How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 08-01-2005, 02:08 PM
SVXtra

Should marijuana be decriminalized?

Do you think its time for our government to endorse the decriminalization of marijuana for medical use as prescribed by a physician? Or perhaps even out right legalization for adults over the age of 21? Or do you support our governments position that marijuana should remain illegal?
Old 08-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
A little refresher before this discussion gets going. Please follow the forum rules when posting. Political/religous topics tend to get a little heated, so please don't force us to moderate this discussion. Please read the two sections below. The first is the Forum Rules that everyone agreed to to allow them to become members, the second is the stickey at the begining of the OT forum. After you read them, go ahead with all your livley debate.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Forum Rules
"Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of The Subaru SVX World Network will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of The Subaru SVX World Network, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of The Subaru SVX World Network reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

I have read, and agree to abide by the The Subaru SVX World Network rules."

Forum Request
I would like to make a request. We started this forum "Not Exactly SVX" so members could discuss topics that were not only about the SVX. That is what it is all about. Just like families, we sometimes need or want to discuss other things that interest us. BUT, it seems that some members feel that it is a place to start arguments, or force their own agendas onto others.

I would like to ask you to keep your threads to discussions that are "not over the edge". and not done in a negative way. I am not pointing my finger at anyone, but would like you to consider this as you post. As usual, if a threat gets too bad, it will be moderated. I am not here to censor, but to moderate. When members report threads to me, I look into them and will respond in a proper manner for the good of the order.

Thank You for your cooperation."
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker

Last edited by mohrds; 08-01-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Recluse

Send a message via MSN to Darksied-X Send a message via Yahoo to Darksied-X
Yes, and tax the hell out of it.

'03 WRX Wagon, World Rally Blue
'94 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red
'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
(and legally, an '01 Outback VDC skankmobile)
Old 08-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds

Cliff Notes: Don't be a rooster and we won't have to decapitate you.

Back to the subject at hand. Should marijuana be decriminalized?

Where's the poll.

I'd like to choose, I don't care.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Tim-H

I'd rather it weren't, i dont want to be walking down the street or in a restaurant/bar and get a contact high. Plus it just gives another substance for people to drive intoxicated on. I realize people already drive high, but i think legalization would just make the problem worse.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-H
...i don't want to be walking down the street or in a restaurant/bar and get a contact high.
With all due respect for your concern, I gotta say that I've been subject to that and I don't think it can be done. If it could, it would be a wonderful alibi for drug screening tests...

Last edited by Beav; 08-01-2005 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Legal? Sure. The anti-smoking nazis will whine, but we'll be too spaced out to care.

Ron (Mmmmmm...box o' pot).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
I personally think that since alcohol is legal, and smoking tobacco is legal... i can't justify having marijauna illegal. i personally think that its less "dangerous" to others. you don't hear people who are high going on angry rampages and hurting people... theres a variety of other reasons.. but i don't feel like typing. so i say "legalize for 21 and over"

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 08-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Hater

Quote:
A little refresher before this discussion gets going. Please follow the forum rules when posting. Political/religous topics tend to get a little heated, so please don't force us to moderate this discussion. Please read the two sections below. The first is the Forum Rules that everyone agreed to to allow them to become members, the second is the stickey at the begining of the OT forum. After you read them, go ahead with all your livley debate.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Forum Rules
"Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of The Subaru SVX World Network will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of The Subaru SVX World Network, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of The Subaru SVX World Network reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

I have read, and agree to abide by the The Subaru SVX World Network rules."

Forum Request
I would like to make a request. We started this forum "Not Exactly SVX" so members could discuss topics that were not only about the SVX. That is what it is all about. Just like families, we sometimes need or want to discuss other things that interest us. BUT, it seems that some members feel that it is a place to start arguments, or force their own agendas onto others.

I would like to ask you to keep your threads to discussions that are "not over the edge". and not done in a negative way. I am not pointing my finger at anyone, but would like you to consider this as you post. As usual, if a threat gets too bad, it will be moderated. I am not here to censor, but to moderate. When members report threads to me, I look into them and will respond in a proper manner for the good of the order.

Thank You for your cooperation."

Bogus, Mr Hand!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-02-2005, 12:01 AM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
I personally think that since alcohol is legal, and smoking tobacco is legal... i can't justify having marijauna illegal.
We sure have a lot of laws for a country that prides itself on being a free nation. You'd think that more people would be able to make the mental leap that if one mind-altering, or disease-causing drug is illegal, why aren't all of them?

The way I see it, we can either fail miserably and at great expense in enforcing stupid and mostly ineffectual laws which prohibit certain drugs, or we can fail to a lesser degree at a lesser expense in enforcing more rational regulation which allows certain drugs. The prohibition of alcohol was a dismal failure, and illustrates how attempting to curtail one problem can create much larger problems. It's a lessor of two evils equation.

One obvious problem is that the subject is rather explosive. Even in the face of overwhelming evidence, agencies such as the DEA would not acknowledge that they are a waste of tax dollars. I don't know that they are a complete waste of tax dollars, but it's certainly not in their best interest to admit it were it to be true. Politicians wax rhapsodic about the evils of drugs, but rarely does anyone explore the issue with any depth. Drug manufacturers, smugglers, and dealers love the big money that their product fetches. The reason for the high price tag is because they are illegal. People employed to enforce drug laws also love illegal drugs. Busybodies who simply need something to complain about love illegal drugs. For anyone directly involved with illegal drugs, the illegal nature of them is the appeal. It's really in their best interest that they remain illegal. The only people who don't like the fact that some drugs are illegal are the end users, and the consequential unintended victims of the illegal drug trade. Of course, the end users don't really have a voice in the issue, and the consequential victims aren't directly involved enough to associate why somebody would break into their house and steal their stuff with the need for money to buy illegal drugs.

Drug laws will probably not change for a very, very long time. Should they? Some of us think so. The simple problem is that the climate is not right. All the forces are pushing in the wrong direction. I've never used illegal drugs. I've never had a problem with anyone using illegal drugs. The only problems I've had with illegal drugs is from people stealing my stuff to afford illegal drugs. I can thank the government for making them so expensive that some people would have to steal my stuff. I can thank the government for spending billions of dollars, some of which are mine, and having absolutely nothing to show for it.

Nobody really knows if legalizing more drugs would improve anything, but since nobody is willing to try it we'll never know. I think the only reason tobacco and alcohol are still legal is because of the money backing the companies who produce the stuff. Nobody gave Manual Noriega any trouble until he stopped playing ball. Once he stopping being a useful asset to the US government, they hunted him down and locked him up. Cocaine dollars are just as green as tobacco dollars, but they're just not transparent enough.

Illegal drugs are an interesting topic, but ultimately somewhat fruitless to discuss. I'd love to see how it would play out if more drugs were legalized, but it'll never happen. Even if it did, the FDA would get involved and the prices would remain the same. If the government had inflated the market with a different flavor of propaganda, instead of the "drugs are evil" shtick, they'd probably be eager to capitalize on it. Oops! Maybe next time.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:45 AM

I'm not really concerned one way or the other, I don't use any drugs other than alcohol.

I see the drug enforcement being a huge waste of tax money, but so are a lot of other things (like corn subsidies to corporate farms). I've never heard of a turf war over cigarettes, but certainly there are some over illegal drugs.

Legalizing it would save money and some lives and possibly cost other lives. I say possibly because I don't think that someone buying a pack of "Marlboro Reefer 100s" at the local gas station is going to be any more likely to get high and drive than someone who buys it in a drug house currently.

America is about freedom of choice, even if that choice is self-destructive. How many people destroy their lives with booze? Yet that is legal.

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 08-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
And it is impossible to protect people from themselves.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 08-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
Even if it did, the Treasury Department would get involved and the prices would remain the same. <or even higher>
Fixed your quote.

"Whatever is good for the common man will never be legal."
Old 08-02-2005, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele
And it is impossible to protect people from themselves.
Yet our government tries like hell.

The last extension cord I bought had so many safety notices, warning labels, and instructions (All in multiple languages), that it took me a half hour to get them all off!

I won't even start on all the stuff that was plastered all over my new lawn mower...

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 08-02-2005, 12:48 PM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Yet our government tries like hell.

...so many safety notices, warning labels, and instructions (All in multiple languages), that it took me a half hour to get them all off!...
I've injured myself removing those safety labels just so I could use the device. Brilliant. We have laws that disallow anything that might enable stupid behavior even if it has other perfectly legitimate applications, but no laws whatsoever that actually prohibit the behavior itself. ...not that we should have either law, but which makes the most sense?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: