Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts For Sale > SVX Cars For Sale
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2021, 09:59 PM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX
Black '92 FS in Southern MD

SOLD

Location of the SVX: Southern Maryland

Year: 1992

Model: LSL

VIN: JF1CX3539NH100643

Manufacture date: April 1991

Paint Color: Ebony Pearl

Interior Color: Grey Leather

Mileage: 110,486

Options:

AWD or FWD: AWD

Major service: Unknown

Maintenance Records: Recent plugs, air filter, engine oil and filter

Engine Condition: Good

Transmission condition: Good

Glass condition: Good

Type of tires and remaining tread: Mismatched, tires are shot

Type of wheels: OEM

Interior condition: Excellent

Body condition: Excellent

Known defects or problems: Needs tires, minor clunking in drivetrain, battery is not correct for car, valve cover gaskets are leaking, no record of timing belt.

Comments about the car:
To make a long story short, this car belongs to a shop in Clinton, MD. They purchased it basically as a parts car, to remove the transmission and put it into another '92 that was a theft recovery. The owner of that theft recovery car changed their mind and left the shop with this car. They had the car repainted, replaced the fuel pump and filter and decided they wanted to sell it; I have been working on the car in exchange for shop credit and am selling it on their behalf.

When I got the car it was running quite rough, had a check engine light on and the battery wouldn't hold a charge. In the time I've had it (and in chronological order), I have added a bottle of Chevron Techron to an empty tank (it ran much better after the 10 mile drive home), changed the oil with Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic and a K&N filter, at which point I saw the valve cover gaskets were leaking. I have trickle charged the battery on several occasions and found that once it was fully charged the check engine light disappeared and the car idles very smoothly. I replaced the plugs with Bosch double iridiums, cleaned the MAF sensor and replaced the air filter and replaced the upper alternator bolt that was missing. Please note that the car will also come with OEM valve cover gasket parts to help the new owner. All three wiper blades have been replaced, along with the hood and trunk struts and the sun visors. There is also bluing window tint on the back window and rear upper glass, but I may have that removed before the sale.

The people who repainted the car gave it a good start to be sure, but I have finished the job for the most part. There are a few spots where the paint runs and there are three small paint breaks in the hood, but I have polished it down and applied GTechniq Crystal Lacquer sealant and permanent trim restorer. Aside from the few runs, the car looks amazing, and not just from ten feet away, as the pictures will show (note that I edited the photos for size but have not color or otherwise corrected or changed the pictures; they are a true representation of how the car looks right now). Because of the condition of the tires, I switched my own wheels onto this car so that I could get it out on the road to see how it really drives, so many of the final pictures had my wheels on. While the paint is faded on the wheels, they have no corrosion. In fact, it needs to be pointed out that there is no rust on this car, not underneath, not in the engine bay, nowhere. My own '92 was a New Hampshire and New York car in the past and, as good as it is, simply can't hold a candle to this car.

I mentioned earlier that there is some minor clunking in the drivetrain. It may need engine or transmission mounts, but it has never had an issue going into drive or reverse, and when I've driven the car it shifts perfectly up and down through the gears. I am certain that the power steering needs to be flushed and probably needs the o-ring replaced as it is vibrating when turned hard left or right. There is no exhaust rattle whatsoever (unlike my current '92) and very minor squeaks here and there. The heat and air conditioning are functioning, as are the radio and the antenna. All windows go up and down without issue. The sunroof needs a push to go up (as do most '92s by now), but there is no rust around the sunroof and no leaking. It brakes perfectly though there is rust on the brake rotor hats, normal on most cars. Again, please note that I do not know if the timing belt has been done or if the transmission has ever been replaced as, unfortunately, I do not have any past records and the CarFax report only shows that it was a California and Minnesota car. And even though the car has been here in Maryland for the past two years or so, the current owners never drove the car in rain or snow, and it truly shows underneath.

In closing, I've been a member here for some time, so it was important to me to make sure to give a full and accurate review of this car, not just one or two lines. It does need work and, as such, the price is flexible, but this is not a $300 basket case. It is a car that, with some attention, can be an excellent driver, but it is definitely not a parts car. I already had plans in the works to purchase Earle Steele's '97 Bordeaux Pearl car and I already have had my own '92 for the past 5 years (my third '92), otherwise I would have bought this car. Please note that I will work with those interested in buying the car. If you want to fly in and drive back, I can certainly have tires and battery of your choice put on the car at your expense, or work with the shipper of your choice. And if you are not certain on shipping logistics, I can recommend the people who recently delivered the '97 to me as it arrived three days early without a scratch on it. In any event, I have posted a Flickr link to the photos I took as I have been working on the car. If there is something not pictured that you want to see, please let me know and I will take additional pictures. I can be reached via PM here or at svxit@yahoo.com for any additional information needed!

Asking price: $6,500 OBO

Pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/998168...h/51735098954/

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L
"9 of 7" - 97 bordeaux pearl, formerly with Earl Steele

Last edited by svxcess; 07-08-2022 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-12-2021, 01:56 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Black '92 FS in Southern MD

That's a very good looking SVX. Thankfully it was saved from being a parts car.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:41 AM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
That's a very good looking SVX. Thankfully it was saved from being a parts car.
Yes, and I'm glad to have played a small part in it's restoration. It is not that far from being in excellent condition all around, and I can't remember the last time I saw a '92 with so little rust. My new-to-me '97, while not bad at all, has quite a bit more rust.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:50 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Nice car! Good luck with the sale. I imagine you would be able to do well on Cars and Bids or BringaTrailer.com
Old 12-12-2021, 02:58 PM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
Nice car! Good luck with the sale. I imagine you would be able to do well on Cars and Bids or BringaTrailer.com
Thank you. May have a go at Cars & Bids, but wanted to try here first. Also, that's an impressive list of cars you've got. I don't have it indicated, but my Disco II was totaled several years ago and I now have a 2008 LR3 HSE as well.

Old 06-23-2022, 03:00 AM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX

This car is sold, going to the founder of the old Yahoo SVX club!

Last edited by svxcess; 07-08-2022 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:40 PM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX

This '92 delivered to the new owner today. I am finally back down to a two-SVX household, as it were.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02_Blk_92_sold.jpg (835.5 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 01_Blk_92_sold.jpg (810.5 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 03_Blk_92_sold.jpg (255.8 KB, 113 views)

Old 07-11-2022, 11:32 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up Re: Black '92 FS in Southern MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvXit View Post
This car is sold, going to the founder of the old Yahoo SVX club!

And that would be "Jester", right? - Good grief, it's been over 22 years since "the good ol' Yahoo days". Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:33 PM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert View Post

And that would be "Jester", right? - Good grief, it's been over 22 years since "the good ol' Yahoo days". Ron.
Yes indeedy! He came to a Reading meet for the first time a couple years ago and was probably 'rebitten' by the bug, as it were. The car needs a few things here and there, but overall is in great shape. This will be his second SVX since selling his first in 2000, so yeah, it's been over 20 years for him, and that's probably around the time the Yahoo Club was fully committed to its final descent.