SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 02:22 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Perhaps they can do a Tribeca XT, it is highly unlikely they will do a STi. As for the looks, I don't think its too bad. Sort of like a bloated cross between an Alpha Romeo 147, Renault Clio and a SEAT Ibiza, I guess you can call it a Euro smush. It is not the worst looking SUV, but not the best either, it would have look better if it was Escape sized but at the size it currently is some of the cues look too bulbous and elongated (and that also wouldn’t be the right size for its market). And as for timing, I can agree, it is bad.

The best overal and most Subaruesque angled view in my opinion, even though from the backish side I can see some of its Legacy Outback based chassis.

I apologize if I am giving anyone the willies.

Last edited by Weebitob; 05-27-2005 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Certified Porschephile

If you think this looks hideous, what till you see the Outback sized version of this honker, ouch! I'm sorry, the new Audi "look" is better then this garbage, and that's bad.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:47 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebitob
As for the looks, I don't think its too bad.

The pictures hide some of its ugliness. You must see one in person to fully understand my unfavorable view

Dave
Old 05-27-2005, 02:59 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobiesvx93
I smell a flop
What bothers me is that we have two of these now, and neither one was pre-sold. Every time Subaru introduces a new or updated model (05 Legacy, Forester turbo, STI, etc..) we had at least a few that were sold before we even got them. Our first 2 Tribecas are not sold. Now maybe they are the wrong colors, or have the wrong options......maybe we do have a few that are pre-sold but they just have not arrived yet. At any rate it's weird for me to see a new model come in and not immediatly go home with somebody.

Dave
Old 05-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Subarus

Hi everyone, I think what we see here is The gereral[gm] sticking its finger in the pie. If there is a car company that doesn't know wnat it is doing its the general. I don't like turbochargers myself so instead of this thing I would like to see the Legacy GT with the 3.0 liter flat six. I would not have the car with a turbocharged four. Of course when the go ahead was given fur the new SUV gas had not gone through the roof. It was just starting to move up. If we all had hindsight we be would look smart. Take care and put me down as not a customer for the new Subby, BOBB
Old 05-27-2005, 04:19 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb
Hi everyone, I think what we see here is The gereral[gm] sticking its finger in the pie. If there is a car company that doesn't know wnat it is doing its the general.
If there's a better way to invite Shadow to hijack the thread, I can't think of one.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-27-2005, 05:42 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Quote:
Hi everyone, I think what we see here is The gereral[gm] sticking its finger in the pie. If there is a car company that doesn't know wnat it is doing its the general.
I will say it once and I will say it again. The Tribeca is based on an extended Legacy platform, no GM parts included, except for the Alison based transmission maybe. Just because GM desires something does not automatically make it necessarily theirs, when they wanted a Saab SUV based on the Tribeca platform they asked, with one hand extended and the other with a briefcase, or a checking account stashed somewhere, full of cash for the proposal.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:13 PM
THAWA

Quote:
Hi everyone, I think what we see here is The gereral[gm] sticking its finger in the pie. If there is a car company that doesn't know wnat it is doing its the general. I don't like turbochargers myself so instead of this thing I would like to see the Legacy GT with the 3.0 liter flat six. I would not have the car with a turbocharged four. Of course when the go ahead was given fur the new SUV gas had not gone through the roof. It was just starting to move up. If we all had hindsight we be would look smart. Take care and put me down as not a customer for the new Subby, BOBB
move to japan then.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
Yeah, well, they missed the mark. I was pulling for it to succeed.

If they'd introduce a real Brat clone with a 1.8 or 2.2 and the old "On-Demand" 4WD and a usable cargo bed, and offer factory accessories like bike/surfboard/ski racks and off-road packages, price it competitively and market it aggressively to generation Xterra, they wouldn't be able to build 'em fast enough.

They need another platform. Hmm... maybe the SVX?

dcb
Great idea about a real BRAT clone. The Baja is the first Subaru I've thought was just plain ugly, and for me that's saying a lot. For chrissakes, do the thing right and remove the rear seats and give it a decent sized bed! I had a Dodge Rampage (anybody remember those?) that I still miss. Based on an Omni chassis, it had 3 times the bed the Baja has, and actually looked good too.

One thing comes to mind reading the scalding reviews about the Tribeca styling: They sound a lot like the reviews the new WRX got when it was introduced.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Certified Porschephile

A real BRAT would be nice. As for BOBB and his complaints of the 2.5GT, get the Outback sedan 3.0R, same horsepower, and no turbo lag. The flat-6 should be a great highway runner.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:03 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

The outback sedan looks like an off road car...looks like its lifted.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 05-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Certified Porschephile

The Outback does have a higher ride height then the Legacy. But since there is no Legacy 3.0R, you can mod the suspension on the Outback to ride lower, which will be better then a stock GT anyway. Chip it and replace the aweful brakes and you'd have a 300hp flat-6 that turns and stops.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:11 PM
THAWA

You're expecting to get 50 hp through the use of a chip? I doubt that greatly. Especially considering no 6 cyl subaru has a modding background.

I love the way outback SUS's look. Only the B line though.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:13 PM
THAWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxxx26
One thing comes to mind reading the scalding reviews about the Tribeca styling: They sound a lot like the reviews the new WRX got when it was introduced.
Exactly. This is true subaru styling, a love it or hate it affair. After a while it grows on you though.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:03 AM
antidisestablishmentarian

Send a message via AIM to Rd96SVX Send a message via MSN to Rd96SVX
I'm casting my vote for.... hate it, but that's just MO, I do however, like the new saab SUV thingy(which, btw has a very good commercial out) why am i finding out about the tribeca through this site... it should be plastered on the tv.. who is in charge of marketing and advertising for subaru?.. they need a kick in the arse....remember those croc dundee commercials for the outback, they where everwhere... we need a new "face"& "voice" for subaru.....or at least have the old one chime in a bit...
25,000 lb GVW Trans-Cooler
Wet-sanded "cleared" Headlights
Charcoal 22% Tint
Removed intake resonator
'95 Probe GT Wheels
'97 grille

"New Addition" 1992 Teal LS-L
+156k mi.
Status... Reconditioning