Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-23-2002, 08:11 AM
UStifosi

How much $$$ to replace a valve cover gasket?

I took it into the Suby dealer yesterday after I noticed it was consistently leaving a puddle about the size of a quarter. The dealer said a valve cover gasket is leaking. The dealer wants $480 which includes parts and labor. The labor rate is $72/hour. Does this price sound right? How many hours of labor do you think it will take? The gasket itself is less than $50, right?
Old 05-23-2002, 08:55 AM
Green1995SVX

That sounds a little steep to me... Is there a shop near you other than the dealer that specializes in Subarus or works on SVX's regularly? There is a place here in PA that I go to that does SVX's regularly, and only services subarus. THey are consistently 2/3 the price of the dealer. Sometimes even less.

-Mike
Old 05-23-2002, 09:29 AM
UStifosi

I have some other options. I just wanted to get a feel for the local dealer as I have yet to meet them. As you know this car rather well...I had them look at the passenger side fog light which had a grounding problem and they mentioned the right front had been hit at some point. They did say the car was in great shape overall.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
im intrested in this post also i need to do mine some time .its leaking but nothing major, how much should it be. is there anything else that should be done while doing the gaskets maybe spark plugs and all

normally i could do this my self but svx are not made to work on for some reason, i can rebuild enignes and tranny but svx are a hassel,
Old 05-23-2002, 10:54 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Parts . OEM Part . Price

Valve Cover Gasket
. Gasket
. .
. . No. 1
. . .
. . . 17 - Right . 13270AA031 . $20.95

. . .
. . . 17 - Left . 13272AA031 . $20.95

. .
. . No. 2
. . .
. . . 17 - Right . 13294AA020 . $7.95

. . .
. . . 17 - Left . 13293AA011 . $7.95

. .
. . No. 3
. . .
. . . 17 - Right . 13294AA030 . $7.95

. . .
. . . 17 - Left . 13293AA020 . $7.95

Labor . SkillLevel . Warr. . Std.

Valve Cover Gasket
. Replace
. .
. . One Bank . B . 0.8 . 1.1

. .
. . Both Banks . B . 1.5 . 2.1
Old 05-23-2002, 11:05 AM
UStifosi

Thanks for the info, Beav. I just contacted my 2nd option shop and they (or there computer) list it as 1.4 hr's labor per side. So with that in mind I could get both sides done parts/labor for around $275 it appears at $68/hr.

interesting...hmmmmm
Old 05-23-2002, 11:13 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
A lot of places (esp. drealers) are operating on 'what the market will bear' pricing. Too much of it going on in all sectors as far as I'm concerned. Too many people just say "duh...O.K." and roll over.
Old 05-23-2002, 05:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
FYI: If you can replace the plugs yourself, then you can probably do the valve cover gaskets yourself too. I did the driver's side on mine and there wasn't any pain or special tools involved. Though I would order a few of those bushings that the valve cover bolts go through. The rubber on a few of mine had deterioriated and probably don't hold the cover on as tight. It took longer than 1.4hr for me, but it was also my first time and I was extra careful.

KuoH
Old 05-23-2002, 05:37 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I just got my package from subaruparts.com today with valve cover gaskets, all the grommets, and a couple more gaskets that are smaller under the valve covers. Any advice/ pitfalls on installing these?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-23-2002, 07:32 PM
punisher

Hey Mike,

Where's that shop you're talkin about?
Old 05-23-2002, 08:59 PM

Make sure the engine is stone cold and drive it up on a ramp or jack it up. You might also want to get one of those 10mm (or is it 12mm?) flat ratcheting wrenches. The bolts at the bottom rear are hard to get to because of the narrow space and although you can get a socket wrench in there, once you start to loosen the bolt, you won't be able to get the socket to release to back out the bolt the rest of the way. Very long handled open ended wrenches also come in handy for this.

If you move the cover slightly aft, you should be able to clear the cam gears in the front with minimal wiggling and contact. No prying of the engine block was necessary for me to remove or reinstall the driver side cover. Once you have the cover off, clean it thoroughly, but carefuly, especially in the grooves where the new seals go. Be careful of the oil filler neck and anything else that might be breakable when handling the cover. I didn't do the passenger side seals as there was no leak at the time. Oh, and the spark plug wire clips will most likely be broken, so If you want to retain the neat and organized look of the wires, you should order replacements before removing the cover, as you'll have to dig out the stubs of the old clips from the cover.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
I just got my package from subaruparts.com today with valve cover gaskets, all the grommets, and a couple more gaskets that are smaller under the valve covers. Any advice/ pitfalls on installing these?
Old 05-24-2002, 06:55 AM
UStifosi

Does it make sense to go for new spark plugs when doing this job? Is there any advantage while the covers are off?
Old 06-23-2002, 06:16 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I replaced the valve cover gaskets on both sides today. It was fairly easy, but the driver side took alot of patience to wiggle the cover out of there once the bolts were all removed. It was also kind of hard to get the cover back on without knocking the new gasket out of there. The passenger side was easy. I removed the battery and the air filter cover to gain access as well as a small plastic cover by the tie rods on each side to get to the bottom rear bolt holding the cover on.
You will need 20 of the washers - for some reason subaruparts only billed for and sent 16 when I clicked the order for both sides.

I didn't do spark plugs but they would be alot easier to do with the covers off due to the added clearance. Now I am thinking I should have at least pulled them and took a look at them while I had everything apart.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-23-2002, 07:53 PM

When I did my driver side seals, I took out the plugs first and didn't have much trouble getting the cover out or back on with the seals. Perhaps not having the plugs in the way helped?

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
I replaced the valve cover gaskets on both sides today. It was fairly easy, but the driver side took alot of patience to wiggle the cover out of there once the bolts were all removed. It was also kind of hard to get the cover back on without knocking the new gasket out of there.