Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-14-2004, 06:48 AM

What's this white stuff?

For those of you who upon mention of Georgia envision steamy days spent waving paper fans while sipping mint juleps beneath moss-draped oaks, it was 25 degrees and snowing at my place this morning. Flurries, anyway. Well, okay, I saw some flakes.

There's just enough of a dusting on the roads to make folks ride the brake at 20 MPH with a two-fisted death-grip on the wheel. Much more and the schools will close, and there'll be a run on bread and milk and kerosene.

dcb

Edit: My apology to the mods for not thinking to post this under "Not Exactly SVX"

Last edited by dcarrb; 12-14-2004 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:25 AM
red95svx

I used to work at an auto parts store that was in a shopping plaza. At the first mention of snowfall (regardless of whether it was actually snowing at the moment or not) the grocery store would have a mad rush of people. I remember a few times the store was so busy because of our impending "doom" that they had actually run out of shopping carts. Every cart was being used. Isn't that absurd?? I would walk to the store on my lunch break and fight my way through a maze of people who thought the world was ending. IT'S ONLY SNOW!!! We have salt, we have sand, we have plow trucks that run 24 hours a day. Even when we got a lot of snow, 99% of the time the roads were perfectly driveable the next day!!! It's silly how people panic.

Dave
Old 12-14-2004, 07:57 AM

I grew-up in Georgia and was really anxious about how I'd manage driving my first winter in Vermont. With three years' incident-free snow experience under my belt, you might think I'd not give a second thought to winter driving back down here. But no, I hate driving in the snow. It's not the weather, though; it's the way everybody else freaks-out.

dcb
Old 12-14-2004, 08:20 AM
red95svx

Same here. I don't mind the snow, I just hate the idiots who do 80 on the highway with 6 inches of snow on the ground and near white out conditions. They think that their monster SUV, being bigger than my apartment and costing 50K plus, is not subject to the same laws of physics that "regular" cars are subject to and therefore can speed along fat dumb and happy.

Dave
Old 12-14-2004, 08:26 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Been snowing solid for the past two days here
Gotta love that lake effect! The snow is very slick and wet. And I have yet to put on my snow tires that are 90 miles away in my parents basement

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 12-14-2004, 09:37 AM
Hater

had my snow tires and winter wheels on last week - i timed it right! we're getting dumped on today, and i was already out n' about, doing some parking lot drifting.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 12-14-2004, 02:58 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I'm also glad I put the winters on when I did. I love the added control and the confidence boost of knowing I can stop or avoid if I need to. I just wish I could convince everyone else the benefits.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:29 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
I'm also glad I put the winters on when I did. I love the added control and the confidence boost of knowing I can stop or avoid if I need to. I just wish I could convince everyone else the benefits.
I love that whenever I hit the brakes at all the abs comes on with my summer tires.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 12-16-2004, 09:04 AM

yikes!

Sunday's Weather Channel (online) forecast for my town:

Snow/wind, high 34, low 11.

The National Weather Service has already issued an advisory that the mountains here may have... get this... up to ONE INCH of snow. I'd better make a gas & groceries run at lunchtime today.

Eleven degrees is kinda chilly for here.

dcb
Old 12-16-2004, 02:27 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
How's this:

We are expecting to see -6°F tonight and 34°F tomorrow!
Old 12-16-2004, 02:57 PM

I recall strings of minus-10 mornings when I lived in Vermont; my landlady remarking about how I never wore a hood or cap. Now I wonder how in the world I could ever stand such cold.

dcb
Old 12-16-2004, 03:05 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb
I recall strings of minus-10 mornings when I lived in Vermont; my landlady remarking about how I never wore a hood or cap. Now I wonder how in the world I could ever stand such cold.

dcb

I lived in NH for a spell and I recall a few days of negative temperatures. Ever have snot freeze inside your nostrils within minutes of stepping outside? That's when you know it's cold

Dave