Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2003, 12:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to speedracer
ok

I started it... not one bubble. it got up to reg. operating temp and i put the cap on. the top hose was starting to get hot. I didn't keep it running because there is a small hole and it steams like a locamotive, and it was starting too... the fans didn't kick on at all.

should i keep it running longer and see if it does make noise?
I checked the 25A fuses, they are fine. They had some white goo on them(i assume that is to protect from water/moisture)

how do I check sensors and relays?
Old 04-06-2003, 12:49 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
If it was steaming from the hole try letting it run with the cap off, but be careful to not remove it when the coolant is under pressure or you can be severely burned. The main objective is to see if the fans come on before the needle reaches the red zone. Or you can insert a meat thermometer in the top of the radiator. The fans should turn on before the temp reaches, say, 210°. The coolant will be expanding and overflowing at this point, so be prepared for spillage.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:13 AM

okey dokey

I will try this tomorrow. I have to call it a night. must work in the morning. I will try in the evening and report my findings. Thank you very much for your help. I am learning. darn time change!
Old 04-06-2003, 10:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Re: ok, this is what i got

Are you talking about the pin numbers? Both fans should behave identically when being tested out of circuit. If you get a spark but no action, chances are, something is shorted inside the fan.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
the a/c fan (passenger side) i got 3 different speeds...

the driver side fan. the number 1 and 4 worked. but nuber 2 did not; all i got was a spark and no fan.

I at least know that i don't have to buy new fans... that's a load off.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:36 PM

Little help please

Where did everyone go? Please help

Yes, the pin numbers from the schematic. I unplugged them from the fan motor and tested them with some wire.

I just started the car, this is what i got: I started the car, and took the cap off the check water temp.
the temp at reg running temp (according to temp gauge in car, a little less than half way)

The fans never turned on. I turned on the heat and the a/c at full speed, no fan. the temp didn't increase, but there was also lots of water in the rad.

the hose going from the top of the rad to the engine was Hot and soft. The bottom one was not as hot and also soft. I don't know if that means anything, but I just want to put in what i saw.

Last edited by speedracer; 04-08-2003 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:37 PM

Help, help... don't forget me

So, now that i know that it isn't my fan motor, what do i do? What is the next thing that i should do?
Old 04-09-2003, 06:18 PM

Do you even hear the fan relays click when the fans should kick on? You might want to check the relay holder and relays. Pins 1 and 3 on the relay are the coil, where you apply 12v and ground. Pins 2 and 4 are the input and output. Pin 2 of all relay sockets should read 12V. If not, there is a problem with the fan fuses. Pin 3 of each socket should be the trigger pin, but I can't tell whether they should read 12 or ground when active, since the diagram seems to have omitted where pin 1 terminates. I guess this is another one of those "errors" in the manuals that are so often spoken of?

KuoH
Old 04-09-2003, 07:34 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
If the temp never got higher than half-way why would you expect the fans to run? The fans won't come on until the water is hot enough to require them, usually most cars are around 215. Look at the chart.

The top hose is where the hot water exits the engine. Cooler water is available from the bottom of the radiator. The thermostat is located at the engine end of the lower hose. As long as there is cool water coming in from the radiator, as required, the temp won't be high enough to trigger the fans. From what you've typed you haven't allowed the engine to fully warm up. If this is true you may be chasing your tail.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:48 PM

But he mentioned that he did turn on the AC and still the fans didn't run. According to the second chart and my own test, the fans should kick on when the AC is on.

KuoH
Old 04-09-2003, 09:01 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Another sure-fire way to test if the fans are working would be to unplug the engine temp sensor. Without that sensor the engine will go into a safe mode and run both fans. (Check Engine should also light up)
Old 04-09-2003, 11:09 PM

sweet thanx

Ok, where is the engine temp sensor? I will try to unplug it when the engine is running.

yes, i did run the a/c on high when the engine was at running temp. still no dice.

I asked about the water pump.... could that be part of the problem? I may just be showing my ignorance, but it's worth a shot.

the temp i took was when the guage was about halfway, isn't that reg. temp?
Old 04-10-2003, 06:03 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
#8 here.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:51 AM

ok

I'll look for that when i get home tonight.

I can't really tell from the picture; i am sure i'll figure it out, but do i have to take anything apart?

So i follow the water hose from the engine to the radiator and find the sensor? I'll look and report my findings, or inability to find.
thanx
Old 04-10-2003, 08:46 PM

duh

I don't know where this is... i am lost. Where do i find this thing? please give me landmarks.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:36 PM

Exclamation BINGO!!!!!!

I found that sucker! I had to unplug the temp guage thing above it to make sure i had the right one, but i got it!

when i unpluged the water temp control: the tempo of the engine changed, but the fan motors did not come on. Will a new water temp sensor correct that fan problem?