YOU NEED ANOTHER GARAGE!
Old 08-07-2005, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipa
Ahah! <lightning strikes, light bulb finally comes on! >

Your problem isn't the SVX...

(drum roll....)

YOU NEED ANOTHER GARAGE!
Yeah! that would probely be a good start, but I have moved 3 times in the last 5 years and i don't want to do it again anytime soon!
Old 08-16-2005, 12:23 AM
Team ROUND 1

Send a message via Yahoo to 1320boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94svxred
NO ! Thats the biggest problem ! she hates the car!! If she had her way we would be owning a new S55 AMG , but I can't pull the trigger on that payment She thinks it just takes up space !
Dude im so sorry to hear that.
I treat Raven like Arnie did in the movie "Christine"
Old 08-16-2005, 02:54 AM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
lets see, mommy wants an s55, mommy has an sts, sell mommys sts? Oh, mommy probably wouldn't understand the logic there...
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner...

What on earth does she need an S55 for? That's a five-hundred horsepower, hundred-thousand dollar monster. Who in their right mind gets groceries in that? For 100k you could easily one-up Earl and probably build a garage to boot! Tell you what; because I'm such a generous guy, go ahead and get the S55 and I'll trade you a custom four-door SVX for it. Will that make you both happy?

You can't justify owning an SVX because of practicality. An SVX is a toy. Owning one (or many) is a hobby. Some people play with classic cars as a hobby, and it's a fine hobby to have. Tell her that you're trying to get a head start. There are plenty of other, much worse ways to waste money than cars. You could get a drug habit, buy a boat or airplane, or go on a gambling binge. There's a strong argument to be made that owning a German car is a pretty lousy way to spend your money. (Of course, I deliberately and knowingly purchased one of Subaru's biggest lemons, so I guess I'm in no position to take the high ground on that one.)

It sounds to me like she doesn't want the Mercedes, but rather she wants you to drive it in lieu of the SVX. If that's the way it is, then you only have one argument: The SVX is a toy, please let me have my toy. (If she thinks you can afford an S55, then you can most certainly afford an SVX as a luxury toy.

If she is the one who wants to be driving the Benz, then the arguments is that she should be the one making the compromise. (I'm not sure how the S55 is any more practical than the STS, but I'm not intimately familiar with either car.)

In either case, owning a second SVX is owning a toy. If the boss says no, I'd say you're out of luck. She may be wrong, but that's the way it goes. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:23 AM

Well Thanks for all your SUPPORT !just an update I'm still plugging away softly on the second SVX idea .Let me give all of you a little back on my situation, We together make a great living, so money is not the real problem .I had a service co. for about 12 years and was getting really tired of the late hours.So after we had our second child we had to figure out what to do, I would take our first kid over to grandads before I would leave for work ,but after awhile when she started walking and talking I could tell it was getting to be to much for Granddad! In the mean time my wife started working for her brothers mortgage co. and let me tell you in the beginning things were tough . She would be paid from the brother-in-laws credit card.Well that was then , Now they just moved again into a 16K square foot building (with about 65 people and the plan is to double to about 120 people). So when we knew about the second child we had to do something, so I sold my business and started working from home and got Grandad off the hook(I knew it wouldn't last)Meanwhile they kept exspanding the co. to where they are now and my wife is now the VP of operations and is basicly the bread winner here. she will double what I will make but I still love the fact that we don't have to have a nanny or something like that! Well let me get to the point, they have loan officers making money you can't beleive , they buy new cars , $4k watches etc ( and these are kids and when I say kids i mean in the mid 20's) So she comes home from work the other day and says to me Quote you know dear you have your SVX as a toy ,I think i want to go drive a Viper this weekend .So needless to say I orderd my rock climbing equipment , because this will be one H**l of a hill to get over . Wish me luck
Old 08-16-2005, 10:11 PM
SVX Appeal

The average millionaire drives a Ford F150. I believe that Bill Gates was one of many very wealthy people who helped put a boring domestic truck at the top of the list. Strangely, the people who really have money often appear less wealthy than the average joe. They may have a nice house, because property isn't a horrible investment, but they drive cheap used cars because cars are always poor investments and are almost always losing investments. I may drive a car that's a decade old, but I own it. People tend to have a lot of pride in driving an expensive car, but they seem to forget that - at least most of them - are driving somebody else's car: Their bank's. A $4000 watch is nice, but if you owe money to anyone, you're indirectly financing that watch. It makes you look rich, but the bank is the one making all the money.

If you have money, by all means spend it. Just don't lose sight of the illusion that many of those people have bought using borrowed money. There are people out there who drive $50k, $75k, and sometimes even $100k cars, yet they park them under a Wal-Mart car cover in front of their mobile home. ...and they will always live in a mobile home because of the interest on their car loan, which could easily be used towards a home. It just doesn't make them look or feel as rich and thus doesn't offer them that illusion they seek.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:43 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Well put UberRoo, I would never even think of buying a brand new car unless it was a buisness tax writeoff, basicilly meaning that $35,000 car only costs me arround $20,000 of what I would see after taxes, I often look at new cars, but they just don't add up
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:18 AM

I'm right with you guys as a previous car salesmen, the best buy is always a 2 or 3 year old car
Old 08-17-2005, 02:45 AM
SVX Appeal

The economic imprudence of buying a new car was only half my point. The other [bigger] half is that many people who appear to be very wealthy are not, and that those who actually have pennies in their piggies don't tend to divulge or evince their financial success, let alone in the overt manner extolled by MTV.

If you've seen the movie American Beauty, you may remember the line, "In order to be successful, you must project an image of success at all times." There's some truth to that, but some people use the concept to justify the means. Still, it makes you wonder how they made it: Microsoft, 1978
Old 08-17-2005, 05:13 AM

I would love nothing more then buy my curtains from JC Penny's then have this custom crap that my wife has going on, but there is a give and take! I get what i want but I'm cheap, So my Items are not so big . My wife spends BIG I would rather buy my stuff from Walmart and Bank the rest but this is a tough battle!.Any help or advice would really be appreciated! All I want is a 4k SVX not a 4k couch!
Old 08-18-2005, 03:44 AM
SVX Appeal

You wife works for a mortgage company. That should mean she's good with numbers. Perhaps you could give her a refresher course on how a $4000 SVX with it's timeless and simultaneously futuristic styling is a less horrible way to spend money than on the wardrobe of the week which is probably already out of style in the neighboring time zone.

Honestly, you're probably SOL on this one. My knowledge of women is actually less than zero. Much like anti-matter, which somehow exists despite the fact that nobody knows how it can be 'anti', my IQ is actually reduced by everything I know about women. I think they can hear the sucking sound my brain makes when I try to figure out what's going on.

Somehow this seems relevant:

Reasons Why Cars Are Better Than Women:
Reason 30: Car's curves never sag.
Reason 29: Cars don't get pregnant.
Reason 28: You can drive a car any time of the month.
Reason 27: Cars don't have parents.
Reason 26: Cars don't whine unless something is really wrong.
Reason 25: You can kick your car to wake it up.
Reason 24: You can share your car with your friends.
Reason 23: If your car makes too much noise, you can buy a muffler.
Reason 22: If your car smokes, you can do something about it.
Reason 21: Cars don't care about how many other cars you have driven.
Reason 20: Cars don't mind if you look at other cars, or if you buy car magazines.
Reason 19: If your car is too loose, you can tighten it.
Reason 18: If your car is mis-aligned, you don't have to discuss politics to correct it.
Reason 17: You can have a beer while driving your car.
Reason 16: You can have a black car and show it to your parents.
Reason 15: You don't have to be jealous of the guy that works on your car.
Reason 14: You don't have to deal with priests or blood-tests to register your car.
Reason 13: You don't have to convince your car that you're a driver and that you think that cars are equals.
Reason 12: If you say bad things to your car, you don't have to apologize before you can drive it again.
Reason 11: You can drive a car as long as you want.
Reason 10: Your parents don't remain in touch with your old car after you dump it.
Reason 9: Cars always feel like going for a drive.
Reason 8: Cars don't insult you if you are a bad driver.
Reason 7: Your car never wants a night out alone with the other cars.
Reason 6: Cars don't care if you are late.
Reason 5: You don't have to take a shower before driving your car.
Reason 4: It's always ok to use tie downs on your car.
Reason 3: If your car doesn't look good, you can paint it or get better parts.
Reason 2: You don't have to buy your car flowers and candy to drive it.
Reason 1: You can't get diseases from a car you don't know very well.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:53 AM

Uberoo, All I can say is that is awesome LOL , But I will not give up my quest (and I will make it happen, I have the force with me )thought I'd throw a little futuristic stuff in here ! I know the ERAL thing will never happen but I would love to save just one more SVX!