How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-21-2003, 06:16 PM
Superbeast

Engine vibrating ?

Ok. Now I thing I have found the resone for all my little funny problems. I thought I had a hesitation wile crusing at 3,000rpms at slow speeds, I thought I had a thumping in the rear end when driving up my driveway in first gear at about 2,000rpms, and I could not get my damn shifter to stop ratling. Then thursday night I installed my STI tranny mount and found out that all the problems are actually the engine shaking. You can feel it a little at an idle it sounds like two distinct thumps, then as you bring up the rpms at around 2,000rpms it really bad, starts rattling things inside the car. It stays that way up till about 3,000rpms and it starts to get to the point where it's spinning fast enough to make the vibrating fade away. It becomes a rythmeck hum.

Now it dosn't seem like a skip at all, the motor runs great. I'v heard that the STI mount makes a little more noise but this just dosn't seem normal at all. I want to think that maybe the flywheels out of balance, but that dosen't seem likely becouse it came off my Legacy and seemed fine on there. I allways assumed that 2.2s and 3.3s where internally balanced and the flywheels do nothing to balance the engine,right? And I haven't heard any one else complain of this problem when they did there 5speed swap.

So any info on what the cause might be will be appriciated. Only 3 weeks left and I got to get this thing straitned out.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 03-21-2003, 07:37 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

If you haven't tried fuel injector cleaner, it may help. I think your engine is not out of balance. For that to happen something would have to bend, like a connecting rod or bearing would have to be going. Not likely. Is there any change in the vibration when the engine is under load verse just sitting in the driveway rev'g the engine?
Old 03-21-2003, 07:44 PM
Superbeast

I belive the vibration is always there. Like I said, I thought I had other problems untill I installed the mount and realized it was just the motor vibrating. Yes it seems very unlikely that any thing is bent. I just wondering if anyone else with a five speed and the STI mount is feeling this vibration or if I definitly have a problem, becouse I didn't really notice it with the normal mount.

Old 03-21-2003, 08:54 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I bet the women really like you car as a result
Old 03-22-2003, 10:33 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Have you checked the engine mounts?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:02 PM
Superbeast

I got other things for the women to love, besides I don't want to drive it till I figure it out. I don't want to wipe out the bearings or something. The motor mounts are good it's just the damn engine shakes. WHY?

Old 03-22-2003, 03:13 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
I got other things for the women to love, besides I don't want to drive it till I figure it out. I don't want to wipe out the bearings or something. The motor mounts are good it's just the damn engine shakes. WHY?
Since the engine runs fine, maybe its tranny related? Flexplate? Failing Torque Converter?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:16 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

Since the engine runs fine, maybe its tranny related? Flexplate? Failing Torque Converter?
Ah, I see you have a 5 speed. Could be the flywheel. Maybe a piece of something came off the clutch disc? What happens when you rev the motor with the clutch pushed in?

Visit my locker

Old 03-22-2003, 03:18 PM
Superbeast

Um. I guess I didn't specify, It has a five speed in it. I'm thinking maybe flywheel but how the hell does a flywheel get out of balance?

Old 03-22-2003, 07:22 PM

Missing gear teeth, missing bolts, missing some other part that spins, not aligned to the engine.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:08 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

Ah, I see you have a 5 speed. Could be the flywheel. Maybe a piece of something came off the clutch disc? What happens when you rev the motor with the clutch pushed in?
It still does it if I put it in gear with the clutch pushed down, so I know it's not the driveline or clutch. It could be the pressue plate but it works fine so I doubt it. I can't see any unusual movment of the flywheel, like it's coming loose or anything. I wish I had another flywheel and clutch set to stick on it put the pull type set up isn't that easy to come by and I don't have the money to get new stuff right now. So all I could really do is pull the tranny and check the stuff but I don't know if i'll find anything just by looking. Still looking for the answer and only 3 weeks left.

Old 03-24-2003, 09:16 PM
Superbeast

No suggestions yet? I played with it this weekend trying to move the flywheel with a pry bar, just the normal crankshaft play?
If I don't get any good ideas by thursday I'm gona pull the tranny and check everything in there, but I don't want to so somebody tell me it's normal with this setup so I can go back to driving my SVX.

Old 03-25-2003, 10:21 AM

I am not that familar with the clutch set-up / fly wheel. On the auto matic theer are 4 bolts that attach the flexplate to the TorqueConverter. I assume you got four bolts attaching the flexplate to the fly wheel.

Are all four four bolts the same length?

The fly wheel always spins with the engine. Right? That is attached the Pressure Plate? What holds the pressure plate and flywheel on center? Isn't there a bushing or something at the ID that allows these parts to spin on a shaft or something? That bushing may be worn open and the flywheel /pressure plate do not rotate on center.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:36 PM
Superbeast

The manual is a little more different than that , but ya there is a pilot bearing that the input shaft rides in but thats all new. I decided to wait till Sunday to pull the tranny and check it out. I figuring it's either normal with the hard mount or the flywheel is loose, witch it dosen't seem to be but I just don't know what else it could be, short of the motor blowing up and I don't want to think that at all.

Old 03-27-2003, 06:17 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Have ya done any holeshots? You may have broken one or more of the straps that connect the actual pressure plate to the cover. You wouldn't be the first to do it if you did. Breakage allows the p plate to go off center and cause the vibes, yet still clamp down and drive the car.