How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-20-2003, 06:37 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Battery's dead..... Really

My car has been in storage for a while now... Everynow and then my Setp dad will go and start it... But when I left NC last week the battery was completly dead... Me step dad said that he would put it on the trickle charger for me and charge it up.... Would that be the best thing to do??? Shouldn't I just take it back to Auto Zone and get another one.... It is under warranty... Also the main thing that I am worried about is all the computers on the car... Constantly removing the battery and isn't bad for them is it?? What about jumping the car?? Is that bad?? I never thought about it till now... Can anyone point me in the right direction???

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-20-2003, 08:08 AM
Green1995SVX

Throwing a trickle charger on it is exactly what I would do. If the car sits there for a while, usually the battery will lose some of its charge. It just depends on how long it is between drives. My SVX sat for about 3 months till last week. It just barely started up (and sounded like a damn diesel for 5 seconds when it did!!). The battery I have in that car is a $120 optima thing thats supposed to be really good.

How old is the battery? If it is more than a couple years old, I would just replace it for good measure.

Mike
Old 03-20-2003, 08:59 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Dead battery

Diesel Mike? Think of the torque! Did you run down and fill up your tank with the stinky stuff? I know what you mean though about the startup after a long period of sitting. I've been thinking about trying some of that Lucas Oil Stabalizer in the XT and letting it sit for a month or so. The stuff it supossed to be engineered to keep the important stuff lubricated for cold/ long periods between start ups. It would be a whole lot easier than pulling plugs and adding some oil then hand cranking the engine a few times.
Old 03-20-2003, 12:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I agree with Mike - just replace the thing to be sure. I replaced my battery about three years ago and then again last weekend. I leave the car parked for long periods of time, and eventually the battery won't hold a charge any more. The SVX is pretty demanding of its battery, so it seems to wear them out within a few years.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE