How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 12-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Advice Needed - Living in America

The time has come when our family started thinking seriously about leaving Lebanon for good and establishing our future somewhere else.

Don't want this thread to turn political, but with all the cr@p happening in the Middle East area, terrorists growing at an alarming rate, extremists going beyond extremism with their behavior and actions, bombs exploding randomly and in any area in Lebanon... my family (Dad, Mom, Sis, myself and my fiancee), and my uncle's (Him, Her, one married son +1, one single son) decided to chase a future either in the US or Australia.

What we are thinking of at this stage, is a preliminary visit where I would go with my uncle and test waters. If everything turns well, we will liquidate all our assets in Lebanon and purchase property in either US or Aust whichever we decide. During our first visit, we are also planning to meet with immigration lawyers to discuss all the details of our move. Everything has to be legal. Hope my dad's old green card can be of use for my family.

The business that we are looking to establish overseas is either a restaurant or gas station/garage. More likely the first. The question remains here since the US or Aust are not your typical Lebanon in terms of options. There are thousands of cities/states to live in, how someone like me should choose correctly? Key requirements:

1- Safe, clean and nice neighborhood.
2- Acceptable standards of living (housing, taxes, etc...)
3- Ability to establish a business without the government throwing much sticks in wheels for you..
4- Normal weather conditions, preferably in the southern states.

Appreciate your help guys.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:55 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Advice Needed - Living in America

Good luck with which ever you chose, I think (and this is based on nothing but personal reading and conversations) Texas may be good for many if not all your requirements. I believe Texas is business friendly the wages buy more and if you pick which city to live you will have great weather and safe.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:49 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

I am sorry to hear it has come to this Danny. I cannot imagine how you can replace your homeland. There is a rich history of Lebanese Christians in the U.S.A. I am sure you have done your Google searches. Actually, Jacksonville, Florida and Houston, Texas are two of the newest cities with a growing Lebanese population. I am sure this is partly because of lower property costs, favorable taxation and weather. Southern California has been a traditional location because of similar weather and terrain. Bottom line, look where you will find great support by fellow Lebanese to make the transition comfortable for your family.
Let me know if there is anything I can do to assist.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 12-30-2013, 05:42 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
Good luck with which ever you chose, I think (and this is based on nothing but personal reading and conversations) Texas may be good for many if not all your requirements. I believe Texas is business friendly the wages buy more and if you pick which city to live you will have great weather and safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb3 View Post
I am sorry to hear it has come to this Danny. I cannot imagine how you can replace your homeland. There is a rich history of Lebanese Christians in the U.S.A. I am sure you have done your Google searches. Actually, Jacksonville, Florida and Houston, Texas are two of the newest cities with a growing Lebanese population. I am sure this is partly because of lower property costs, favorable taxation and weather. Southern California has been a traditional location because of similar weather and terrain. Bottom line, look where you will find great support by fellow Lebanese to make the transition comfortable for your family.
Let me know if there is anything I can do to assist.
Gene
Yes, unfortunately danger is around the corner. Those retarded extremists were originally Muslim Sunnis who interpreted the words of their prophet in a wrong way. I dunno if you guys ever saw the Video of that "so called REBEL" in Syria cutting open the chest of a Syrian soldier, remove his heart and eat it. This kind of behavior is never seen before, even by the 15 century standards. They are killing all people, Muslims, Christians, Jews, Animals, Plants, Concrete.... lol. If you g-oogle their do's and don't, you will be really surprised how retarded they are. (i.e: Pregnant women cannot go to doctors, her mother only should help her give birth, men cannot wear short trousers, etc...). This is not how WE as Christians live. We are very peaceful, rarely you hear a murder within the Christian community (like once a year).

The only good thing that came out from those extremists is that they united all religions in Lebanon against that enemy. Religious discrimination is at its lowest now, we are all longing for peace, especially after a specific 16 year old young boy who was killed 2 days ago in the last bombing. He was Muslim Sunni, going to play Basketball with his friends. They took a picture of themselves like 3 minutes before the explosion, in that picture you can see the rigged Honda. Then another picture with him on the ground, hurt in the head and waist. It was heartbreaking

Gene, I never knew that people live mainly over there according to roots. But it is nice to know that there exist two specific cities with Lebanese concentration. We sure do not really care about that as much as the points I noted above. But thank you for the info.

Now we need an immigration lawyer to discuss with him the details of our move, after we do the initial recon visit to the cities in question. Any recommendations?

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:07 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Danny, I think this would be a very good thing for you and your family to do. I can only imaginable how awful it must be to live in such a turbulent part of the world, and it all seems so senseless. I feel very safe in America, there are good people here. (and the SVX are cheap!) I think you would be welcome wherever you went. If you want to avoid winters, I would recommend the Atlanta area or Florida.

That being said, I have never been to Australia but it looks like it great place too.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 12-30-2013, 11:35 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Danny, I think this would be a very good thing for you and your family to do. I can only imaginable how awful it must be to live in such a turbulent part of the world, and it all seems so senseless. I feel very safe in America, there are good people here. (and the SVX are cheap!) I think you would be welcome wherever you went. If you want to avoid winters, I would recommend the Atlanta area or Florida.

That being said, I have never been to Australia but it looks like it great place too.
Sean, thanks for the additional info. Well, I sometimes watch "Investigation Discovery" and I can see the horror of some murders that happen in the US. To be quite honest, such crimes are also never seen over here. At the same time I know that some of the cities are to be avoided, like Cleveland, Queens, New Jersey, etc...

Anyways, now we have 3 cities to aim for. I thought to ask you guys since you know all the details better than I do. We are looking to purchase property but at the same time not be eaten by taxes and whatnot. I thought Florida was expensive. But I will do my research for Jacksonville, so as Houston and Atlanta. Any further info about those three would be highly appreciated.

Do you guys recommend that I talk to an immigration lawyer who knows the rules of these cities or the immigration is the same for all states/country?

Old 12-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile Re: Advice Needed - Living in America

Tough to compare the USA with "down under", as the USA has 14 times the population of Australia, & may as well be Europe in terms of diversity, & climate.

As far as business taxes, & opportunity go, look at Florida, & Nevada, which are climate friendly (Hot & hotter), & are tourist destinations, thus exceptionally restaurant friendly. Both offer relatively cheap housing. If you like the ocean, humidity, & flat boring roads; it's Florida. If you prefer mountains, "dry" heat, & SVX challenging roads, it's Nevada. Good neighborhoods (& bad) are everywhere.
You have a lot of research to do, & the info can be overwhelming. When you get to the point of narrowing down an approximate location, the SVX community will gladly chime in. Best 'o luck with the project, & the red tape that lies ahead.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:20 PM

Registered SVX

I am in Jacksonville Florida, I did not recommend it because I dont own my house, nor a business so I don't know the property tax problems, I can tell you though its a great place to live, the cost of living is reasonable its along the coast and so a little bit more moderate in temperature and the humidity is livable, though A/C is very preferred in the house. I get in the car though and windows down is fine.
The "winter" months, Jan and Feb the over night temps can be as low as the 20's but daytime highs will usually exceed 55F July and aug seem to have the most humidity. Temps in the 90'sF And if you move into Jacksonville the Southside is the more desired location. Avoid the Northside that is where you hear about shootings/robberies and other crimes.
Crimes happen everywhere but the closer to the beach the more affluent and less crime.
I have lived in this subdivision since sept 2011 and I have left my car unlocked, my house unlocked and bikes sitting in the driveway and never had any problems.

This is a map image of my neighborhood

Last edited by 92 SVX; 12-30-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert View Post
Tough to compare the USA with "down under", as the USA has 14 times the population of Australia, & may as well be Europe in terms of diversity, & climate.

As far as business taxes, & opportunity go, look at Florida, & Nevada, which are climate friendly (Hot & hotter), & are tourist destinations, thus exceptionally restaurant friendly. Both offer relatively cheap housing. If you like the ocean, humidity, & flat boring roads; it's Florida. If you prefer mountains, "dry" heat, & SVX challenging roads, it's Nevada. Good neighborhoods (& bad) are everywhere.
You have a lot of research to do, & the info can be overwhelming. When you get to the point of narrowing down an approximate location, the SVX community will gladly chime in. Best 'o luck with the project, & the red tape that lies ahead.

Ron.
Ron, I am not comparing at all, I know the US is totally different than Aus. I am simply stating another option, but I also know that Canada is another possibility but I am not really looking to spend the rest of my life in subfreezing temps. Europe is expensive, so it is a no go.

Lebanon has 4 distinct weathers during the year. Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. We have the beach side as well as the mountain side. The atmosphere is generally humid all year long (unlike Qatar which is very dry). In Winter snow starts at 0.8 mile above sea level. From coast to 1 mile above sea level can be always achieved in 25 minutes by car. All of Lebanon is naturally green without any deserts.

I think if you join Nevada and Florida you will get what I described above, lol. But we definitely can manage with Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
I am in Jacksonville Florida, I did not recommend it because I dont own my house, nor a business so I don't know the property tax problems, I can tell you though its a great place to live, the cost of living is reasonable its along the coast and so a little bit more moderate in temperature and the humidity is livable, though A/C is very preferred in the house. I get in the car though and windows down is fine.
The "winter" months, Jan and Feb the over night temps can be as low as the 20's but daytime highs will usually exceed 55F July and aug seem to have the most humidity. Temps in the 90'sF And if you move into Jacksonville the Southside is the more desired location. Avoid the Northside that is where you hear about shootings/robberies and other crimes.
Crimes happen everywhere but the closer to the beach the more affluent and less crime.
I have lived in this subdivision since sept 2011 and I have left my car unlocked, my house unlocked and bikes sitting in the driveway and never had any problems.
We need to talk lol. Can you PM me your email pls?

Last edited by SilverSpear; 12-30-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:15 PM

Registered SVX

I can't imagine how difficult your decision to leave must be.
I have heard and read of immigrants finding great comfort living within communities of people from their home country, at least for a bit.
That said, communities aren't always based on nationality. (Like this forum.)
I wonder if any of the online Lebanese groups can help you with your decisions.
Best wishes to you!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:29 PM

Hi SilverSpear,
Best wishes and luck
New Zealand sounds a bit like Lebanon!
A range of climates depending on latitude.
Also distinct seasons, more so as you move south.
Govt friendly -democracy that mainly works, little corruption -taxes manageable.Good education system
regards
DonMac45
Old 12-30-2013, 06:35 PM

Registered SVX

Oh and Danny that email I gave will also find me on facebook, Gene is my name.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:34 AM

Registered SVX

I think it's a very personal thing, getting up and moving like that, so I can't help with exact destination. However I can say that I have several Lebanese friends here in Australia, and they're generally very happy here.

There's a massive Lebanese community here, and already lots of well established Lebanese restaurants.

But strangely, I also know some that can't quite fit 100% here, and therefore travel back to Lebanon regularly. But don't know how that works out financially. Must be a killer!

Do you have friends of family here in Aus?
Old 12-31-2013, 09:06 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I would tell you where NOT to go,
Detroit,
Chicago,
New York City,
Washington DC,
ANYWHERE in Maryland,
New Orleans.
What kind of weather are you looking for as far as Summer high temperatures and Winter low temperatures?
What % of humidity do you like?
How many days of Sun per year do you like?
Tom
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 12-31-2013, 08:44 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
I would tell you where NOT to go,

ANYWHERE in Maryland,

Tom

Or anywhere in Wiley Ford, WVA!!!!

Actually, Danny might like Annapolis. Four seasons, lots of water, lots of crabs, lots of wealth to spend in trendy restaurants, lots of taxes to support Baltimore.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: