How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-20-2002, 10:48 PM
fongangus

Changing Coolant

I am going to change the coolant. I read the Chilton's manual and it said SVX has 2 coolant plugs. Is that true? And does the SVX has the coolant air pressure plug to release the preesure of the coolant? Please share some experience for me. Thanks.

ps: I am gonna use the redline water wetter.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:11 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Dees ees wot dee manuel says (don't let the preesure get to you ):

With engine cool, open radiator drain plug and drain coolant into a suitable container.
Remove radiator pressure cap. Never open cap with engine hot .
Remove and drain coolant reservoir.
If equipped, remove drain plug(s) from engine. When coolant is completely drained, install the plug(s).
Close radiator drain plug.
Install coolant reservoir.
Slowly add coolant to radiator until fluid level reaches filler neck.
Slowly add coolant to reservoir until fluid level reaches Full mark.
Install radiator and reservoir caps.
Start and run engine at 2000-3000 RPM. When operating temperature is achieved, stop the engine.
With engine cool, remove radiator and reservoir caps. Never open cap with engine hot .
Add coolant as needed until fluid level is as specified in steps 7 and 8.
Install radiator and reservoir caps.

Antifreeze doesn't wear out, however its anti-corrosion package does, that's the main reason for replacing it every two years. Many shops recycle the antifreeze (run it through a filter, basically) in order to avoid haz-mat disposal fees. After it has been recycled they add an anti-corrosion package and you're good for another couple years.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:00 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Beav,

1. If I drain my coolant and replace it myself, what is a 'suitable disposal method?'

2. Is there a coolant drain plug on the engine?

3. When I drained the coolant in my GL, I used a garden hose to flush the whole system out. Any reason I can't do this with the SVX?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-21-2002, 08:29 AM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Beav,

1. If I drain my coolant and replace it myself, what is a 'suitable disposal method?'

2. Is there a coolant drain plug on the engine?

3. When I drained the coolant in my GL, I used a garden hose to flush the whole system out. Any reason I can't do this with the SVX?
1. It varies by location. Some want you to bottle it up and save it for Reclamation Day. Others have disposal centers. Sometimes the best thing to do is to take it to your local quick-lube joint and pawn it off on them. Just don't pour it down the drain or on the ground - it contains a number of heavy metals that can poison the water table. Also be careful to keep it away from Fido, Kitty and the Kiddies, it tastes sweet to them and will crystalize their livers and/or kidneys.

2. I don't know, most cars do though. I'm off today (off? as in I'm not off even on the days I work? heheheh) and I'm too lazy to crawl around on the ground to look. I'll try to pull into the shop tomorrow and take a pic or two if I get the chance.

3. No problem with that, however if the system isn't nasty it shouldn't be necessary. Besides, you were planning on bottling that stuff up and taking it to the recycling center weren't you? We get away with doing it because our floor drains run into a collection cistern and are pumped out by a hazmat company when necessary.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
3. No problem with that, however if the system isn't nasty it shouldn't be necessary. Besides, you were planning on bottling that stuff up and taking it to the recycling center weren't you? We get away with doing it because our floor drains run into a collection cistern and are pumped out by a hazmat company when necessary.
Well I drained as much as I could from the GL before I hosed it (HA). When I did that, I got a hell of a lot of sediment, but didn't see much green.

Most of the sediment was from a blown water pump. It had been replaced before I took posession of the car. And, let me tell you, I sure am glad I took it. Otherwise there'd be nothing sitting behind the garage rusting to pieces. I was just so thrilled when I visited the car a few weeks ago and found that the shift linkage had rotted apart.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-21-2002, 10:12 AM
Not as old as Randy

You could always hack the top off of it and turn it into a planter or a sandbox or something...
Old 05-21-2002, 03:24 PM
Not as old as Randy

I just peeked under the skirts - there are two drains, one on either side. I wouldn't bother on my car, but that's me. I suppose if the coolant looked nasty enough to consider pulling the drains, I'd probably rather back-flush it instead. Just remember, I don't have to pay to do that though, so...
Old 05-21-2002, 03:33 PM
Not as old as Randy

BTW - the best part of stopping by the shop was being put to work for the remainder of the afternoon..... so long, day off...
Old 05-21-2002, 04:13 PM

engine drain plugs

...are best left alone (in my humble opinion) UNLESS they are ALREADY(!!!!!!) LEAKING (and it is no fun when you are leaking from the block!) because you will get 99% of any solids out of the system when you backflush (or "just" flush) the system. Go ahead & flush away! Once the old anti-freeze is out of there you can use one of the radiator flush products per the directions, then flush away. You can even drive it around with just the water in it until it warms up and then drain and flush it, again. After you drain it the last time put in enough 100% anti-freeze to approximately 50% of the total capacity (7.4 quarts) and then fill with H20. I've used 1 gallon (which works out to 54%) of anti-freeze and have never seen anything but clean green when I drain it. I do this every 2 years in the Fall and don't ever remember seeing the temp gauge ever going past the normal middle of the range. Living in Oregon we don't see much 90+ or under 20 degree weather so I can't really claim this works as well in Phoenix or Fairbanks... Those guys are much more environmentally "challenged". When it is on sale with a rebate I buy the green stuff for about a net cost of $3 per gallon, so it costs less than an home oil change with a quality oil. I am a firm believer that this also extends the water pump life. Mighty cheap to replace one when you are replacing the timing belt vs. when stranded on the road with a blown radiator and a toasted tranny.

Good luck!
Old 05-21-2002, 06:45 PM
fongangus

Has anybody tried the redline water wetter in the SVX?
And can I use 70%distilled water+30%coolant in Summer?
Old 05-21-2002, 08:50 PM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Originally posted by fongangus
Has anybody tried the redline water wetter in the SVX?
And can I use 70%distilled water+30%coolant in Summer?
Why water wetter and why run less than 50-50?
Old 05-22-2002, 07:11 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Beav the Psychic

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav

1. It varies by location. Some want you to bottle it up and save it for Reclamation Day. Others have disposal centers. Sometimes the best thing to do is to take it to your local quick-lube joint and pawn it off on them. Just don't pour it down the drain or on the ground - it contains a number of heavy metals that can poison the water table. Also be careful to keep it away from Fido, Kitty and the Kiddies, it tastes sweet to them and will crystalize their livers and/or kidneys. ..[snip]..
You must be psychic. You've answered a question I had, without my even having to ask! Well, at least until I got down to the local oil change facility. Now I know what to do with bucket of coolant sitting in the garage.

And good point about not letting it sit around where some unsuspecting critter, human or otherwise, can get to it. We almost lost one of the Siberians once who got into something during an escape she had made. Vet thought it might have been a little anti-freeze. A little more of whatever it was, and we probably would have lost her.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 05-22-2002, 04:12 PM
Not as old as Randy

I've been called a lot of things (as most of you can imagine) but this is a first!
Old 05-22-2002, 08:27 PM
fongangus

Isn't that 70(H2O)-30(C) is cooler than 50-50?
Old 05-23-2002, 12:24 AM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Originally posted by fongangus
Isn't that 70(H2O)-30(C) is cooler than 50-50?
Nope, 50-50 is your best bet. Save a gallon milk jug or similar to mix it up in, it'll be easier to work with.