Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-03-2006, 10:26 AM

Angry Parting out

I see so many svx being parted out and i just don't understand the reason behind it all. you all know they are expensive to fix, why buy if you can't afford them. Or you all can't drive and wreck them or use them for a drag racing which they were not intended for.If you used them for street racing and do mods and still able to afford them all is good. Used parts are ok to have but i see a different one everyday being dismantle for parts. Leave them for the person that wants to enjoy them for what they were made for comfort and touring. I know it is your money and all but just don't buy just so you can say i got one. The trans goes out and you want to part the whole car out. or the wheels bearings goes which i know is very expensive to fix.WOW what are you thinking when you buy one that they last for ever, Yea i am venting but goush folks common sense is what it is about. If you can't pay don't play with the big boys toys, There is not a lot of them left now and if we keep parting them out soon none will be left for others to enjoy.All i am saying is think before you buy. DOLLAR bills is looking at you when you turn the key on so if you can't afford to repair them leave them where they are. Free world and all can do what you all want but think of others before doing to others people hobbies.If it is all rusted or just completely junk i understand all that but just for not being able to repair one does not mean junk it.I got 3 and all are running ok. i had to put some money in them which i knew before hand and that is what i did. I fix them before i drove them now i go where i want with no worries. not saying something can't go wrong but i can afford to fix them if it happens.Sorry if i offened anyone but it is just my 2 cent and you just can't buy a svx part for that. I am not in here to judge anyone or break bad on any one person just in general talk. I like to find out how many are left in a running state now and driven daily. I know 2 of mind are and one is park doing body work on it. I don't drive them all at once--- come on now-- but i do drive them on different days.I got picture's of them in my flapper and in here but never can find them in here. I know i will get some negitive response but all is good i will survive them.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Well, the one that I'm parting out was rear ended by a dodge ram and pushed into the rear of the car infront of it. Both the front and the rear have major damage. I started to part out another car before this one, but when I got it home it wasnt in to bad of shape. I converted it to a 5-speed and sold it at a small loose. Most everyone on here would much rather fix one than part it out. Just in some cases it's really beyond hope and in most cases the parts from one wrecked car help to keep 5 others on the road.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:37 PM

I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
Well, the one that I'm parting out was rear ended by a dodge ram and pushed into the rear of the car infront of it. Both the front and the rear have major damage. I started to part out another car before this one, but when I got it home it wasnt in to bad of shape. I converted it to a 5-speed and sold it at a small loose. Most everyone on here would much rather fix one than part it out. Just in some cases it's really beyond hope and in most cases the parts from one wrecked car help to keep 5 others on the road.
I understand if it is beyond repair or it is not the fault of the owner. In that case sure help out someone in need. I am for that with no problem. but at least try and salvage it so someone can either fix it. Don't just junk one because of the expense of fixing it. Let someone else have a chance to do it and make it road worthy.With parts still around someone just might want to fix it up. It might take a month or 2 for someone to find out one is around to fix up but give it a chance to survive. I explain that in my post before. I replace a trans in one of mind a lot of money but i knew that when i bought it that it could happen. People got to relise this when buying one parts are not cheap and hard to find. I am in the process of getting one more with a bad trans in it but hey it might not be all that bad. 600.00 you can do one yourself if you got the knowledge or know someone that has and willing to give a hand. That is if it just not destroy all the way.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:12 PM

It's simple economics: When the cost of maintenance or repair exceeds the market value of the car, that car's basically junk, and parting it affords the owner an opportunity to make more money than if it were sold whole. Nobody likes that, but it's a fact.

Keeping an old car on the road comes to be a decision made from the heart.

dcb
Old 07-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
OK. I'm kind of feeling that this is somehow being started because of me. Well listen buddy, This damn car is shot to hell in a handbasket. If your Mr. Money bags and think your so damn good and righteous, Why don't you pay me the 1,500 bucks the guy has already wrapped up in it and YOU fix it. It needs a tranny, all the brakes are shot, the struts are completely shot, it blew a power steering line, It's been repainted black over claret and it's not a good paint job at all, the radiator has been cracked and all patched up, the ABS unit is leaking and so on. It's a hopeless cause and should just be used to make the SVX's that are left that much better. I tried to save it and it's out of my hands. I have enough problems just keeping mine on the road. I just did the rear wheel bearings last week which cost me 230 bucks plus I have to do an engine swap soon due to a knocking rod. It takes money and I'm not a rich man, But I always manage to keep my SVX in tip top shape and have about 10K in it now including buying it. So you can take comfort in knowing that at least my SVX will never become parts because I'd throw myself in front of a truck before I'd let it die. You obviously haven't encountered me before and I doubt you want to either,So just quit your friggin crying and ranting and have a cup of because it's all simple math that I shouldn't have to explain to you on why cars get parted.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:01 PM

Really sorry to steal the thread and go completely off subject but... how does a knocking rod sound like from the interior of the car? Like a soft thump thump thump or more of a click?

-a semi-paranoid svx owner
Old 07-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
I'd say it's more of a thumping sound when warmed up and more of a ticking when cold. Mine is very loud though and can be heard quite well. The best way to really hear it is either lay under the oil pan while it's running and listen(think safety when doing this) or run the engine while parked in a garage or next to a wall so it amplifies it and makes it easier to hear what kind of noise it is. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:11 PM

Im guilt as well

Yeah, I agree with a lot of what budfreak is saying. People think I am a monster for doing what I did but I outbid the next bidder by 800.00 to get my svx to part out. Noone wants to pay but everyone wants to cry about "the engine runs a little bit" or the frame only needed a couple thousand dolars of work". There are people that will pay more for an engine than a whole car with an engine. Its supply and demand. When a collector wont buy a car to repair because its worth more in parts.....it gets parted. I have made almost all my investment back of my parts car and I still have yet to sell the engine or transmission. I will probably double my investment after selling them. We dont hate the car generally, its just business.