Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-15-2020, 09:34 PM

Strange Smell Inside Car

Hope everyone is coping well with the coronavirus and staying healthy.

I have this strange problem with my 94 SVX that no one has been able to diagnose. I started smelling a strange smell inside the car after driving for a while. When parked, as I smell near the passenger side cowl vents with the engine hood shut, it smells like rotten eggs. It also occasionally smells like that outside the car. Inside the car (and in the trunk as well) the smell is a little milder, more of an oily smell.

I should mention that i dont have this problem with my other car, so the smell is not coming from me.

I have since changed the fuel filter, the fuel pressure regulator and the back pressure transducer, none of which solved the problem. The transducer was changed because one mechanic told me the problem isn't exhaust related - he said the exhaust system looked good - but thought it could be the transducer. It wasn't.

All I can think of is the catalytic converter, which I assume one could just smell after running the car on a lift, but apparently its not that simple.

I should also mention I have no CEL - I've had none for months, and the engine runs pretty close to perfect. The car has 146K miles.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Larry
Old 05-16-2020, 03:35 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Strange Smell Inside Car

The air intake for the HVAC system is in the passenger side cowl vent. It's not unusual to get funky smells happening from moisture, rotting bits of leaves etc. Debris gets sucked in by the fan. Also if you turn off the AC without running the fan for a while to dry things out inside moldy/funky smells can build up. There has even been cases of small rodents dying inside.
Sometimes you can cure it by turning on the HVAC and spraying Lysol or product of your choice into the intake. There are also commercially made products specifically for this problem.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Dayle at Motorsport warehouse had a kit for addressing this.

Using a special aerosol chemical with a long hose, you drilled a small hole in the air box or ducting under the dash. Inserted the hose, sprayed the chemical and ran the system. Then plug the small hole.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 05-19-2020, 07:44 PM
dances with roads

Registered SVX

Rotten egg smell = catalytic converter in my mind. Sulfur smell.
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss
Old 05-22-2020, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.