SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-09-2018, 05:03 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Every member please check in here!

I miss Desert Runner's posts of off road escapades. Wish I had copied some of his photos. Just get site not found messages now.
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)

Last edited by bwb3; 07-09-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:04 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb3 View Post
I miss Desert Runner's posts of off road escapades. Wish I had copied some of his photos. Just get site not found messages now.

Yes that is strange Gene, I found the threads and posted those, but now they won’t go there.
You can find them be looking up “Dessertrunner”, or “Dynomatt” on the “Members” list, go to their profile, look up the “Threads started by”.
The one Ben would need is called “SVX gravel car...surely not? Absolutely..”.
Cheers.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:43 PM

Awesome to see an SVX family!

I recently purchased a 1993 Anniversary Edition. All original except radio.

Back in the early 90's, I bought a 92 almost new and drove that for a few years. I always regretted selling it. So, now finally bought my way back into one.

My account was just verified today; so thought I would post something in celebration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru oldtimer View Post
Rick from just north of San Fransisco CA.

I just registered with the site the other day but have been lurking here for the last few months researching potential repairs for my original SVX after getting it back from my son who drove it for about 10 years through HS and college until he got his BRZ. This is a 92 Liquid Silver Ls-L with 199,xxx miles and growing. Stock except the radio he put in and SVX spoiler added later.

I also have a 96 LSI in Bordeaux Pearl with 222,xxx miles and growing. Completely stock.

Also have a complete new engine that has never been in a vehicle nor even had oil in it. This was used as a training engine at one of the many Subaru Technician training centers.

Speaking of lurking. I may be new to the site but I am not new to Subaru or new to this group's existence. I was actually present at your 10 year event held at SIA in Indiana and lurked there during your visit to the plant. (Picture attached) As the senior representative for SOA running the Logistics operations in Lafayette I attended your QA with the FHI engineers and SIA staff sitting quietly in the back of the room just in case there were SOA related questions. Still work for SOA, just in a a new location.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SVX.pdf (1.88 MB, 585 views)
Old 10-05-2018, 04:24 PM

Hello!
I am the proud owner of 2 SVX's. A 1997 and a 1995. The 97' I bought was from a user on this board, John Coan. Fell in love with the car, wanted to redo the body on it but it got away from me so I decided to buy the 95 which is rust free. I'll drive the one in the winter and store the other. Love the cars, never heard of them or seen them honestly until I stumbled upon Coan's craigslist ad.
Funny story about that, John, and this board is that I was looking for information on how to swap the manual button to power mode, as I knew my original SVX had it but I wanted to do it on my new one. Found some helpful pictures posted here and then I realized those helpful pictures were literally from my first car.

Any tips on replacing a left side knock sensor?

That's all, happy to be here.

http://imagehost.cc/image/ahiHO

Last edited by Shiro; 10-05-2018 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Trying to figure out pictures.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:34 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiro View Post
Hello!

Any tips on replacing a left side knock sensor?
This may help. Other links a couple of posts down in the thread.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=Knock+sensor
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:02 AM

I got to drive a silver 1992 SVX LS-L AWD when they first came out. I also ground the starter where it was running already when it was pulled around. It made quite an impression then. So this summer I was keeping my options open for my next vehicle since I restored a 1995 Jeep Wrangler Sahara and made $4000 on it when I sold it.

I ran across my new toy, of which the prior owner only put 4000 miles on the vehicle before the starter went out. I ran across it on Craiglist in June 2018 and on a whim I checked it out. In the glove compartment I found where the previous owner prior to this one had all major service performed at 166,000 miles. I bought it even when it was unable to be started.

Had it towed into the dealership that I have worked for since February of 2012. I’ve had our service department thoroughly go over it mechanically. Mechanically I lack replacing the muffler and having the 2 new dual tip exhaust outlets mounted. Where I manage the body shop for the dealership, I’ve made it the shop project for the body techs to get extra hours when they need it for working out the exterior body panels. In my spare time I work on modifying the interior myself. I hope to be driving it full time by this Christmas 2018.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-Nov-progress.jpg (76.1 KB, 939 views)

Last edited by svxcess; 11-20-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:41 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Welcome aboard! (That's not Eric's car is it?)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 11-20-2018, 03:57 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
Welcome aboard! (That's not Eric's car is it?)
Nope, Huck. Mine is still in the garage on a trickle charger waiting for anyone else to decide they want it. I think I've run one tankful of gas through it the past year.

TimsToy: Which JC is that? TN, TX or another?

Last edited by MCMXCII SVX; 11-20-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:15 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCII SVX View Post
Nope, Huck. Mine is still in the garage on a trickle charger waiting for anyone else to decide they want it. I think I've run one tankful of gas through it the past year.

TimsToy: Which JC is that? TN, TX or another?
Well Eric, if you still have yours when the Dragon Rolls around, I expect to see you there! (It'll need a good drive to clear out the cobwebs )
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 12-22-2018, 09:25 PM

Hi all! I've just got my 1997 Subaru SVX LSi on the road, safe and legal. Just took her on a nice little 200 mile trip. What a joy it is to drive this car. After sitting in a salvage yard for 3 years, I had no idea what I was getting into, but the story so far has been that it's needed a lot less work than I anticipated. I won't go into too much detail about the buying process (maybe that should be its own post) but when I purchased the car I bought it sight unseen with an unknown no start condition and three different kinds of tires.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Welcome officially to THE Network, Louis.

Congratulations on taking that leap of faith and realizing this dream. Glad you were able to save a good one from destruction.

Beginning a relationship like this is not for the faint of heart these days, considering the lack of competent mechanics and an ever-dwindling supply of parts. Much easier 15 years ago.

You are going to like it here. Others have tried to imitate us, but will never duplicate us.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 12-22-2018, 11:35 PM

Thanks very much. I appreciate the welcome. My goal is to maintain an all-stock build as much as possible. My main concerns, come the spring, will be to look at my options for restoring a few small dings and paint chips, as well as some fade on the roof, and reattaching the rear spoiler (although perhaps only for special occasions, as I personally prefer not having a spoiler.)
Old 12-23-2018, 11:57 AM

Johnny 92 SVX

in the process of buying a 92 from a estate sale, the car hasnt moved since 2007, hoping its going to be a hidden gem, interior is about a 8 , exterior is a 8 with bad paint as you could imagine in the southern california desert, I have taken a battery out to this car and tried to start her with no luck, no fuel pressure, changed out the fuel pump and blew out the lines and she started....rough but running.....positive signs I hope
Old 12-23-2018, 02:55 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Good start, hope it all goes well for you.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:52 PM
Tom

Hi y'all...just got my second Subaru. My 2000 Outback was sandwiched in an accident and it was totaled so I started looking for a Subaru to replace it and found a nice 1996 SVX with 205,107 miles. Runs great and I'm learning a lot about it on this site. I do have a few things that need fixing and will we seeking answers here on this site. Thanks for a great site!!!
Sky9pilot