IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Upcoming Meets
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2001, 03:10 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Who? Who? (we have lots of owls)

<And anudder thing; we doan like youse knocking our nephew Lorenzo>

Lorenzo? Ron, is your middle name Lorenzo?

Yeah, we's gots Dons up heres in de hills; youse gots to undastand dat many of da boys daddys, granddaddys, and great granddaddys come ova here fum da old country to dig coal. Families... they is TIGHT down here, relatively speaking. Theys sometimes gets accused of marrin' um! But it aint like the big city down here...like EVERYBODY is armed! Youse can't muscle somebody, 'cause day can muscles RIGHT BACK! And de firearms down here....UNREAL. Now I knows where all da stuff went after Nam and de Gulf War. Dez kids down here, use like BAZOOKAS an stuff ta go deer huntin! I asked dis kid...I says, "Hey kid! Whats with da missle tube?" He saz ta me...""cause I cun kill um and dress um with one shot!"... Dez guys plays for keeps. Ya look at someones sista CROSSEYED, and ya end up in da CROSSHAIRS! It aint like the city boyz....dez kids down here REALLY know dare stuff. I sees this kid take aim on dis buck dear last year...an after he shoots and misses, I say..."Hey young man. Threes things. One...its outa season. Twos....its 300 yards away. Threes...You missed! He looks at me for a second, spit a wad of toe-backy at his feet an says..."Twrnt tryin to kill the deer. He'd be a fine trophy fer later on. But I just can't stands to see dat ole horsefly a 'botherin him."

---------------

Looking forward to meeting you Larry, and the beautiful Naviguesser, no matter where in Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia we decide to hunker down.
I promise to come unarmed... Don (an offer ya can't refuse)
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Last edited by SVXphile; 08-02-2001 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2001, 08:05 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool Re: Re: (arms crossed...foot tapping....head shaking)

Quote:
Originally posted by svxter
[B]

Actually, Deliverance was set on the Chatahooche River (if I remember correctly), in northern Georgia.
Firstly, thank you Don for giving us the true meaning of, "Tastes great - Less filling, by gum!"
Bill, when I was on the return leg of my Houston trip, I was driving north from Birmingham, Al to Asheville, NC. Can't remember the route number, but I saw a sign that read " Scenic overlook at Tallula Falls (Northern Georgia). I knew nothing about this place, except I needed something scenic after a zillion miles of interstates. About a mile off route ?, I pulled over & looked down at this gorge that must be Grand Canyon East. I found out several interesting things about this gorge, one of which was that The Great Wallenda walked a wire across this baby about 30 years ago, and secondly, a number of Deliverance scenes were filmed here.
I was in awe of the history I had stumbled upon, and a familiar line from that film kept recurring in my thoughts - "Let's see how fast you can drop that tranny". Tsu.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 08-08-2001, 07:07 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Seein da big city

<Call me the next time youse get up to da city and we'll show you a real good time>

Oh yeah...sure. A REAL good time....gonna fix me up with some rival mobster's honey?

Concrete footwear just ain't my style! Don

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 08-08-2001, 07:10 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Other possibilities

Earth to Jerry...come in please. In addition to Harpers Ferry, what would you think about Blackwater Falls? Any other ideas perchance? (learned that word from Wallace and Gromit) Don

Old 08-09-2001, 09:03 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Re: Other possibilities

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
Earth to Jerry...come in please. In addition to Harpers Ferry, what would you think about Blackwater Falls? Any other ideas perchance? (learned that word from Wallace and Gromit) Don
Don - In what part of your great state is Blackwater Falls?
The flash flood part? Hmmmm? Ron.

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
Old 08-09-2001, 07:49 PM
Headed to Texas...

Re: Other possibilities

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile

Don, Blackwater Falls would be great. It's been a personal favorite of mine for a long time. Absolutely stunning scenery, excellent driving roads . . . I would give it a thumbs-up.

BTW, sounds like Mr. Mummert (aka Girly Man) is still suffering the effects of being stuck under the Possums in the back of that there pick-up . . .

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 08-09-2001, 08:09 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Floods and Falls

Well I had just typed a rather large message about our recent floods when my computer locked up and I lost it all. I'm too tired to go back and retype, so I'll just hit the details. Areas of the state were hit by no less than three major periods of flooding in July, the worst being on the 8th. A chain of storms stalled over the state and dropped over 10 inches of rain in just a few hours. Since most people live near streams and rivers, you can imagine the results. Several communities were badly damaged and the town of Mullens practically ceased to exist. I saw just some of the destruction myself, and it is humbling and heartbreaking since many people were retired and on fixed incomes and lost everything. I saw many huge landslides and many roads just ceased to exist.The outpouring of local support, was amazing, with many locations for donations of food, clothes, cleaning supplies, pet food...the list went on and on.The Red Cross and National Guard have become fixtures in our area over the last month. The stories of bravery and tragedy have filled our papers during this time.
Blackwater Falls is located where Maryland makes its deepest stab into the state, near the bottom hinge of the eastern panhandle. It is near US 50 and Canaan (Ka-nane) Valley ski resort, Seneca Rocks and two large caverns. I am guessing that it is about 90 miles WEST of Martinsburg. Don

Old 08-09-2001, 09:37 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Lightbulb

Don - At an attempt at seriousness, something that I regularly avoid, I want you to know that my light comments upon the tragic events that seem to occur all too often to the poor folks of WVA, are not intended as snide city slicker BS. I was once displaced by a house fire that screwed up my life for about a year, and know first hand of the stress & anguish that people can suffer as a result of a "natural" disaster. It may be too late, but I would welcome the opportunity to contribute something (clothing, a check, etc.), to any relief effort that may still be in effect for the displaced families. Perhaps we could do this as SVXers, if we manage to get a sizeable group together in October. Any ideas? Ron.

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
Old 08-10-2001, 09:48 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Seriously speaking

No, I didn't take it that way Ron. It's just I don't believe the word really got out very well about what happened to us here last month. Something similar just happened in Tennessee, and it isn't being covered very well either. I would think a donation to the Red Cross, perhaps earmarked for flood victims, would be a good way to go. They can always use some money, and we are just now getting into hurricane season too! Fires, flood, tornadoes, earthquakes....someone somewhere is usually hurting, so help from the Red Cross is always needed. Thanks! Don

Old 08-12-2001, 08:06 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Decisions...decisions....

Not that Harpers Ferry is dead as a possibility, but here is the Blackwater Falls website to explore. I will edit this post as I find other things of interest, so keep checking back.... Don

http://www.blackwaterfalls.com/

Old 08-12-2001, 08:27 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
This is sounding like more fun all the time - and we thought we enjoyed ourselves at Snowshoe! Sign me up, of course,

Jerry, are you planning a dry run to scope things out this month? I could meet you there. I haven't been to Harper's Ferry in a decade - I think I could still find it!

BTW, looks like I just might get my better half to go with me this time - and maybe even the "Maria".

How many do you have signed up at this point?
Harry
newsvx
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 08-12-2001, 08:41 AM
Ain't it the truth?

update

The lodge and cabins at Blackwater are booked solid....the Best Western nearby has rooms but only ones with one queen bed. HOWEVER the very close Canaan Valley resort has rooms and cabins available for the weekend of Oct. 20th if we want to go there vs. Harpers Ferry. Blackwater is a VERY short drive away, that weekend would be an ASTRONOMY weekend and we could take a peek too the park folks said. There is a hicking trail between the parks, so they are neighbors to each other. Here is the website:

http://www.canaanresort.com/

FEEDBACK FOLKS, PLEASE!!!! Don

Last edited by SVXphile; 08-12-2001 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-12-2001, 10:52 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Don,
The Canaan Resort looks great and the rates are very reasonable to boot. And there is plenty to do in two days - never get it all in! And three hours from me is not bad at all.

I vote for Canaan Resort. Heck, we don't HAVE to go to Harper's Ferry with all there is in the immediate area!
Harry
newsvx
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 08-12-2001, 11:58 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Don, that's bringing things back into my range. If it's okay with everyone else, and, if there are no conflicts that come up between now and then, I could probably make Canaan Valley.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-12-2001, 03:39 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Canaan Valley

OK then, we need to get a rough head-count of those considering attending so that I can hold a block of rooms. There are also cabins available. Or everyone can do their own thing...whatever everyone would like. This would be for the Friday the 19th and Saturday the 20th assuming everyone would be leaving to go home by checkout time on Sunday.

So far we have: Jerry, Randy, Harry, and Don.

Larry? Ron? Bill? lets check in folks, I think this will be a great one!!!

Last edited by SVXphile; 08-12-2001 at 03:43 PM.