How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Jeff Koren

Just Venting...

My alternator went this weekend while I was bleeding brakes (hopefully a coincidence) as the dash lights lit up and my partner/wife had to constantly rev the engine to keep it running while bleeding. I took the alternator to Advance Auto Parts and it tested in at a sweet 22+ volts (bad regulator) so now my battery and who else knows may also be toast.

I am beginning to think my baby of 12+ years (92 LS-L, second owner) is on her way out after just 137K miles...
  • Price of steering rack and tie rod replacement…$800 (shop done)
  • Price of rocker cover gaskets and bolt seals/washers…about $100 (subaruparts.com) but still may have an oil leak (see below Still to be done...)
  • Price to remove rocker cover stud still stuck in engine block due to over tightening (see pervious post)…TBD (luckily it is the one closest to the oil filler tube and leaks very little)
  • Price of rear caliper that froze up on me…$60 (Advance Auto Parts)
  • Price of rebuilt alternator…$180 (Advance Auto Parts)

Still to be done…
  • Have a small oil leak that I cannot determine source. It is on the passenger side and I am pretty sure it is not from the power steering hoses
  • Exhaust gaskets around second catalytic converter (have the parts, just need to belly up and do the work). It is not that loud...yet.
  • Timing belt, water pump and seals, and front seals (yes, 137K and all original. I am just starting to get very small leaks)
  • Oh yeah, rear end drivers side is about 1” lower than passenger side, just saw that this weekend, sure that will be a couple $100 and a few blown weekends.

What hurts is when she is running, she runs well. Transmission shifts great (yeah, it is original with the additional filter added) and the interior is 8/10 given it is a 92 (only issue is tear in driver's side seat seam that I 90% sewed back up).

I do have to say thanks to this site once again. It gives me the knowledger and strength to keep fixing her, but please let nothing else break for a while!!! Summer is almost here and I do not want to spend my weekends playing shadetree mechanic, it is fun but too much of anything gets old.