SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
At the power levels that eclipses can make... FWD=no traction... the gearing is lower on the AWD cars as well, which depending on power levels can help and hurt. All in all, if you're trying to drag, AWD is faster... by far (by the way, a stock looking, 4g63 powered, AWD, 1g dsm just broke into the 7s. and a RWD one just broke into the 6s)
I think I heard about that. Is that the one that went 7.98ish? http://www.shepracing.com/

Quote:
Autocross?? the AWD versions handle better, however the 1gs have some problems they have to overcome first. 2gs are just inherently better at autocross events.
I always thought the 1g's were the more reliable cars. Didn't realize they might actually be good for something besides eye candy.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:21 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I really should stop talking Sorry

Tom
Old 10-19-2005, 10:44 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red SVX 92
I think I heard about that. Is that the one that went 7.98ish? http://www.shepracing.com/

I always thought the 1g's were the more reliable cars. Didn't realize they might actually be good for something besides eye candy.
Yup thats Shep. close to a deity in the DSM world.

1gs have the better motor, (at least early ones) however the ones that have the better motor have a weaker rear axle. 2gs have a normal suspension. for some reason the engin... enginee... (i just can't bring myself to call them engineers..) at mitsu decided it'd be fun if they made the rear suspension have "dynamic rear toe " which is pretty ****ty for actually turning. theres some other design flaws, however all fixable.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 10-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
and shadow.. soo lets figure sayy 45k for your car? and then i have no idea what truck you have, but figure 10k for the truck... hmmm for $55k... I'm thinking that you could have had one hella fast SVX!

despite his sig, i'm pretty sure Shadow admitted to not owning a REAL WS-6 - he just slapped the WS-6 parts on his Trans-Am, along with some Lingenfelter parts, but his sig implies he has a "Lingenfelter Trans-Am WS-6".

no way it was $45k. now that he's modded it, probably worth less than a pristine stock example.

i will now change my sig to "Cobb Tuning Legacy STi (Perrin Special Edition)"

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-19-2005, 11:00 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarsvx
hey land

variable dccd doesnt help in any way for accelration,, brembo brake dont make you go any faster,,nether does HID headlights and intercooler sprayer,

now the tranny is better i agree but the 2.5 block is difficult to work with and drive by wire,

you can pick up a wrx for around 23k new or a sti new for 32k abought a 9k price difrence for stuff that is just for the bling appeal,

just adding some usefull recources to the conversation =>
if all you want to do is go fastAr, then the WRX is a poor choice - you could have bought another cheap Eclipse and poured some money into that, or better yet, a motorcycle.

my point was for the price difference of the STi over the WRX, you can't say its not worth the extra money for what you get. BTW, i seriously hope you're not running '04 WRX stock brakes at over STi-power levels. that's just plain dangerous.

Old 10-20-2005, 07:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
if all you want to do is go fastAr, then the WRX is a poor choice - you could have bought another cheap Eclipse and poured some money into that, or better yet, a motorcycle.

my point was for the price difference of the STi over the WRX, you can't say its not worth the extra money for what you get. BTW, i seriously hope you're not running '04 WRX stock brakes at over STi-power levels. that's just plain dangerous.
i have had 3 dsm's they all are fun cars
andyou rright you just want a drag car buy a 1st gen

i have up graded pads, rotors and such ,

and im way above the sti power range
Old 10-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
BTW, i seriously hope you're not running '04 WRX stock brakes at over STi-power levels. that's just plain dangerous.
I remember hearing about insurance rates for those Rexes going through the roof in late '02 or '03. The reason? A large percentage of front-end collisions. Not that many of them were with cars. Seems that the WRX had the power, but not the brakes for the job.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
no way it was $45k. now that he's modded it, probably worth less than a pristine stock example.
Pristine stock example? F-Body? HAHAHA... good one. Reminds me of that "pristine" stock 0 mile 97 SVX on ebay for $25k.... with different wheels... wonder why...?

Seriously though, it's not worth keeping an F-Body in pristine shape to maintain resale value. Their resale values plummet like a rock. Actually, more like an SVX.

Back on your real point, modding is money you'll never got back when you seel the car. That's why you restore it to stock and sell the aftermarket parts.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
despite his sig, i'm pretty sure Shadow admitted to not owning a REAL WS-6 - he just slapped the WS-6 parts on his Trans-Am, along with some Lingenfelter parts, but his sig implies he has a "Lingenfelter Trans-Am WS-6".
This is correct. I bought my car as a 1999 Trans Am. The problem is that most people don't realize the difference between a regular TA and a WS6. They seem to think that the WS6 has a magic engine. It's a hood, shifter, sway bars, wheels and a neato badge. That's it people. There is no power difference. So my car, with all those parts added, is as much a WS6 as any WS6 from the factory. It will fetch the same resale price, attract the same buyers. The "WS6" RPO code on the door will probably be worth alot for a stock car some day, but for now it's worthless. Add to that that about 75% of my engine is now comprised of lingenfelter parts, with even more on the way, I think my sig is pretty accurate.

Quote:
He wasn't talking about how much it cost. He was talking about how much it would have been worth with all these parts. And, as a sum of it's parts, that's not a bad estimation. However it doesn't work that way. If I was planning to sell this car, i wouldn't be putting all this money into it.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:27 PM
Hater

Quote:
I remember hearing about insurance rates for those Rexes going through the roof in late '02 or '03. The reason? A large percentage of front-end collisions. Not that many of them were with cars. Seems that the WRX had the power, but not the brakes for the job.
the brakes are fine for the stock 227hp, but not for over 400hp.

the reason for the many crashes is most likely young n00b drivers not knowing how to drive a powerful AWD car. that, and overconfidence in rain and snow by the aforementioned n00b drivers.

....and of course, the scapegoat RE-92's.

Old 10-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
the reason for the many crashes is most likely young n00b drivers not knowing how to drive a powerful AWD car. that, and overconfidence in rain and snow by the aforementioned n00b drivers.
....and of course, the scapegoat RE-92's.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that most of the owners (well, owned) were young 20-somethings, and that was 80% of the equation, with brakes being inadequate for a lead foot.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:42 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to mention that most of the owners (well, owned) were young 20-somethings, and that was 80% of the equation, with brains being inadequate for a lead foot.
Fixed your post.

It has more to do with the driver than the car.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Fixed your post.

It has more to do with the driver than the car.
i can't say that at 16 years old i would refuse an STi if my parents were willing to buy me one, but now i'm glad i wasn't put in that situation - i'd probably be dead or something.

scary though 16 and 17 year olds are getting these as a first car.

Old 10-21-2005, 11:59 AM

I have both...

I have a 92 SVX and 03 WRX wagon...I love them both and both have awesome handling and the SVX just beams with style.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:18 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
i can't say that at 16 years old i would refuse an STi if my parents were willing to buy me one, but now i'm glad i wasn't put in that situation - i'd probably be dead or something.

scary though 16 and 17 year olds are getting these as a first car.
To be honest, i think giving a 16 or 17 year old a WRX is a helluva lot better idea then giving one a Z28... and theres quite a few that have those... When I was in highschool, i was constantly having to avoid the "i'm rich but don't know how to drive" crowd in my SVX. usually BMWs, Ford trucks, and camarobirds. There was a guy that had a stealth R/T, then his parents bought him an EVO... however at least they also sent him to skip barber twice... (must be nice eh?)

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker