How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-30-2004, 04:55 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
To answer some questions...

I always lock my doors as a force of habit and I have to assume that I did the same the night it was stolen. I can't imagine the odds of someone looking for a joy ride the one time I forget to lock it. There was no glass in the driveway so I don't know what to think. It is the main question that is haunting me about this whole theft.

My security system is always armed and I always lock it with the remote when I remove my briefcase from the passenger side upon arriving home. But yes...I will be investing in a better security system in my next vehicle or this one if I get it back.

It's been over 48 hours now. If it was joy-riders I would think the car would have turned up by now abandoned on a highway or back road. I only had a couple gallons of fuel in the tank and I keep hoping they ran out of gas somewhere. I had just put $5 of gas in it that day too. Keep thinking that if I had waited until morning they would have barely got out of the neighborhood with it as it had been almost running on fumes before I put gas in it.

My son's finger was fractured according to hospital x-rays. He goes to an orthopedic doctor today for further investigation and treatment. Will likely end up with a splint for a couple weeks. He will be fine. No basketball for a few weeks. He will have to suffer with spending his time on his new GameCube he got for Christmas. Finger has not kept him off it so far.

Thanks for all the condolances and well wishes. It means a lot to me right now. I am already preparing myself for the worse and find myself looking in all the used car lots for a replacement as I drive past them. Might be tough to find another SVX on short notice as I need another vehicle ASAP. Am eying up other cars as potentials but it's hard to compare other cars to the SVX when considering my budget. For the money, the SVX is hard to beat in the used car market. If I do get another one it will have to be much better than my current one. I made that purchase a little too quickly without knowing as much about the SVX as I do now.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:15 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I'm sorry to hear that Johnny . I always thought that the stock alarm system was good.

The only bad thing about it is that I'm pretty certain that opening the hood doesn't trigger the alarm. It sounds to me like it was a pro but not sure. It had to be someone who knew something about an SVX. If they used a glass cutter and then stuck their hand in to open the hood they could easily disconnect the horn to get into the car because then the alarm would be rendered useless.

I hope you get your car back man and find out who's doing it. I actually hope you're in town and you see some random dude getting out of YOUR svx in a parking lot so you can beat the crap out of him.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 12-30-2004, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow
Just wondering.. do you have the vin number? if they try to sell it for parts, i believe the vin number would be on the block, and some other parts... might be able to catch the theives this way?
There are also "tamper-evident" VIN labels inside the hood, fenders, quarter panels, and certainly elsewhere. If these have been obliterated, a prospective buyer would have to suspect the part is hot. (Whether or not that would make any difference is another matter.)

Condolences, Johnny.

dcb
Old 12-30-2004, 09:26 AM
justiceSVX

I know this is a long shot... but there's always that off chance that you're just the victim of one of those 'steal the car from the dude, mod the crap out of it with big turbos and give it back a few days later' shows.

If not... and you really need a daily driver, look for a used but dirty honda product. Drive it until you find a nice SVX... you know they're worth it. Then detail the honda and sell it for more than you bought it for.

G'luck, hope things turn out okay!
Old 12-30-2004, 10:15 AM

that fockign sucks john! any leads? who do we have to kill? i called Dan to keep an eye out! someone has to freaking die!

i hope your son's finger and your wife's car is okay

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:24 AM
Certified Porschephile

I'm keeping an eye out Johnny. I passed the word among the troops. Sad part is most of the young guys didn't know what a SVX was or looked like.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:33 AM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
bad deal.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 12-30-2004, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by justiceSVX
I know this is a long shot... but there's always that off chance that you're just the victim of one of those 'steal the car from the dude, mod the crap out of it with big turbos and give it back a few days later' shows.

If not... and you really need a daily driver, look for a used but dirty honda product. Drive it until you find a nice SVX... you know they're worth it. Then detail the honda and sell it for more than you bought it for.

G'luck, hope things turn out okay!
LOL... Already thought of that. The wife assures me that this is not the case. She was going to submit my car to "Pimp My Ride" but never got around to it. She knows how distressed I am and would not leave me in my current state if it was a scam.

Old 12-30-2004, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TE1221
I hope you get your car back man and find out who's doing it. I actually hope you're in town and you see some random dude getting out of YOUR svx in a parking lot so you can beat the crap out of him.
Dare to dream...dare to dream.

Old 12-30-2004, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
I'm keeping an eye out Johnny. I passed the word among the troops. Sad part is most of the young guys didn't know what a SVX was or looked like.
Thanks, Dan! From your experience, how long does it take for a car to turn up if was just joy riders that stole it? A guy I work with had a car stolen and it took 45 days for it to turn up at a chop-shop in Florida. I figure if it was joy riders it would have turned up by now on the side of the road somewhere.

Old 12-30-2004, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
oh and you didn't show them baby pics?

glad someone could try to help you good luck johnny, keep us posted

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:22 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
I'm sorry for your loss, I couldn't imagine how it feels. I'll keep an eye out. Did you look in your neighborhood, like near the wooded areas, some joy riders tend to abandon thier quests in empty fields and such. Hopefully they didn't want to put the AWD to the test in some off-roading.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 12-30-2004, 12:02 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I'm very sorry and even more pi$$ed to hear of this, Johnny. OK we'll be looking for a clean 92 black, stock, w/cloth interior. Post the last eight of your VIN, so you can have quicker responce. I'd check out the local street racers, maybe they've seen or heard something. Good Luck.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 12-30-2004, 12:16 PM

Maybe somebody already mentioned this, but it couldn't hurt to be on the lookout for suspicious-looking goods offered for sale by someone in your vicinity on eBay.

dcb
Old 12-30-2004, 12:36 PM
Certified Porschephile

Most stolens end up recovered in 48-72 hours. Bad news is most off them are trashed, or worse, burned. A SVX isn't a sought after vehicle, like a Honda, so there is no need to steal one for a chop. Good Luck Johhny.