How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-02-2003, 06:27 PM
RRX

Wierd whining/howling noise on hard acceleration

Under normal driving my car is fine...shifts smoothly ect...When I accelerate semi-hard, I can feel a slight vibration that seems to get worse the higher the rpms...When I accelerate hard, there is a loud whining type of noise that is hard to describe..It goes away when I let of the gas. Any thoughts? I scheduled an appointment with Subaru for next week.. Im kinda worried.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:45 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
From which area of the car does it sound like it's coming from? Does it make a difference if the FWD fuse is in or not?
Old 04-03-2003, 05:58 PM
RRX

It sounds like it may be comming from the the front or under the car. I haven't tried pulling the fuse yet.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Registered Abuser

Does it sound like a bearing noise, but not a wheel bearing? Does it increase with road speed or engine speed?
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims
Old 04-03-2003, 07:40 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
In actuality you INSERT a fuse to force FWD only. That would likely eliminate the transfer case and everything back like the driveshaft, rear diff...

If it's coming from the front then I hope the front diff or tranny isn't going out!

Good luck in getting it properly diagnosed before it gets worse.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:24 AM
RRX

Quote:
Originally posted by elninoalex
Does it sound like a bearing noise, but not a wheel bearing? Does it increase with road speed or engine speed?
Its not the bearings. It only makes noise if I punch the gas hard. Other than that its fine. It shifts fine though. I hope its not the front diff or tranny. Guess I'll find out.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:23 AM
Registered Abuser

Sounds like it could be a pinion shaft flange bearing. Costs about $150, but requires removal and partial disassembly of the tranny. Of course that's based on very little info. Happened to me on my SVX and a Sentra.
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims
Old 07-20-2003, 11:11 PM
jtn628

Unhappy

Hey RRX,

I think I have the exact same problem as you. Under heavy acceleartion (>2500 rpm, >80mph), I can feel vibrations on the gas pedal and the front of my car. The faster I go, the more vibrations I can feel. The vibrations disappear as soon as I let go of the gas.

Have you figured out what the problem was with your SVX?

Thanks,

James
96 SVX LSI
42k miles
Old 07-22-2003, 08:35 AM
RRX

I took in in and they said I have a hole in my exhaust. Somehow the previous owner must have scraped it. Subaru said they will leave it alone because they may have to replace the whole exhaust if they try to fix it?? I'd rather buy an aftermarket one. I also found out I have an oil gasket leak, and need to replace my timing belt and water pump. All that stuff costs like 1100 bucks.

With mine, it vibrates a tad and makes a noise. Yours appears to be quite. I would cross my fingers and take to to subaru and see what they say.

Last edited by RRX; 07-22-2003 at 08:46 AM.