Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-22-2005, 03:10 PM
OrthopodSvx

Starter install

Starter question:

I forgot which terminal is pos, and which is neg. There is one terminal that has a black wire going to it from the body of the starter. Is this the negative one? Does anyone have a picture?

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:01 PM

the starter has two wires, both positive. One thick from the battery, and one thin (with a plug) that energizes the solenoid, the latter gets there via the starter interupt relay (for OEM alarm) and the inhibitor switch (so the starter only engages when in P or N).

Negative is provided through the engine block and a wire from the battery connects to a bolt or some sort of bracket (I forget) that attaches the transaxle to the engine.

sorry, no photo, maybe someone else has one, hope this tides you over unti then.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pages from system wiring diagrams.pdf (50.3 KB, 93 views)
Old 02-22-2005, 06:22 PM
OrthopodSvx

I think you solved my problem. I was not able to get the starter to turn the torque converter, just click. I was afraid that I had reversed the polarity, but from your response I now think that could not be an issue. I did however forget to reconnect the wire that grounds the transmission. This sounds like the most likely problem.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Another issue is that in some cases not enough power is being sent through the ignition to the starter solenoid. I, among others, have installed a relay to solve the problem.

The ignition now powers the relay and the relay now powers the solenoid.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:00 PM
OrthopodSvx

your help needed!

All right. Someone has to have a picture of the starter installed. I really only need to see the position of one of the two main wires. Better yet, if someone will look and tell me if the cable with the yellow stripe connects to the terminal more toward the driver’s side, or passenger side. This will be very appreciated.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:08 PM

Re: your help needed!

Quote:
Originally posted by OrthopodSvx
All right. Someone has to have a picture of the starter installed. I really only need to see the position of one of the two main wires. Better yet, if someone will look and tell me if the cable with the yellow stripe connects to the terminal more toward the driver’s side, or passenger side. This will be very appreciated.
OK ya big baby - quit whining (J/K - let me know if this is enough or you need me to pull back on the pic for a wider view).

The thick wire with the stripe is connected to a bracket near the starter - the bracket is held on by one of the transaxle/engine mounting bolts. See red circle.

A plain, thick, black wire is attached to a post on the starter itself. see green circle.

A third, thin, wire is attached to the stater assembly (solenoid wire) - it comes out of a bundle. see blue circle.

It's hard to see all three wires & placement in one shot, but didn't want to use up too much bandwidth. Can provide more if needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (47.6 KB, 97 views)
Old 02-25-2005, 05:41 PM
OrthopodSvx

Thank you Lee. Your always helping ignorant people like me and I thank you for it. I’m just waiting for the day when you post a question that I can answer. Oh, and big baby is sort of a complement; Its much better than dumb old man.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:43 PM

Concerning you being ignorant...you should take the opportunity sometime to come to East Central FLA and see me in action....For example: a couple of weeks ago I R&R'ed a transverse V-6 in my daughter's Lexus. Before pulling it I noticed there had been something leaking...well as you might have guessed by now, I ignored it and now I think her tranny case is cracked. It would have been so easy to address when it was all out...makes me want to either hit myself in the head with a hammer or cry, haven't decided which one I'm gonna do yet.

Mostly I'm glad my dumb joke didn't bug you...in retrospect I shouldn't have said it. I'm thinking you're pretty frustrated with the starter thing - so you must have more patience than me - to be able to take being teased in the middle of a job not going as planned. It's always tough (for me) to know how to joke/tease someone over the net since there's no chance for real-time feedback.

Finally, you're welcome...and just to keep the record straight, I'm still in the received more help than given column.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:40 PM
OrthopodSvx

Thumbs up

Today my car started for the first time in four months. New 4.44 tranny, new eclipse sound system, new calipers, rotors, CV axles, ECU tune, front sway bar bushings, alternator, battery, several nuts, bolts, and lots of beer..... Thank you Lee! Your picture was worth a thousand words.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:02 PM

Thumbs up

If I knew you had all that stuff, I might not have helped - hoping you'd donate it to me

Don't ya love a happy ending