Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Phil & Belha

The audio harness I've been waiting on arrived today. So now the third interface is completed and tested.

This harness has different colour wires to the other two. It is EIA standard as described by svxdc back on page 2 of this thread. That's something to watch out for when building these. Don't rely on the wire colours in my howto, follow the pin numbers instead.

Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 07-20-2007, 03:56 PM

Great Job

Hi Phil

John from California here. Fantastic work. I have a 1992 USDM EG33 in my VW Vanagon Syncro. I have been able to read data from my ECU consistently with a purchased RS232 to TTL converter. Of course my ECU is located in a completely differant spot and my wiring harness is customized so your theory on noise interferace may not apply to me.

My rom ID is 722525. I plan to try your parameters with Kevins software. Will let you know how it goes!

John
Old 08-06-2007, 10:34 AM

722525 works with parameters

Phil

The parameters you found seem to work fine with my American SVX rom 722525. I just got it working last night so still playing. The data "looks" right. Sure makes adjusting the TPS easy!

One bug in Kevins software (which is not a problem for you) is when I set the option for standard units (Mile and Fahrenheit) i get no data. Maybe I did something wrong, will check tonight.

John
Old 08-07-2007, 03:23 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx9146
Phil

The parameters you found seem to work fine with my American SVX rom 722525. I just got it working last night so still playing. The data "looks" right. Sure makes adjusting the TPS easy!

One bug in Kevins software (which is not a problem for you) is when I set the option for standard units (Mile and Fahrenheit) i get no data. Maybe I did something wrong, will check tonight.

John
Fantastic! Thanks for the report.

I was able to test my adapter on two other SVXes at our recent meet. So far I have the following reports:

92 JDM VL (mine) = ECU - no, TCU - yes
94 JDM S40ii (mine) = ECU - yes, TCU - yes
92 JDM VL (Ron) = ECU - no, TCU - yes
92 JDM VL (SVXistentialist) = ECU - yes, TCU - yes
95 UK (SVXistentialist) = ECU - no, TCU - yes
92 USDM (UPnorth362) = ECU - no
94 USDM (UPnorth362) = ECU - yes
92 USDM (racerx9146) = ECU - yes

The interesting thing for me is that there are different results for identical cars. This seems to confirm what I have suspected all along that there isn't a different system on the early models. Some ECUs are just plain faulty. I reckon that the signal they produce is slightly too out-of-spec or noisy for the converter chip to handle. Unfortunately I don't have sufficient electronics skills to troubleshoot it. It's possible that those cars wouldn't work on a proper Subaru Select Monitor either.

I asked Kevin if he would be willing to give me the source code for his software so that I could add some extra features - like being able to see both O2 sensors at the same time. But he wasn't willing to let me have it. I notice that he posted a new version in June, presumably with some bug fixes.

Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II

Last edited by b3lha; 08-07-2007 at 03:41 AM.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:16 AM

Interface

Its too bad Kevin wont let you have the source code. The software also locks up sometimes when you change between gauges and numeric display.

Some of the info would be much better to display in a bar format rather than a gauge. Tradition gauge formats are useful for very dynamic info like RPM but clumsy and space consuming for stuff like temp and speed. Features I would love to have.
  1. Dual O2 sensor monitoring (as you suggest)
  2. High/Low memory on displays (remembers highest and lowest reading for session)
  3. Clear stored codes
  4. Read stored and current codes (display actual error)
  5. Some data logging

Oh well, its fun to dream, In the long run I could just swap to a OBDII motor when this one wears out! That way you have way more monitoring solutions available to you.

John
Old 08-07-2007, 05:04 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
Fantastic! Thanks for the report.

I was able to test my adapter on two other SVXes at our recent meet. So far I have the following reports:

92 JDM VL (mine) = ECU - no, TCU - yes
94 JDM S40ii (mine) = ECU - yes, TCU - yes
92 JDM VL (Ron) = ECU - no, TCU - yes
92 JDM VL (SVXistentialist) = ECU - yes, TCU - yes
95 UK (SVXistentialist) = ECU - no, TCU - yes
92 USDM (UPnorth362) = ECU - no
94 USDM (UPnorth362) = ECU - yes
92 USDM (racerx9146) = ECU - yes

The interesting thing for me is that there are different results for identical cars.

Some ECUs are just plain faulty. I reckon that the signal they produce is slightly too out-of-spec or noisy for the converter chip to handle.

Phil.
Hi Phil,

You mention of noise, makes me wonder as to whether the ECU in question, particularly '92, have had the ferrite bead crushed, as per the much publicized mod.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Heya Phil,

The connector arrived today. I'm currently installing my serial adapter on the laptop, so I'll be able to test this sucker out real soon. I can't wait!

For note, my SVX is:

1992 USDM LS-L, Ferrite Bead Crushed, Build Date 1/92
Old 08-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
No luck. I plugged everything in, made sure my drivers were working, fired up Kevin's software (with the INI from your ECU page)...

NULL

Grah. When I turn the ignition switch on I get a red RX light. When I use "Get ID" I get a red TX light. But that's it. I can't get the darn ECU to talk to me.

Help!
Old 08-17-2007, 11:06 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
No luck. I plugged everything in, made sure my drivers were working, fired up Kevin's software (with the INI from your ECU page)...

NULL

Grah. When I turn the ignition switch on I get a red RX light. When I use "Get ID" I get a red TX light. But that's it. I can't get the darn ECU to talk to me.

Help!
Refer my earlier post. Does your ECU have the ferrite bead crushed ?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Retired

Quote:
1992 USDM LS-L, Ferrite Bead Crushed, Build Date 1/92
Yes, it is.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:08 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Yes, it is.
Phil has mentioned that noise could be a possible problem and your advice tends verify my suspicions. It would appear that the ferrite bead has been incorporated in line, as a means of suppressing very high frequencies, i.e. noise.

The plot thickens and we will have to see what Phil thinks. Time for a 'scope test.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:03 AM
Retired

I have no scope... so I can't test to see if there is indeed any signal coming through the line. I know that upon initial activation, the ECU sends a signal (no idea what). But from the way the communication is going, my interpretation is this:

1.) ECU engages, send "I'm alive" message to Select Monitor.
2.) Kevin's Software sends "Who Are You?" message to ECU (Get ID).
3.) ECU ignores input.
4.) Kevin's software reports "Null."

And for the data part, it's:

1.) ECU engages, sends "I'm alive" message to Select Monitor.
2.) Kevin's software queries the ECU for ROM data using Get ID request.
3.) ECU ignores input.
4.) Kevin's software reports "Null" as ID and simply updates itself in a loop rather than with information from the ECU.

It just seems to me that my ECU is not accepting the message. It transmits just fine, as seen by the receipt of the initial "I'm Alive" message. But it's like it doesn't understand what Kevin's software is saying...or something...

Either that, or the message is getting garbled in the USB->Serial adapter. Anyone have experience making these work? I have precisely ZERO experience with Serial Communications, so I wouldn't know where to begin. I tried to set the driver to information on Kevin's forum (1953 baud rate, 8 data bits, even parity, 1 stop bit) but the baud rate didn't have what he listed as an option. Gr.

I refuse to believe that the ECU is faulty, or that the box Phil sent is faulty. Either Kevin's software is sending an incorrect signal, or my USB->Serial adapter is not speaking the right language, as it were.

Last edited by Nomake Wan; 08-18-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:29 AM
Phil & Belha

Hi Nomake,

Download the Hex Comm tool, send the commands manually and see what the ECU returns.

You need to set the tool to the correct baud rate and protocol, then send a hex command something like 78 12 34 00 to query the memory at location 1234. The response should be 3 bytes repeated over and over 1234xx1234xx where xx is the contents of the memory at address 1234.
send 12 00 00 00 to stop it.

Let me know what happens.

Also try the TCU, substitute 45 for 78 above.

Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 08-18-2007, 06:27 AM
Retired

Did it. Grah.

Ignition Switch to "ON": 0000 Rx
Start Car: 00 (repeated until starter is turned off)

But that's it. I sent command after command (using the right settings for the port in HCT) and got nothing back.

EDIT: Did some digging on Google. I now suspect less that it is my USB device, as the device I have (F5U109) is a rebadged U232-P9, which was designed specifically to adhere exactly with Serial protocols and avoid the problems with USB-Serial devices. And doing a search on that came up with this thread for a GPS unit:

http://www.audiovisualtalk.com/showthread.php?t=25072

...which is EXACTLY what's going on here. I can receive ECU data just fine, as shown by the data received upon initial turnkey. But I cannot send any data at all. So I suspect there is a conflict or something on my laptop which is preventing proper serial operation. I will investigate further, but any help others can provide would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT2: And now I've found something else. I'm not sure how to implement it, as it's a fix for a Linux distribution... but the text was interesting:

Brief Patch Description:

Fix a problem in the 'mct_u232' driver whereby output data gets held up in the
USB/RS-232 adapter for RS-232 devices which don't assert the 'CTS' signal.

Problem:

Although _reads_ from either of the RS-232 devices mentioned above work fine
via the Belkin adapter, _writes_ to the GPS receiver are not being seen by
the GPS. Writes to the modem, however, work perfectly.

Investigation:

Using the 'seyon' terminal emulator in Linux and a crude hardware RS-232
"breakout box" that I hacked together, I've determined that the problem is
related to the RTS/CTS RS-232 hardware handshaking.

After further investigation, I've concluded that RS-232 devices which do not
assert the 'Clear To Send' ('CTS') signal prevent the Belkin F5U109 adapter
from transmitting data to the RS-232 device when the current (version 1.1)
'mct_u232' module is used. The data gets "queued up" (up to a point -- 16
bytes, I think) in the adapter but never transmitted.

=============

Now, he goes on to say that the Windows 98SE driver sends two signals to the Belkin to emulate the CTS. I'm using the official Belkin XP driver for the device, but I guess it's possible that it's different or something? Why is Serial communication to darn complex?

Last edited by Nomake Wan; 08-18-2007 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Phil & Belha

Hi Nomake,

Glad the adapter arrived safely.

It does sound like a problem with your serial adapter. I had an email recently from an impreza owner who was having the same problems with a USB-serial converter.

When you turn on the ignition you may get a single zero or garbage byte as the interface powers up, but you should not be picking up an endless stream of zeros.

I have always been able to read the TCU using the 45 command, even on cars where I couldn't read the ECU.

There is no handshaking used in this circuit. If your serial interface requires RTS/CTS handshaking then you could try fooling it by connecting the RTS pin to the CTS pin.

Can you beg, borrow or steal a computer with a standard serial port?
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II