close.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 05-23-2018, 06:46 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Update
Now I am trying to get the aim right. I think I am close.
After I did mine I went to an alignment shop I use. The lift they have is perfectly level. Between jobs they let me drive onto the lift and adjust the levels on the lights to dead centre. Worked great & only took about 5 min. total.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.