How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-10-2018, 09:38 AM

Unhappy 3rd and 4th gear are not engaging + weird smell

Hello,

Firstly I would like to apologize in advance if I make some grammar errors, as English is not my primary language and I am not using it regularly.

So I am a new owner of a 1993 SVX. It is a beautiful car it is and so quiet and comfortable :-)

Mileage is roughly 157,000 miles. No corrosion. Car is generally in very solid condition. Its from Germany.
Before I bought the car, I knew about tranny issues, yet I must say, that I didn't expect that I would be dealing with this problem so soon. I have driven only 500 miles with this car and most of it was on the way home from the dealer.

Before buying, with test drive completed, no such problem occurred.

Symptoms:

The SVX won't go into 3rd and 4th gear. In 1st gear, I must go to exactly to 3500rpm and above, in order to tranny change gear to 2nd. Also I must depress gas pedal, to make it shift. Otherwise, it would just stay in 1st gear and rev up.

In some situations, when going around 15-30mph, after braking, clutch is slipping, so I have to rev the car a bit in order to accelerate.

When I put shift lever to 3, car is acting like if it would be in neutral - after pressing gas pedal down, revs are going higher, but speed is not, it looks like clutch is slipping. I must be around 5000 rpm in order to make it accelerate.

ATF on the tranny dipstick is still red, with only bit of brown. Its definitely not burnt, or black.

When I tried self-diagnostics (power light) I got code 24, which is duty solenoid C...

The other thing that bothering me is, that when I park the car and turn engine off (maybe even with engine on, I haven't tried it yet) I detect some sort of weird smell. First I thought it was from fresh paint on exhaust system, but as I already driven over 500 miles with the car, paint should have already burnt off, right ?

It's sort of burnt plastic smell... Could it have any relationship to tranny issue ?

In case it would help anybody, to determine my problem, I can gladly elaborate on problems, or make video of drive.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer - it will be very appreciated,

With regards

Filip

Last edited by svxcess; 09-21-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:23 PM

Registered SVX
Re: 3rd and 4th gear are not engaging + weird smell

I suspect you have a failed transmission. its very unfortunate but it happens with these cars. In Europe you have the VTD transmissions but there are a few of the ACT transmissions so first you need to determine which you have. If you have the VTD a stock replacement if it can be found is usually ok if you just want to drive it reasonably.

If you can find one a 4.44 geared VTD would make a good upgrade. Or Manual swap if that is an option for you.

If you have one of the ACT transmissions (like we got in the United States) find a 4.44 geared trans don't even bother with the stock replacement.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post

Hello,

Firstly I would like to apologize in advance if I make some grammar errors, as English is not my primary language and I am not using it regularly.

So I am a new owner of a 1993 SVX. It is a beautiful car it is and so quiet and comfortable :-)

Mileage is roughly 157,000 miles. No corrosion. Car is generally in very solid condition. Its from Germany.
Before I bought the car, I knew about tranny issues, yet I must say, that I didn't expect that I would be dealing with this problem so soon. I have driven only 500 miles with this car and most of it was on the way home from the dealer.

Before buying, with test drive completed, no such problem occurred.

Symptoms:

The SVX won't go into 3rd and 4th gear. In 1st gear, I must go to exactly to 3500rpm and above, in order to tranny change gear to 2nd. Also I must depress gas pedal, to make it shift. Otherwise, it would just stay in 1st gear and rev up.

In some situations, when going around 15-30mph, after braking, clutch is slipping, so I have to rev the car a bit in order to accelerate.

When I put shift lever to 3, car is acting like if it would be in neutral - after pressing gas pedal down, revs are going higher, but speed is not, it looks like clutch is slipping. I must be around 5000 rpm in order to make it accelerate.

ATF on the tranny dipstick is still red, with only bit of brown. Its definitely not burnt, or black.

When I tried self-diagnostics (power light) I got code 24, which is duty solenoid C...

The other thing that bothering me is, that when I park the car and turn engine off (maybe even with engine on, I haven't tried it yet) I detect some sort of weird smell. First I thought it was from fresh paint on exhaust system, but as I already driven over 500 miles with the car, paint should have already burnt off, right ?

It's sort of burnt plastic smell... Could it have any relationship to tranny issue ?

In case it would help anybody, to determine my problem, I can gladly elaborate on problems, or make video of drive.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer - it will be very appreciated,

With regards

Filip

Filip,

I have referred your inquiries and this thread to my good friend, Trevor Sheffield in New Zealand. He used to be here on the network and is very familiar with the SVX transmission and always has great advice to give. So please listen to this reply from him and trust his judgement. He said:

Your transmission has defaulted to the "get you home" or “ limp” mode, because the TCU has detected a fault and that fault is very likely a lack of line pressure.

Do not replace anything or do anything, until you have the line pressure tested, as is instructed within the manuals. Do not drive the car or if you do, do not apply full power/throttle as the lack of line pressure will be causing the clutches to slip and overheat, hence the smell.

The fault could be no more than the failure of solenoid "A", which is not hugely expensive to fix and does not require the removal of the transmission.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 09-21-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:25 AM

Hello,

92 SVX: Country of origin is Germany, so i suppose it will be ACT. I would like to stay stock, tranny-wise, but definitely put all recommended mods in it.

I would be curious, which option is more durable: stock 4.44, or modded 3.54 ?

Also are there some differences across phase 1 4.44, in terms of durability, or better said: is there some preferred donor car ?

svxcess: Thank you very much for asking your friend. His answer gave me hope that it could be not that bad after all.

The thing is, that for one week a have been looking for an SVX service manual.
I have only found that 92 manual on this site, but there, i have not found any pages dealing with line pressure, including AT transmission page.

Are there instructions somewhere? I don't have a pressure meter, so i have to go to a car dealer for service, but I would like to give them exact instructions, how to do it properly.

Because from services (even Subarus) I have contacted myself, I cannot say, I could feel much of confidence, after I said them, i have an SVX

Thank you.

Best regards,

Filip

Last edited by svxcess; 09-21-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:16 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Hello,

92 SVX: Country of origin is Germany, so i suppose it will be ACT. I would like to stay stock, tranny-wise, but definitely put all recommended mods in it.

I would be curious, which option is more durable: stock 4.44, or modded 3.54 ?

Also are there some differences across phase 1 4.44, in terms of durability, or better said: is there some preferred donor car ?

svxcess: Thank you very much for asking your friend. His answer gave me hope that it could be not that bad after all.

The thing is, that for one week a have been looking for an SVX service manual.
I have only found that 92 manual on this site, but there, i have not found any pages dealing with line pressure, including AT transmission page.

Are there instructions somewhere? I don't have a pressure meter, so i have to go to a car dealer for service, but I would like to give them exact instructions, how to do it properly.

Because from services (even Subarus) I have contacted myself, I cannot say, I could feel much of confidence, after I said them, i have an SVX

Thank you.

Best regards,

Filip

Hi Filip,

Your transmission is the 4ACT, the same as the US version. The problem is the high clutch that has failed, it is used in 3rd and 4th. the problem won't be the “A” solenoid on the line pressure or it would not have 1st, 2nd, or reverse gears.

The high clutch failed mainly due to the high 3.54 final drive ratio that the US cars had, so it will last better with a lower ratio like the 4.44.

Your best choice is to do a 4.44 swap from an Outback of about 97, do a search for the 4.44 swap.

Harvey

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.

Last edited by svxcess; 10-08-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:49 AM

Hello Harvey,

1) Ouch! are you 100% sure? So, if I can shift to 1st, 2nd and R, I can safely exclude solenoid A option?

It's hard for me to believe this, as first 500 miles, the tranny was absolutely OK - nicely shifting in all 4 gears. No clutch slipping.

Only thing worth mentioning, is that it had that weird smell from the beginning - which we thought was from fresh exhaust paint. And that, if I was driving uphill, at let's say 40-60 mph, tranny was struggling a bit to shift from 3rd to 4th gear.

Back then, I had a feeling, it is mainly about getting used to and understand the car's TCU.

2) If I understand it correctly, with the 4.44 in, the car will be faster and more durable, but - and that is more important to me - will shift changes still be as gentle and imperceptible as they are in the 3.54? Also will the stock 3.54 Economy mode operate properly?

If there is one thing, the stock 3.54 is really doing ine. It is creating the illusion that you are not driving car, but piloting a plane.

Thank you,
Filip

Last edited by svxcess; 10-08-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

1. It has not been proven in this case that a clutch has completely failed, so that the first factor to check is line pressure. The transmission could very well be in “get you home/limp” mode, rather than be inoperative and that a clutch could be worn, but not worn-out.

2. The degree of clutch engagement depends on line pressure and, if the line pressure is inadequate, clutches will slip and if they keep slipping, will ultimately burn out.

3. The high clutch is subject to the highest level of torque and will be the first to become affected, but will not necessarily fail if a problem is promptly attended to.

4. The SVX is the most likely user of the transmission to suffer from the effect of insufficient line pressure, due to its relatively high gearing and overall weight.

5. IMPORTANT: Adequate line pressure depends on the proper closing of a single solenoid valve, which operates constantly at many times per second, whenever the engine is running. Therefore, this valve obviously has a limited life.

6. This component, solenoid valve “A”, must be treated as the first suspect, in the event that there is inadequate line pressure.

7. History has shown the huge numbers of SVX’s that have had transmission replacements when the problems have commenced solely due to a lack of line pressure.

8. The factory service manuals indicate that the first factor to check in respect of trouble, is the line pressure. Good follow-your-nose /common sense and a connection port to simplify this procedure has been provided accordingly.

9. I think a major factor involving the SVX transmission problems is the labelling of the shift lever as 1, 2, 3, D, rather than 1, 2, D, O/D.

Seems like this as an aspect of marketing hype, rather than good engineering... “Look, you are getting a four speed transmission.”

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Last edited by svxcess; 10-08-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:53 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Hello Harvey,

1)It's hard for me to believe this, as first 500 miles, the tranny was absolutely OK - nicely shifting in all 4 gears. No clutch slipping.

Only thing worth mentioning, is that it had that weird smell from the beginning - which we thought was from fresh exhaust paint. And that, if I was driving uphill, at let's say 40-60 mph, tranny was struggling a bit to shift from 3rd to 4th gear.

Back then, I had a feeling, it is mainly about getting used to and understand the car's TCU.

2) If I understand it correctly, with the 4.44 in, the car will be faster and more durable, but - and that is more important to me - will the shift changes still be as gentle and imperceptible as they are in the 3.54? Also will the stock 3.54 Economy mode operate properly?

If there is one thing, the stock 3.54 is really doing fine. It is creating the illusion that you are not driving car, but piloting a plane.

Thank you,
Filip
1) Ouch, are you 100% sure ? So, if I can shift to 1st, 2nd and R, I can safely exclude solenoid A option?

Yes, they all need the same solenoid and line pressure.

2) If i understand it correctly, with 4.44 in, the car will be faster and more durable, but - and that is more important to me - will the shift changes still be as gentle and imperceptible as they are in the 3.54? Also will the stock 3.54 Economy mode operate properly?

I don't know about being faster; you would have to ask somebody that has done the swap. Mine is a VTD with the lower gearing, but it will be more durable, and yes, the same TCU controls the 4.44 gearbox the same as the standard, and the Economy mode still works.

Last edited by svxcess; 10-08-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Fiiip,

You can be sure that your English is excellent.

(1) First, second and reverse ratios transmit the least torque and this is exactly why the transmission is restricted to these ratios when it goes into in limp mode as they will be less liable to clutch slip at lower line pressures. As a result the transmission can be driven in limp mode while being less liable to damage through the upper ratios slipping.

(2) With a 4.4 final drive ratio the car will have better acceleration, but will not reach as high a maximum speed under ideal conditions. Importantly you will lose the low engine speed, at high road speed, cruising feature built into the SVX and which makes it a true GT car. You indicate that you value it as GT car.

It is surely obvious that the line pressure should be checked before deciding to replace the transmission. If the engine was overheating would it not be sensible to check that the water pump is operating, before deciding to replace the radiator? Cost of a belt or pulley as opposed to the cost of a radiator.

Last edited by svxcess; 09-19-2018 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Sentence added.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:23 AM

svxcess and oab_au thank you for your answers!

You know, this starting to be interesting.

All the time, I could not believe my car being basically 90:10 FWD car...

In corners, especially in mid-range speeds, it feels like on rails. I had 00 Celica VVTI (GTS), much lighter, harsher, yet still a FWD car. It was really good in cornering, but I don't have the feeling of the SVX being an inferior car, in terms of handling/cornering - Quite the opposite.

So yesterday, after some reading here, I learned, how to determine tranny type - and this is result:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jEm...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dDN...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BKR...ew?usp=sharing

What do you guys think ?

Filip

Last edited by svxcess; 09-21-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:35 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
svxcess and oab_au thank you for your answers!

You know, this starting to be interesting.

All the time, I could not believe my car being basically 90:10 FWD car...

In corners, especially in mid-range speeds, it feels like on rails. I had 00 Celica VVTI (GTS), much lighter, harsher, yet still a FWD car. It was really good in cornering, but I don't have the feeling of the SVX being an inferior car, in terms of handling/cornering - Quite the opposite.

So yesterday, after some reading here, I learned, how to determine tranny type - and this is result:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jEm...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dDN...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BKR...ew?usp=sharing

What do you guys think ?

Filip
I would say it looks like VTD transmission. and while it is the stronger better trans in many ways the actual transmission is going to be the same, but your absolutely correct the cornering will be more rear wheel, with greatly assisted front wheel, feel

Last edited by svxcess; 09-21-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:05 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Flip you could say it is like “the good and the bad news”.

The good news is that it is a VTD box with the 3.7:1 diffs that does perform better than the 4EAT in all conditions, and won’t break the front diff.

The bad news is that you will probably have trouble finding another suitable box to replace it with, and will have to get it overhauled to repair it, and it may be expensive.
If you do this, find a very good transmission shop and get it repaired with all the modifications that were done by the end of the 95 to 97 models, there were many, including an extra plate in the high clutch, with better cooling flow.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

See the attached .pdf file. It is a Subaru bulletin 078 on instructions for using a transmission pressure gauge.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1537500132

Transmission Line Pressure Test With Vehicle Stationary
Line pressure measurement (under no load - closed throttle)

(1) Before measuring the line pressure, apply both foot and parking brakes with all wheels chocked.
(2) Maintain the temperature of ATF at approx. 70 — 80°C (158 — 176°F) during measurement. (ATF will
reach the above temperature after idling the engine for approx. 30 minutes with select lever in “N” or “P”.)

Line pressure measurement (under heavy load)

(1) Before measuring the line pressure, apply both foot and parking brakes with all wheels chocked.
(2) Measure the line pressure when select lever is in “R”, “2” with engine under stall conditions.
(3) Measure the line pressure within 5 seconds after shifting the select lever to each position. (If line pressure
needs to be measured again, allow the engine to idle, and then stop it to cool down for at least one minute.)
(4) Maintain the temperature of ATF at approx. 70 — 80°C (158 — 176°F) during measurement (ATF will
reach the above temperature after idling the engine for approx. 30 minutes with the select lever in “N” or “P”.)
3) Temporarily attach the gauge to a suitable place in the driver's compartment, make or remove a blind plug
located in front of the toe board and pass the hose of the gauge to engine compartment.
4) Remove the test plug and install the gauge fitting instead.
5) Connect the gauge to the hose.
6) Check note values in accordance with throttle position.
Normal line pressure run between, 44 - 189 psi.
Drive Throttle fully closed 44 — 60 psi
Reverse Throttle fully opened 220 — 249 psi
(2) Throttle fully opened. 164 — 189 psi
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trans. Press. Gauge User Instrs.pdf (48.6 KB, 933 views)

Last edited by svxcess; 10-23-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Let me add this bit of information provided by Trevor concerning line pressure and assembling a Transmission Pressure Gauge for measurements and diagnostics.

The important issue is to detect if at any time line pressure fall below the minimum of say 40PSI and this does not of require a lot effort with a pressure gauge on hand.

I can edit this as needed.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1537552563

Attached Files
File Type: doc Portable SVX Transmission Pressure Gauge.doc (20.2 KB, 907 views)

Last edited by svxcess; 09-21-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:43 PM

oab_au: thank you for confirming.

I have already talked with some carshops, so i have basic idea of overhaul cost...

The thing is, i have to use SVX anyway, say 50 Km a week. I drive very gently, not letting it much over 3500rpms - if i would not know car is 4 speed, i would not say its broken - so i hope it will be the solenoid...

svxcess: thank you very much for all informations you posted ! I really appreciate it !

Problem is , that i have called to 4 carshops, including Subaru and only AT oriented shop and none of them measuring line pressure ...

What is most funny is, that guy from last shop i called, told me, they do measuring line pressure, but do not have adapter for sizes of 90s Subarus socket...

So, its not ideal, but i am forced to simply buy that solenoid A, change it myself and see if it make differcence or not.

Is this correct part number of SOLENOID A : 16102AA020 ?

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__/...6102AA020.html

Only in short, where it is located and how hard it is to change it, is there DIY somewhere ?

Thank you very much guys and take care

Filip

Tags
burn, gear, shift, smell, transmission