SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

View Poll Results: Should cats be let outside?
Inside all the time 12 33.33%
Outside all the time 1 2.78%
Some inside, some outside 10 27.78%
some in, some out, but never out at night! 4 11.11%
Who effing cares? 3 8.33%
Cats taste better with bbq sauce 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2005, 04:07 AM
SVX Appeal

<more crickets>

Cat: The other white meat.

I've never heard of a rat control program that successfully utilized cats. I've heard of many, many failed ventures of that sort however. Cats have many strong instincts, and one of them is to avoid anything that might be construed as productive. The primary objective of a cat is to be a waste of skin. They can sense what your needs and desires are, and they will dedicate themselves to nothing short of complete non-fulfillment of those things they could otherwise achieve. They will kill anything harmless and leave the mess where it will either stink, or where you will step in it. Mind you, they won't eat what they kill, (unless it will make them sick on the carpet,) but they are competent hunters and will use their talents to show you how much disdain they have for your goals. They do this by not killing anything you might want them to kill.

If you have a cat for the purpose of pest control, the best way to cut your losses is to make violin strings. They don't barbecue very well because of the high fat content. Cats are actually more than 100% fat. One cat contains more fat than all the "food" served by the McDonalds' corporation worldwide in 24 hours. The fur is simply an illusion to make them appear as though there was a rational explanation for the fat density. Scientists studying dark matter are studying cats as a possible explanation for the unaccounted mass in the universe. The upside to the high fat content and excessive skin is that you can just throw 'em in the microwave and it's a lot like deep fat frying them. If you're worried about cholesterol or hardened arteries, I'd advise against eating one. Cat fat will turn your arteries into titanium and your blood into crude oil.</BS>
Old 07-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
inside-outside cats get SQUASHED in 6 months, Usually after you spent $90. on shots! Save your money, if you live in the city, SHOOT it and save suffering of laying under the shed and slowly bleeding to death! Our dats (2) are prisonors of the house, but they don't care, They get tuna, litter and scratched on the head, BUT only when they want it!Jerry
Old 07-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
The primary objective of a cat is to be a waste of skin. They can sense what your needs and desires are, and they will dedicate themselves to nothing short of complete non-fulfillment of those things they could otherwise achieve. They will kill anything harmless and leave the mess where it will either stink, or where you will step in it. Mind you, they won't eat what they kill, (unless it will make them sick on the carpet,) but they are competent hunters and will use their talents to show you how much disdain they have for your goals. They do this by not killing anything you might want them to kill.

If you have a cat for the purpose of pest control, the best way to cut your losses is to make violin strings. They don't barbecue very well because of the high fat content. Cats are actually more than 100% fat. One cat contains more fat than all the "food" served by the McDonalds' corporation worldwide in 24 hours. The fur is simply an illusion to make them appear as though there was a rational explanation for the fat density. Scientists studying dark matter are studying cats as a possible explanation for the unaccounted mass in the universe. The upside to the high fat content and excessive skin is that you can just throw 'em in the microwave and it's a lot like deep fat frying them. If you're worried about cholesterol or hardened arteries, I'd advise against eating one. Cat fat will turn your arteries into titanium and your blood into crude oil.</BS>
I love cats, but that is still funny as hell.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Gee, Ubie, you may not relaize it but you also gave a great description of an average politician!
Old 07-13-2005, 12:52 AM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
Gee, Ubie, you may not relaize it but you also gave a great description of an average politician!
Are you trying to insult cats or politicians?
Old 07-13-2005, 08:37 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I figure cats are just less evolved dogs. Dogs once roamed free, but have been fully domesticated to the point that they don't mind (most of 'em) being inside. Some actually prefer it. Cats will eventually be domesticated into walking on leashes, going outside to use the facilities, etc.

As for the rat problem, I don't know too many domestically bred cats that could fend off or kill a rat. Considering the mess that would be left (not to mention the diseases the cat would pick up), you'd be probably less grossed out by just buying a hundred disposable rat traps and letting the cat sleep on the couch.

We used to have a neighbor who'd let their cat roam free. The damn thing would just sit on our window sill and taunt the dogs. Glad they moved.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 07-13-2005, 08:54 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I think it really depends on the situation. I grew up with many, many cats. Some lived in the barn, some lived in the house and some never went out at all. But we lived on a farm and the cats were unlikely to get run over by something. Eaten by a coyote, maybe.

Right now my wife and I have two cats. Neither is allowed outside because we live in a relatively dense suburban neighborhood. Even when we lived in MI in a pretty sparse country neighborhood we still didn't let them outside.

I guess, for me, I want a minimum amount of land for the cats to roam around on without being run over before I let them out. And even then I probably wouldn't let our current cats out because they're institutionalized. Everything they find in the house is a toy and probably not dangerous to them.

But you're talking about mousers - cats kept around to control pests. That sounds similar to our barn cats. I'm not saying they're somehow second class citizens, but I think as long as you provide them with food, water and good shelter they should be fine. Rats are probably a bit big for them to handle unless you have a particularly large cat.

If you want to kill rats you might consider a dog instead. My mom's dogs kill rats by the hundreds on her farm. Some gross stories, there...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 07-13-2005 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:00 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Cats have many strong instincts, and one of them is to avoid anything that might be construed as productive. The primary objective of a cat is to be a waste of skin.
You've clearly never met my cats. They're very productive. Unfortunately their daily endeavors are usually things I have to undo when I get home.

My cats, by the way, steal knives. I wish I could get that on film.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-13-2005, 09:49 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
My cats, by the way, steal knives. I wish I could get that on film.
They are just perfecting their fighting skills. One day you'll come home and they'll be ready to take you prisoner

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 07-13-2005, 10:03 AM
Certified Porschephile

To the person who had the neighbor's cat torment their dogs. Open the window. I'm sure my younger Shepard is just itchin' for her first taste of cat. She hates the damn things. We had 5 cats and then got our first German Shepard. She pretty much left them alone. The second Shepard hates cats and we had to get rid of all 5 of them. My wife still misses them, but she bought the damn dogs so it's her problem.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:11 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Inside all the time. Outside cats get run over by cars; I lost 3 that way.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 07-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
The stray cats around here kill rabbits, mice, and snakes.
Yes, snakes.
Tough little bastards.

Our old shepherd/husky mutt killed chickens, geese, rabbits, woodchucks, mice, rats, squirrels, maimed small yippy dogs, wounded larger dogs, and was once seen running down a deer. He was a damn killer. Sweet as pie with the family though. I still miss that dog. Never saw him bring home a snake though.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:

<more crickets>

Cat: The other white meat.

I've never heard of a rat control program that successfully utilized cats. I've heard of many, many failed ventures of that sort however. Cats have many strong instincts, and one of them is to avoid anything that might be construed as productive. The primary objective of a cat is to be a waste of skin. They can sense what your needs and desires are, and they will dedicate themselves to nothing short of complete non-fulfillment of those things they could otherwise achieve. They will kill anything harmless and leave the mess where it will either stink, or where you will step in it. Mind you, they won't eat what they kill, (unless it will make them sick on the carpet,) but they are competent hunters and will use their talents to show you how much disdain they have for your goals. They do this by not killing anything you might want them to kill.

Old 07-13-2005, 07:30 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelfy
in my neighborhood, mostly brown bears and mountain lions.

if isn't smart enough to watch for both, then they deserve to die.

outside all the way...until they start breeding and annoying you outside your own house, then they should be put underground.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:33 AM
SVX Appeal

I've had several cats and all of them were permitted to come and go as they pleased. I live in a pretty rural area, but with a busy road not too far away. The first cat grew to a very old age and then just disappeared one day without a trace. The second was hit by a car when it was somewhere around five [human] years old. The third cat still resides with me and has managed to lower the bar even further, as it's about as bright as a goldfish. (No offense meant to the goldfish.) I like cats, but aside from their company - if they choose to offer it - I've never observed a cat being useful in any way.

I once spoke with a cattle farmer who kept about a dozen cats to keep the barn free of rats. He swore up and down that the cats did a good job, but when I pressed him for some evidence of the cats killing a rat, all he was able to turn up was plenty of living rats. Likewise, a friend of mine bought four cats to control a squirrel problem. They had the female cat spayed before they turned all of them loose to kill. Much to their dismay, the cats loafed about and never killed anything. Even worse, out of the four cats, apparently three of them were female, but two were mistaken for males. So guess what? Now they have a cat infestation to go along with their squirrel infestation.

My cat sometimes kills a vole, which is a pretty harmless animal, and very occasionally kills a mouse. The cats before my current one were the same. They all kill(ed) birds and baby rabbits pretty frequently though.

I do know of one cat that killed pests. You know those yappy little dogs that sit inside cars and bark at everything? The ones that operate like car alarms that never shut off? I knew someone who had a cat that killed those. Other cats would come home with birds, but it would come home with dogs, or sometimes parts of a dog. It was a big cat, but some of the dogs were about the same size. I don't really remember the details of the story, but I think it eventually met it's match.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: