Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Supercharged Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 12:12 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Well I'm down here working on it.

I've got the machine shop making the new and improved tubes for bolting the supercharger up to the manifold. Instead of stock tubing used in the prototype the production manifolds will have tubes machined just the way I want them. They will be bigger around with a smaller bolt hole and have a recess in the top so that the socket head bolts we will be using (allen heads) sit flush inside of the tubes instead of bolt heads on top.

I revised the pulleys for the alternator and ac. We machined the pulley i had taken the ribs off of down to 50mm and added it as a second pulley on the back of the factory bracket along side the original pulley with the ribs still on it. This reroutes the belt for better clearance around the bump on the timing cover. A 6202 bearing was used in the pulley to begin with due to it's narrowness so it's already good for the higher rpms the pulley will spin now that it's 50mm instead of 70.

I also determined I can forgoe the add on bracket for the lower additional idlers for the supercharger belt along with those idlers. We're machining a small diameter smooth pulley to go on the same assembly the factory idler does. This makes installation easier, reduces parasitic drag, shortens the belt, and gets everything back up above factory height to avoid clearance problems with the fan. I was considering using two 6901 bearings in place of the 6301 bearing to maintain longevity at the higher rpms the smaller pulley will be spinning but after doing the math determined we can stick with a 6301. We are using skf bearings and this size bearing from them is dependable at speeds of 22,000 rpms which makes us good for 7300 engine rpms.

I'll know better shortly but I think I have clearance to step up to 6 rib pulleys and a 6 rib belt. If I can get a good price on machining a crank pulley and alternator pulley with 6 ribs would you guys be interested?

Last edited by longassname; 05-10-2005 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Duckie
*ponders*

What would be the exact effects of the 6 rib
Old 05-11-2005, 02:49 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
20% more pleasure?

umm, probably 20% less chance of slipping.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Duckie
Arent those the same things

Hmm, yeah id probably be interested
Old 05-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Just some dude.

I put in the custom machined idler for the power steering and supercharger belt which let me get rid of the extra bracket for the extra idlers. I'm very happy with it. This is definitely 100% set for the production run so I'll put the order in with the machine shop when I pick up the manifold bolt tubes.

I have a couple more manifolds on the way and a couple more promised to be on the way shortly. When they all get here we'll start with cutting them up and the manifold fabrication.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Just some dude.

eh, the double idler idea for the ac/alternator belt sounded and looked good unfortunately it didn't work so well. The idea of the second pulley was in order to improve the clearance for the belt. The original single smooth pulley setup i came up with for that belt worked well and I've gone back to it. I was hoping to use a bolt on part to increase the clearance to what I want for the production run so I didn't have to collect ac idler brackets but no sense getting into excessive engineering to avoid finding half a dozen brackets. AC idler brackets are now added to the list of factory parts that will be needed in exchange for modified parts. We're nipping about 1/4 off a spot in the back.

So now the production run belt setup is done.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:43 PM
Just some dude.

I guess this is about as good a place as any to post this. Anyone that has extra ac idler brackets (complete with 4 rib idler pulley) I'm interested in purchasing them.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:45 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
cool. I am so glad to hear that stage 3 is off the ground legitimatley. Although I am unsure of when I would be able to buy one because I would never buy it with a 5mt still in the car. I would be breaking transmissions left right and center 3 times a day.

Tom
Old 05-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
I guess this is about as good a place as any to post this. Anyone that has extra ac idler brackets (complete with 4 rib idler pulley) I'm interested in purchasing them.
I have one on the engine in my garage. It came from the used engine I bought so I have no idea how the bearing is.
Can you replace the bearing if it is bad?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Mike, I guess I didn't trash the powersteering bracket like I thought. I found it today while i was looking for a sensor that someone needed. Let me know if u still want it.

TOm
Old 05-16-2005, 07:54 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
I have one on the engine in my garage. It came from the used engine I bought so I have no idea how the bearing is.
I have one as well. Bearing was a bit noisy, that is why I took it off. PM me.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 05-16-2005, 08:37 PM
Just some dude.

Nope, I don't need the power steering brackets anymore but I do need the ac idler brackets now. Got one of those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
Mike, I guess I didn't trash the powersteering bracket like I thought. I found it today while i was looking for a sensor that someone needed. Let me know if u still want it.

TOm
Old 05-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Ya, I can replace the bearing.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
Ya, I can replace the bearing.
I'll send it along with the engine mounts.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
I'll send it along with the engine mounts.
Awesome, thanks.