Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-17-2018, 07:01 AM
Subaru Worshiper

My First SVX, and My Planned Maintenance.

So after reading the forums over the last two weeks I have devised a list of things I should replace so that my SVX can hopefully become somewhat dependable my daily. The Car Currently has ~206,000km

First off, I have the last 18 years of maintenance records, that I received from the elderly couple and owned this car before. Trans was rebuilt 50k km ago and a external cooler was added at that time. Car was repainted in 2007, and car had regular oil changes and brought in at the Subaru recommended maintenance intervals. I bought the car with a Power steering leak, Oil leak, and fuel leak and a small Coolant leak. Fixed the fuel issue. I drove through Canada Windsor to Edmonton (~3900km ) and it needed new PS fluid every gas stop and needed oil every second/third stop. So these are my biggest concerns that I must address. This is my list as it stands:
  • High Pressure Power Steering Line: 34610PA120
  • Rear Main Seal
  • Valve Cover Gaskets
  • Spark Plugs (couldn't find the record when they were last replaced)
  • Transmission Filter (I will probably add an External Perma-cool Trans Filter)
  • Timing Belt with all the relevant parts. (It is due in 45k)
  • Water Pump with Thermostat and gasket. (I think the gasket is the leak)
  • PS/AC Belts
  • Both Knock Sensors
  • Oil Pressure Sender
  • Fuel Filter

I have a list of modifications a mile long for what I want to do, but this must come first.

What I am looking for is some recommendation as to what else I should replace/inspect before I can rely on this as my Daily Driver.

I am a Student, so I drive to and from Edmonton and Detroit (~2000miles) twice a year and very little driving the rest of the year. So I mainly need the car to be reliable for long journeys. (There is also talk of towing a small 3.5ft x 5ft trailer and I have my own welder and fairly mechanically inclined so I plan on making my own Trailer hitch. Please consider this when recommending possible maintenance I have overlooked)

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Also Moderators if there is a rule I am violating please let me know and I will move my post or fix.

Cheers & Thank you

R.I.P. 1997 White Legacy Brighton Wagon 279k 5MT
Mods: 96 JDM WRX 2 piston brake swap, 04/06 STI Tophat, Springs & Struts, Whiteline Swaybars & Endlinks, 96 JDM WRX Control Arms, 98 Outback Front End swap.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:26 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: My First SVX, and My Planned Maintenance.

Welcome. It sounds like you got a good one. Properly maintained and even painted.

If you have the intake off to do the knock sensors you'd be wise to replace all the rubber vacuum lines under there. They will be brittle as porcelain by now.

For the trailer hitch, several forum members have welded up their own.A member by the name of Gamesy was even selling them and I believe he resides in Edmonchuck too.

Last edited by Blacky; 01-17-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:01 PM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX

A few items I did with mine when I first got it: fuel filter (the instructions are here in the Network) and, if you plan on draining the transmission fluid, replace it with BG. Hope this helps, and congrats on the SVX!

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L
"9 of 7" - 97 bordeaux pearl, formerly with Earl Steele
Old 01-18-2018, 07:55 AM

I don't know if I would add an external filter. The 94 should came with updates to the transmission from the factory. Plus it has already been rebuilt and a cooler added. Heat would be the main concern and sounds as if that has been addressed. Not familiar with BG, guessing a premium transmission fluid? I am changing my fluid out with Redline D4 fluid. With a cooler you will get more fluid out on a change. I am guessing that is why mine dumped well over 5 quarts in my catch pan. Sounds like you have a pretty good plan.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:19 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

With those long distance runs in mind I'd double check the ball joints, sway bars, trailing arms and associated bushings.

Presumably in Edmonton you don't have a lots of salt corrosion, but if you do the brake and fuel lines suffer as much as the power steering lines.

Welcome to the forum.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:40 AM
Subaru Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
Welcome. It sounds like you got a good one. Properly maintained and even painted.

If you have the intake off to do the knock sensors you'd be wise to replace all the rubber vacuum lines under there. They will be brittle as porcelain by now.

For the trailer hitch, several forum members have welded up their own.A member by the name of Gamesy was even selling them and I believe he resides in Edmonchuck too.
I will look into the vacuum line thank you and I messaged Gamesy.

and (SVX_MY_BABY) I will also check out the suspension for play/corrosion. Edmonton uses sand/gravel since it drops to -41C from time to time so salt is kind of useless here but I wanted to upgrade to some goodyear SS brakelines to hopefully firm up that brake pedal.

R.I.P. 1997 White Legacy Brighton Wagon 279k 5MT
Mods: 96 JDM WRX 2 piston brake swap, 04/06 STI Tophat, Springs & Struts, Whiteline Swaybars & Endlinks, 96 JDM WRX Control Arms, 98 Outback Front End swap.

Tags
first svx, maintenance