Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Best cap for PWR radiator

After reading through numerous threads on the PWR radiators, what is the final consensus on the best cap, installation requirements, cutting lower bushings in half, replacing overflow tank hose barb...
Would one of those nice engraved "STi" caps work?
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 05-10-2011, 12:44 PM

Re: Best cap for PWR radiator

I cut the lower bushings and use the stock cap , only with the wings placed on in one direction. Steve
Old 05-10-2011, 12:55 PM

Registered SVX

I got a cap for the radiator on a WRX. The WRX has 2 radiator caps; one on the radiator itself(the one I ordered), and one on a surge tank on top of the intake manifold. The cap has no ears on it. The pressure rating on the cap is a bit higher, but I haven't noticed any issues because of it. When I get home, I can post the pressure rating and part # for anyone interested.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

My radiator cap keeps blowing off of my secret aluminium radiator. Do I need a different one than stock that is built for higher pressure?
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 05-10-2011, 01:54 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by processengr View Post
After reading through numerous threads on the PWR radiators, what is the final consensus on the best cap, installation requirements, cutting lower bushings in half, replacing overflow tank hose barb...
Would one of those nice engraved "STi" caps work?
I didn't cut the lower bushings, although I might now. The hoses also fit kinda weird, you might want to cut the upper one to shorten it so it fits better. Also, you have to cut some of the fan surround for both hoses to fit comfortably, and I'd recommend putting the hoses on before the fans to make sure that they fit right. I didn't change the hose barb for the overflow tank, I just tightened the clamp really well.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I've had a stock cap with one ear cut off for a long time now without problems. Have to tighten it all the way or you might have problems.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:54 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
I've had a stock cap with one ear cut off for a long time now without problems. Have to tighten it all the way or you might have problems.
Oh yea I forgot to mention, I've been using a stock cap with an ear cut off. The ear to cut off is the one that points more toward the front of the car when it's tightened all the way (they're diagonal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
I got a cap for the radiator on a WRX. The WRX has 2 radiator caps; one on the radiator itself(the one I ordered), and one on a surge tank on top of the intake manifold. The cap has no ears on it. The pressure rating on the cap is a bit higher, but I haven't noticed any issues because of it. When I get home, I can post the pressure rating and part # for anyone interested.
I would like that part #.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 05-10-2011, 09:19 PM

Registered SVX

Sorry so late. The # is: 45137FE002. It is 137 kPa which is 19.87 psi.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:43 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Got a pic by any chance?

Old 05-10-2011, 09:49 PM

Registered SVX

I am using a stock cap with one the ear bent down.

The stock cap with the bent ear works ok but if I slam the hood down, sometime it will leak from the cap.

The car came with the PWR radiator when I got it.
The previous owner gave me the PWR cap but I have to use the stock one..

Why don't these radiators fit right so they work with the caps they came with??
Is there a way to make them fit with the caps they came with?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
Why don't these radiators fit right so they work with the caps they came with??
Is there a way to make them fit with the caps they came with?
They got lazy halfway through building it and never double-checked anything.

Yes, cut off the front ear.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:04 PM

Registered SVX

No, I mean make them work with the shinny silver caps the PWR came with?

I saw someone say something about cutting bushing or something.

I just want to know if there is any way to use the PWR cap on the PWR without it hitting the hood.
Is there no easy way to lower radiator it 1/2" so the real cap will fit?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:22 PM

Registered SVX

Yes, you are supposed to be able to cut the lower rad support bushings so that the radiator will sit a bit lower. But many of us have just cut one ear off the radiator cap (either stock or the PWR one). The cap still works just fine, it just looks a tad ghetto like that. If I were you I'd order the WRX cap that dragoontwo posted the part number of. In fact I'm going to do that once I can find a place that sells them that doesn't charge $10 for shipping. The motor and radiator are out of my car so I'm also going to go ahead and cut the bushings down to size.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:02 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Is this higher than the stock SVX cap pressure rating?
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 05-11-2011, 08:36 AM

Registered SVX

I believe it is. I never had the stock cap, so maybe someone could chime in here. I think that the stock cap should be rated somewhere around 15 psi.

Pic: