SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Pocono Track Day

Had a terrific track day at Pocono yesterday with Performance Driving Associates (PDA). Back in action after a brief hiatus due to a dislocated elbow acquired on the mean steets of NYC (also very slippery when wet). They had all 3 subtracks open, and each run group got two 30 minute sessions on each of the 3 tracks. That's three hours of seat time. I was toasted at the end on the day. The SVX was down a touch on brake fluid, and actually, I think my front pads are toasted too. Otherwise in good shape. It did try to run hot a couple of times, but I made sure, that when I came off the track, I would drive around at slow speed in a high gear for a short time. No boil-overs, Thanks for the advice about the Water Wetter adn removing the grille. A tank and a half of gas expended for a good purpose. Below is a map

The north course is run clockwise and the other two are run counterclockwise. The banked oval turn on the south track is particularly steep.

Here I am after my first session. Pretty nice NSX next to me

Some really nice machinery there. Here is a Superformance S1 Lotus 7 knock-off:

Here is a really nice Ferrari 360 track car:

and here is a clutch of Lotuses, two Elises and an Exige: One of the Elises was in my run group, but I couldn't stay with him, especially on the very twisty East course. See the SVX in the background:

Took a half hour ride with an instructor in his c5 Z06 on the north course, He hit about 135 or more at the end of the long straight. Got a little rear end coming around, powering out of the turns. That was arush.

Performance wise, the car did very well. I was running with a '95 M3 before he broke a strut tower. He said I was following him around very closely on the twisty bits, but he thought when we got to the long straight he would walk away, but he was really suprised when I creeped up on him and he had to give me a point around. Even passed some c5 Corvettes in the hands of very noobie drivers. In the North course long straight, am well over 105 now, but the important thing is the cornering speed. Just learning how to use trail breaking, which is very very useful in this reliably understeering car. In the right places, it can bring the rear end around just enough to get you pointed better at the turn apex and and allow you to drift out under full power, with less power-on understeer coming out of the turn. That was particularly useful on the East course, which is very twisty. Didn't like it the first run, car just doesn't want to turn that fast, and I would lose a lot of momentum on the tight ones. The trail braking, that I started to use in the second run really helped out.

This is a good car. It suprises a lot of people with how fast it is, both on the straights and in the turns. I was drifting a little close to the wall coming out onto the superspeedway on the North course, and my instructor kind of flinched. I told her that I wsn't worried, because if I got too close I could just lift off a little bit. She flinched even bigger, being a Porsche person, but I reassured her, it's AWD, no lift-off oversteer, just less drift and a slightly tighter line. It holds its own with a lot of cars and it is very easy to drive.

Next month, Watkins Glen.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold

Last edited by shotgunslade; 08-19-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Dan,
You're just having too much fun! Have you thought about going to better tires? The new Toyos are being used in several SCCA road racing classes. Seems like you're rapidly reaching the limits of the KDWs
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Nice write-up and great pics Dan! Awesome!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Seems like you're rapidly reaching the limits of the KDWs
I'd have to agree. His driving skills are definitely taking him to the limits of his current tires...

Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 08-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Bill and Chike:

I think you are probably right about the tires. I think I'm going to go with a dedicated track day tire. Don't know if I'm going to R compound, but at a minimum, it'll be a dry tire as opposed to a wet/dry tire like the KDW2's

As the KDW2's heat up, they get a little slippery. Kind of like running around a gym floor in wool socks. You're never quite solidly connected. But it's like skiing on ice. It forces you to develop good technique. Otherwise, you fall on your a$$. You know you're entering a new realm when it loosens up like that, but you're still under control, and you think about what you can do to keep the momentum even while you're loose. I've definitely got a lot more learning to get under my belt. I'm just very pleased with the car that I've put together with so much help and advice from this network. Chike, Tom, Tom, and Bill and others have really been there for me and my car. Now, I get to reap the benefits, and it's a blast. I want to try Autocross sometime, but you AutoX'ers ought to try a track day. It's a little pricey, but you get anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours of seat time, with an instructor, and if your car is set up for autocross, you should be fine on a larger track. Andy there's nothing like a 4-wheel drift on a medium speed turn, with those tires singing to you, and you controlling the drift with your right foot.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 08-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
I think you need to get a way to make a video of a course run, or a video of you in a few corners atleast... I'd love to see you and the car in action, and I'm sure others here would as well

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)
Old 08-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade
Bill and Chike:

I think you are probably right about the tires. I think I'm going to go with a dedicated track day tire. Don't know if I'm going to R compound, but at a minimum, it'll be a dry tire as opposed to a wet/dry tire like the KDW2's

As the KDW2's heat up, they get a little slippery. Kind of like running around a gym floor in wool socks. You're never quite solidly connected. But it's like skiing on ice. It forces you to develop good technique. Otherwise, you fall on your a$$. You know you're entering a new realm when it loosens up like that, but you're still under control, and you think about what you can do to keep the momentum even while you're loose. I've definitely got a lot more learning to get under my belt. I'm just very pleased with the car that I've put together with so much help and advice from this network. Chike, Tom, Tom, and Bill and others have really been there for me and my car. Now, I get to reap the benefits, and it's a blast. I want to try Autocross sometime, but you AutoX'ers ought to try a track day. It's a little pricey, but you get anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours of seat time, with an instructor, and if your car is set up for autocross, you should be fine on a larger track. Andy there's nothing like a 4-wheel drift on a medium speed turn, with those tires singing to you, and you controlling the drift with your right foot.
Dan,
maybe next year for track time...given the distance I have to travel to get to Summit Point, I'm going to be looking for a trailer to get "BillStock" there. With the 275/45s, oil cooler (sitting in a box waiting to be installed), seats/5 point harness, and "special engine" for next year it should be fun. Harry (NEWSVX) and the Washington, D.C. Mercedes Benz club have track days at Summit every year.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 08-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Bill:

You are about as far from Summit Point as I am from Pocono. Takes just about 2 hours when there isn't any traffic. I'll probably just carry my race wheels in the car when I get to that point. Don't have a trailer and don't have anything that will pull a trailer. Just looked at my tires. Need to rotate front to back, but I think I'll make it throug h2 more track days on them. So, its a wintertime project.

Dan

Old 08-20-2006, 12:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tony117s Send a message via MSN to Tony117s
not to be an @$$ but that isn't a 360 challenge its a 355 challenge
'00 Green Forester S 78k
Old 08-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

About the Ferrari, Sorry, my mistake.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:25 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Bill:

You are about as far from Summit Point as I am from Pocono. Takes just about 2 hours when there isn't any traffic. I'll probably just carry my race wheels in the car when I get to that point. Don't have a trailer and don't have anything that will pull a trailer. Just looked at my tires. Need to rotate front to back, but I think I'll make it throug h2 more track days on them. So, its a wintertime project.

Dan
Dan,
I'm a solid 3 hours from Summit Point when there isn't any traffic. Two hours away and I'd be there on a regular basis
-Bill

My Locker
Old 08-21-2006, 01:37 AM

Registered SVX
[QUOTE

I think I'm going to go with a dedicated track day tire. Don't know if I'm going to R compound, but at a minimum, it'll be a dry tire as opposed to a wet/dry tire like the KDW2's

As the KDW2's heat up, they get a little slippery. Kind of like running around a gym floor in wool socks. You're never quite solidly connected. But it's like skiing on ice. It forces you to develop good technique. [/QUOTE]

Greetings Dan,

I doubt that you will gain any prizes for faster lap times. Fun is the name of your game and more grip will spoil the fun.

You have mentioned "trail braking", a term which I have not run across. Could you please explain.

Thanks and keep having fun, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-21-2006, 05:52 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Trevor:

Trail braking, undoubtedly a US term for an age-old technique, means continuing to apply light brake pressure after you have completed your main straight-line deceleration and have initiated your turn in. It keeps the rear unweighted, so the turn-in will tend to throw the rear end out a little bit, just a bit of oversteer. Obviously, too much brake pressure, and you'll come completely around, even in an SVX, but I'm beginning the long quest to learn just how much will redirect me directly toward the apex without scrubbing off as much speed as the standard understeering turn and will allow me to get back on the accelerator sooner.

Forgive me for going into far more detail than I'm sure you needed, but I thought there might be some younger folks out there who could benefit from a complete description.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:28 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

This is a great write up, the pictures and the detail is great! Thanks. I ran the south course a few years ago with EMRA. It was a blast! However I had no idea how to drive the way you do! Even though I wasted a lot of speed in the turns, it was great fun and I would do it again. What oil are you racing with?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Maniac modifier

Dan, nice job out there seems like the 5 speed is teaching you a lot more about how to throw the car where you want it. Trevor, I can honestly say that with the 50/50 torque split all the time the 5mt is a WAY different car from the auto and I too had to learn the hard way that if you want the rear to come around you need to use the brakes more than the accelerator. Now this is the exact opposite of my 6mt which has a 35/65 torques split where I don't even need breaks to melt the crap out of my rear tires around tight turns

Tom
Old 08-21-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Trevor:

Trail braking, undoubtedly a US term for an age-old technique, means continuing to apply light brake pressure after you have completed your main straight-line deceleration and have initiated your turn in. It keeps the rear unweighted, so the turn-in will tend to throw the rear end out a little bit, just a bit of oversteer. Obviously, too much brake pressure, and you'll come completely around, even in an SVX, but I'm beginning the long quest to learn just how much will redirect me directly toward the apex without scrubbing off as much speed as the standard understeering turn and will allow me to get back on the accelerator sooner.

Forgive me for going into far more detail than I'm sure you needed, but I thought there might be some younger folks out there who could benefit from a complete description.
Hi Dan
i'm one of those "younger folks" and i will definetly try to benefit from your description! thank You!
p.s. very good writeup!