SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Calum, I might be interested in this. Our tuner in England [Zen] can already address the ECU using software he has on a laptop, but explain what can be achieved using this board please. It might be beneficial for Phil's research, and I would like to see if it is a help with the TCU as I plan to keep the 4EAT in a modified form. I'm not a programmer or an engine tuner, so please tailor your description of its capabilities for a non-geek

Joe
+1 I would like to know how user friendly this would be... would a good tuner be able to use this?? I would like to keep the stock ECU and have it tunable by a professional rather than expunge on a standalone.

Tom
Old 02-27-2008, 07:31 PM

Calum,
I think you might have underestimated the interest in the unit, I would suggest that you can get the order for 5 resoniablly quick. I think you need to explain more detail as may be I am prepared to put my hand up for two and if that happen my guess is you have 4 sold now.
I am all ears (eyes) tell me more.
For the simulator I was going to spin the cam pully and crank with a electric motor.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:05 AM

Maybe.

To answer the above question- there's two parts to working with a factory ecu. First is having the necessary hardware to actually make changes, so for example on older ecus installing a socket, etc. Second, and just as important, is knowing how the ecu software functions and what to change to get the desired results. What I would provide is an elegant solution to the first problem. To be able to actually use it to tune your car you need people b3lha to actually dig into the ecu code, figure out how stuff works, test it on cars, etc. Not owning an SVX, thats not something I can provide.

Let me describe in little more detail what the 'Realtime' boards do. They're conceptually pretty simple. Basically, imagine an ecu with a USB cable coming out of its butt. You connect to your laptops USB port and get two new virtual serial ports added. One is a standard diagnostic port (SSM in this case), and functions just like you were using a regular SSM adapter. The second port is to the emulator. The two ports are totally independent btw. Here's how the emulator works- when you install a basic ROM daughterboard in your ecu, the ecu is setup to run its program from your ROM chips on the daughterboard. Well, the Realtime works the same way, but instead of having ROM chips its got a very special battery-backed RAM. Here's the cool part. This memory space is accessible not only by the ecu, but also by the microcontroller on the Realtime. Both sides of the memory can read or write (ok, so the ecu never writes to it) to the memory space totally independently, with no affect to the other. They never even know the other side exists. Very slick. What this means is you can change anything in the ecu data realtime, as the car is running. Want to change your fuel map? No problem. Change your timing map? No problem (assuming you know what to change of course, lol). No turning the car off, just make your changes and go. Fun fun fun.

This does nothing for additional computers like the tranny computer, etc. You can still talk to them via the diagnostic connection, but you would need a different hardware solution to make changes to them. I've never really worked with a vehicle that isn't a good old fashioned stick shift, so I've never had that problem before.

So a couple of questions I always get asked-

Can I upload my program to the ecu before I install it in the car? Yes, the daughterboard powers up from the USB, so you can upload your program before you install it in the car.

How long does the battery last? The Realtime uses a 3.6V lithium AA-size battery, and only switches to battery when it doesn't have power. When its installed in the car it uses the car's battery, and never actually uses the lithium battery (you know your ecu never actually completely turns off when you turn the key off, right?). If you left the ecu sitting on a shelf battery lifetime would be about 10 years. Installed in a car, it will be until the lithium self discharges. Probably best to replace it every 10 years.

Can I use a Mac? Linux? The FTDI usb chipset has drivers for Max and Linux. Having software on your Mac or Linux box is up to you. The emulator protocol is documented here, so if your that type of person feel free to write your own code-

http://www.calumsult.com/calumsu/Pro...mand%20Set.pdf

On the PC side, you can actually use EmUtility to turn any ROM editing software into 'realtime' editing. Just switch EmUtility into emualtion mode, and when ever you save your bin it will automatically upload the changes. I just use TunerProRT, but to each his own. You can download the version of EmUtility that works best with the Realtime here-

http://www.calumsult.com/calumsu/random/EmUtility.zip

So thats a big boring post about the Realtime.

If you guys really think there are people interested, here's what I would need.

First, I don't sell anything until I've actually got something to sell. No deposits, etc, I just hate doing that.

Second, I need to buy a SVX ecu, wiring harness, and I'd like a tranny ecu too. As uncut as possible, but really just as long as its at least got the bit that plugs into the ecu is good. I figure you guys are better at finding sources for this than I would be; SVXs just aren't that common in junkyards. I'd also prefer to get an ecu that is typically hard to get a good SSM connection to (91 or whatever).

Third, I'd really like to build a bench simulator, which means spending some time with a real car. I'm in West TX.

Fourth, I don't know how this works, but I'd want to rent a section on this forum. Thats the easiest way for me to provide support, and since I market primarily to forum members I don't have a problem putting money back into the forum. I've got sub-sections on three forums now and love it.

Fifth, I'd like a user in the US as a dedicated beta tester. Only the US for shipping reasons. I have no problems shipping outside the US, but its just slow sometimes. This would have to be a 100% immaculate car, preferably stock, or mild modifications.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
OK, I'm in.

But you probably need Tom as your beta tester, as I'm abroad in Ireland.

We can chat about the sub-forum, I can't see that being a lot different to what Mike [Lan] does, and we really appreciate any technical work that guys do to further the SVX experience.

Thanks

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-28-2008, 12:08 PM

Count me in as well I will sign up for one now but if you need the number I will take two. You will be surprised outside of the USA is pretty fast, I get parts from the US in 4 days. Lets get this project rock and rolling. Come on guys sign up.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Maniac modifier

how many cars do you need??? I have plenty of vehicles from all different years outside. Stock to heavily modified... I have no problem beta testing, been doing it long enough anyway BUT you must understand, I am limited on my knowledge of the ECU in the car and cannot do a lot of the things that Phil and others may be able to... so I may need some roadmaps... I am very interested though and If I need to I will buy 5 myself just to make this happen... Let me know... I can also try and recruite some W. Texas members that may be able to lend a car to you... Lets get this ball rolling

Tom
Old 02-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Official SVX ECU R&D Test Mule reporting for duty!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Official SVX ECU R&D Test Mule reporting for duty!
-Bill
he said stock or mildly modified.... I think you don't qualify Esp. after I put battlescar....um *star* up in the next few minutes

Tom
Old 02-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Phil & Belha

I can't commit to buying at present, but I'll start saving my pennies.

I will happily share everything I know about the ECU and TCU code to help with this. I have figured out how most of the inputs and some of the outputs are represented in the software and I've been able to label quite a lot of constants, variables and functions. There is a lot more than you see on my website because I haven't updated it for ages.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 02-28-2008, 08:06 PM

The only reason for a stock car is you really need to be able to determine if a problem is something in the hardware, or just a mechanical problem. With a stockish immaculate car owned by the type of person that would keep a 10+ year old car in that condition, its easy.

Well, anyone got a source for a spare wiring harness, ecu, and tcu? If you've already got one, just send an e-mail with a reasonable price to orders@calumsult.com and I'll reply with a pay-pal.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Maniac modifier

I don't have one off hand but I will do my best to find one for ya.

Tom
Old 02-28-2008, 09:13 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
If i can be of assistance with any of the computer end lemme know
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-28-2008, 10:57 PM

I did a little digging, and found a copy of a '92 Legacy FSM (real, not mitchell manual, etc). Its actually got a nice series of pages describing the pulse pattern used by the ecu from the cam and crank sensors. Does anyone have the equivalent SVX manual?

Here's pics of the pages from the Legacy manual-

Old 02-29-2008, 12:36 AM

i don't have a scanner so I can't send it to you but I can tell you the SVX uses 3 sensors. If none of the other members can get it I will search out a scanner and post it for you.
Tony
Old 02-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
i don't have a scanner so I can't send it to you but I can tell you the SVX uses 3 sensors. If none of the other members can get it I will search out a scanner and post it for you.
Tony
Take a good picture

Tom