IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-23-2005, 09:46 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Mel,
What's the shop in CO that's familiar with SVXes?
My personal opinion would be to keep the car and fix the tranny (whichever way you go) because 1. love the car, 2. the cost is relative compared to a replacement car, 3. love the car.....
But I know your money has to be tight and I can truly understand that.
Keep your chin up and ask us all however many questions you like, cause that's what we're here for!

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 02-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Rockymtnmel

Would you keep her???

My fingers are crossed for you!
I only got 12,000 after I bought her. Second tranny however got 80,000 plus. But even without the updates I KNOW SHE NEEDS, I know her past(or can find out) so I have all the confidence that I treat her right...She'll give me many more miles of smiles!
Old 02-23-2005, 10:17 PM
Rockymtnmel

Sorry to much of the watering hole apparently...car problems will do that to you if your not careful. Your reply was intended for NikFu S. I'll have to cut and paste (if possible) rookie online and I'm sure I'll screw up more than once so..........

The response to your question regarding Co shop....Don't know the name...Didnt need it cause I'm not there however, It has to be located down around Canyon City, Penrose, area. I was born and raised in Colorado Springs. Not familiar with Clifton but can get you an addy if you'd like.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:24 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Rockymtnmel
Sorry to much of the watering hole apparently...car problems will do that to you if your not careful. Your reply was intended for NikFu S. I'll have to cut and paste (if possible) rookie online and I'm sure I'll screw up more than once so..........

The response to your question regarding Co shop....Don't know the name...Didnt need it cause I'm not there however, It has to be located down around Canyon City, Penrose, area. I was born and raised in Colorado Springs. Not familiar with Clifton but can get you an addy if you'd like.
Mel,
Just a tip... try the quote button when you're responding to a particular post. Or just let us sort it out.... we're used to it!

The addy isn't necessary... I'm over on the west side anyway... was just curious.

I sent you a private message by the way.... you might want to check your PM box in case you don't have notification turned on. Need help with anything at all you can email me at thndrmtnbishops@juno.com
I'm also on Yahoo Messenger and AIM... see my signature.....

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 02-24-2005, 10:34 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Re: Would you keep her???

Quote:
Originally posted by Rockymtnmel
My fingers are crossed for you!
I only got 12,000 after I bought her. Second tranny however got 80,000 plus. But even without the updates I KNOW SHE NEEDS, I know her past(or can find out) so I have all the confidence that I treat her right...She'll give me many more miles of smiles!
It would not be unfathomable for your tranny to hold for over 100k if it is indeed treated right.
It is highly recommended an external cooler be installed in series with the radiator.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Rockymtnmel

Re: Re: Would you keep her???

Quote:
Originally posted by NikFu S.

It would not be unfathomable for your tranny to hold for over 100k if it is indeed treated right.
It is highly recommended an external cooler be installed in series with the radiator.
Will definately make sure this is done!
Thanks!
Old 02-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Rockymtnmel

Would you keep her???

UPDATE:
It's been a little over a week and I put an additive in her (after the flush.) I've driven her 153 miles and not seeing alot of change.
This is good, (at least as far as I can tell she's not getting any worse!) I've been bombarded at work at the most opportune time, and havent been able to do much more than contemplate my choices. Bad weathers setting in so might be a few more days until I can do something. I've been looking into referrels for trustworthy shops, and have been given options other than closest dealer. They're at least an hour or more away, so its a necessity to wait for the end of the week.

Latest from the dealer: "If it was electrical you would be getting a 17 flash code from the dummy lights but we'll put her on the scanner if thats what you want." (Made sence so I haven't gone there).

Will keep in touch and appreciate your advice, suggestions, and jokes! *ambush* (LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE!)
Thanks all,
Old 02-28-2005, 11:48 PM

i dont know how deep you are trying to get

but i would say (its just me) if you are replacing the tranny you should go 5mt or 6mt. a bit more involved and expensive, but you can expect those to far outlast the stock 4EAT should you have that replaced.

not to mention, how cool would that be to have a 5spder SVX... pretty damn cool.

although it is snappy to just drop the old one out and bring up the new one.....

just a couple pennies

and i say dont trust that dealer,, i never trust the dealers... they are grimy